Vaping and Acid Reflux (GERD, LPR, Heartburn, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapenewbie

Mar 15, 2016
Hey y'all,

Before I switched to vaping, I was a smoker for around 3 years, smoking half a pack a day. Got really ill out of the blue around 5-6 months ago and developed a really nasty case of acid reflux that became LPR. I don't get any of the heartburn symptoms, but on a good day it feels like there's a lump in my throat that makes it hard to breathe / swallow and on a bad day it feels like I've got strep throat. In any case, this has been going on for a few months now. At around the time this all began to happen I made the switch from smoking to vaping since I was too sick to smoke and vaping didn't feel as harsh on my throat. I'm taking medicine for the reflux and it's slowly getting better, but I'm still very far from actually being cured.

Just wanted to know, does anyone else here suffer from any of the above conditions? Do you find that vaping affects your symptoms? I find that some flavors do and some flavors don't, and it's not really related to the pg/vg content as I originally thought a few months back. There have been some 50/50 flavors that I can vape without any problems and some 90% VG flavors that set off the reflux so bad that my throat closes up and I have problems breathing. Similarly, there are 90% VG flavors that feel incredibly smooth and 50/50 flavors that get me feeling sick as can be.

What do you guys think? Does vaping personally set off your acid reflux? I know that nicotine is supposedly pretty bad for reflux. I've been trying to cure it other ways (eating less, eating smaller portions, not eating sugary / greasy foods as often) and that helps.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I can't really answer your questions. I will relate that my younger sister has gastric reflux and was a smoker (1 ppd). She also had esophageal strictures that required a surgical intervention which almost killed her. She had to be extremely careful about what she eats. Her doctors told her she HAD TO QUIT SMOKING, as well as eliminate chocolate, caffeine, spicy foods, steak, etc. You already know the drill.

She's been vaping for about 6 months now. She's at 12 mg nicotine. I'm not aware of any problems with her digestion concerning her vaping.

Hey y'all,

Before I switched to vaping, I was a smoker for around 3 years, smoking half a pack a day. Got really ill out of the blue around 5-6 months ago and developed a really nasty case of acid reflux that became LPR. I don't get any of the heartburn symptoms, but on a good day it feels like there's a lump in my throat that makes it hard to breathe / swallow and on a bad day it feels like I've got strep throat. In any case, this has been going on for a few months now. At around the time this all began to happen I made the switch from smoking to vaping since I was too sick to smoke and vaping didn't feel as harsh on my throat. I'm taking medicine for the reflux and it's slowly getting better, but I'm still very far from actually being cured.

Just wanted to know, does anyone else here suffer from any of the above conditions? Do you find that vaping affects your symptoms? I find that some flavors do and some flavors don't, and it's not really related to the pg/vg content as I originally thought a few months back. There have been some 50/50 flavors that I can vape without any problems and some 90% VG flavors that set off the reflux so bad that my throat closes up and I have problems breathing. Similarly, there are 90% VG flavors that feel incredibly smooth and 50/50 flavors that get me feeling sick as can be.

What do you guys think? Does vaping personally set off your acid reflux? I know that nicotine is supposedly pretty bad for reflux. I've been trying to cure it other ways (eating less, eating smaller portions, not eating sugary / greasy foods as often) and that helps.
Yeah I have gerd too and had to come off the nic completely also had to do away with caffeine.for that and other reasons, but nexium is an awesome thing lol

vapenewbie

Mar 15, 2016
I definitely do feel like some flavors set it off more than others. Like roxynoodle said, citrus flavors and SOME strong cinnamon flavors set it off (not all of them), so I mostly stick to creamy / smooth flavors. I don't think I want to ditch nicotine completely, so I might do what r77r7r said and just buy straight vg/pg with nicotine and try that. The shop I go to sells 100ml of 90% VG with 3mg nicotine base for around 20-30 bucks, might buy that and try it. From there I might try buying some flavoring and doing basic juice mixes. Thanks guys!

Reactions: r77r7r

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I've been dealing with acid reflux for years, way before vaping. Gaviscon has been my best friend for years. I have a good idea what foods tend to set it off, so indulge in Gaviscon a few hours before bedtime and don't touch anything "questionable" after supper. Roxy mentioned cinnamon, one of the worst things for me to eat. I tried and really liked a cinnamon roll juice, but quickly found that had the same effect as eating a cinnamon roll, so gave it away and don't use any juice with cinnamon anymore.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
You want a Automotive Mechanics advice on safety of Vaping with a Health condition? o_O

Perhaps we could have your Dr change my oil while we discuss the implications :unsure:

I suffer Acid Reflux. I take daily medication, on top of other anti-inflammatory meds. Stomach is always a wreck, Vaping or NOT vaping. So, mostly I Vape and I DIY light flavorings, no Citrus and generally feel no worse(or better) for it.

I am of the school that Vaping may Expose underlying health issues, more so than causing any.
:)

Wonder if he is finished with the car yet? :lol:

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
For me, Nexium is the only med that helps. I'm so glad its OTC now because my insurance company cut me off a few years ago. The years I took the other GERD meds were not good. I developed GERD very suddenly about 6 months before I knew I had chronic pancreatitis. I've always wondered if its related. I also have severe SIBO. No part of my digestive system is working correctly except my liver.

I also had most of my woes before I switched to vaping. As long as I avoid certain flavors, I can't say my GERD is worse from vaping. In fact its been better due to having Nexium again.

Hope you can find the right solution for you. Its not fun worrying about stomach acid drowning you in your sleep.

Reactions: Katmar

vapenewbie

Mar 15, 2016
Looks like cinnamon is a common trigger then, huh.

Also, not really looking for a doctor's opinion, I've been to three different doctors and they all told me that I have reflux and that they don't really know how to deal with it since it's not that common. They couldn't really say much about vaping and reflux other than "nicotine's not good for it." Wanted to know if anyone had any anecdotal experience with their vaping and reflux, and it seems for the most part I'm the same as others here: as you put it, it feels just as bad if I vape or don't vape, with the difference that if I do vape at least the nicotine makes me feel a bit better in general. I'm definitely going to look into DIYing my own juice right after I finish off these last 30 mls I bought in a store.

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I woke up with a sore throat every day for like a year before I got diagnosed with GERD. It even predates my smoking. I got put on Prevacid right away.
I've actually noticed improvements since quitting smoking for vaping. It got better, then smoking made it flare up occasionally. Now it hardly flares up at all again.
And that's bogus that the doctors don't know how to deal with it. GERD affects 10-20% of the population and there are several very effective and safe medications for it. Even stuff like Pepcid and Zantac are better than lying there feeling like your insides are melting all night.

ReacT

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2014
Mars!
en.wikipedia.org
Let me tell you all how to fix reflux and heartburns

I've been with acid reflux, heartburns, heart palpitations because of reflux for at least 10 years now. However, my reflux was increased after I started to vape 3 years ago. I even have a forum thread that I blamed VG about reflux.

I live in a country where ecig is forbidden and I had to learn how to make my own e-juice 3 years ago since i cannot get it easily like you guys. During that 3 years, I have learned a lot about flavors and their ingredients.

Now, reflux and heartburns and all related gastrointestinal problems are not only vaping but some flavors trigger the issue. However, it is an endless cycle and loop that you need to get rid of first. Its not going to be fixed like you dont vape or change flavor, change liquid and think that it will go, no it wont because it can stay silent which will let you to think it is fixed.

When you have reflux, it doesnt matter what you eat. It will always be triggered by anything you eat or vape. A single flavor in a e-liquid contains 8 different chemicals and if a liquid is made of 4 different flavors that makes 32 different chemicals, those chemicals are not causing reflux to a healty stomach but they do perfectly trigger the existed reflux on people who have it already, because when you vape, the steam goes into your all gastrointestinal system as well.

How I fixed my reflux and heartburns ? I didnt fix it, I learned to live with it and be a friend with my stomach by doing the following strictly.

• It doesnt matter if you vape a liquid that is made without flavors, because glycerol and glycol can also trigger your existed reflux because everything ends with 'OL' means kind of alchol and alchol is a reflux friend. I did made a liquid without flavors in the past to test, it was still triggering but with flavor it was worst.

• I stop eating sugar, especially in the morning with tea etc.
  • I stop eating hamburger, cips, chocolate, cacao, all kind of cofee, cola, tomato and tomato paste especially cooked tomato, orange juice, orange, lemon, all kind of spice.
  • I stop eating anything fried.
  • When I had reflux, I strictly eat green only for at least 3 days.
  • I stop eating fast-food.
  • I stop using sweetener in my e-juices like sucralose. Sadly, many premium e-juice have tons of it.

The Most Importants:
  • I stop worrying about life. Stop anxiety.
  • I started to drink at least 2L. water everyday.
  • I stop using any anti-acid medicine, pills magic pills etc..
All you need to do is to follow the above rules for at least 4-6 months and your reflux will go away and you will be able to vape as much as you want. But it doesnt mean that it is gone forever, when you have that reflux one time in your life, that means you will have it again if you dont care your self and eat everything and worry too much, it will return quickly. After you and your stomach are friend and happy, from that moment, keep the above rules but not strickly, just eat sugar sometimes but not everyday, dont eat everything, learn what your stomach dont want and tell your self 'my stomach is the manager'.

So it is not vaping cause reflux and heartburns but it does trigger if you have it already and it doesnt matter what PG/VG ratio or flavor. It is like you drive a ferrari car but with broken engine and you ask yourself why other people dont get reflux from vaping ? Because your engine is broken and it can be repaired. The solution is above. Give your self a promise and follow the above, thank me latter ;) If you dont follow those rules, you will end up in endless cycle of this problem and will continue to blame vape. Remember it is not going to be fixed in a month or two, at least 4-6 months needed with above rules.

I did learn how to live with it that way and I went over 9 doctors in the past, it was always another magic pill.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luke S.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
How I fixed my reflux and heartburns ? I didnt fix it, I learned to live with it and be a friend with my stomach by doing the following strictly.

• It doesnt matter if you vape a liquid that is made without flavors, because glycerol and glycol can also trigger your existed reflux because everything ends with 'OL' means kind of alchol and alchol is a reflux friend. I did made a liquid without flavors in the past to test, it was still triggering but with flavor it was worst.

• I stop eating sugar, especially in the morning with tea etc.
  • I stop eating hamburger, cips, chocolate, cacao, all kind of cofee, cola, tomato and tomato paste especially cooked tomato, orange juice, orange, lemon, all kind of spice.
  • I stop eating anything fried.
  • When I had reflux, I strictly eat green only for at least 3 days.
  • I stop eating fast-food.
  • I stop using sweetener in my e-juices like sucralose. Sadly, many premium e-juice have tons of it.

The Most Importants:
  • I stop worrying about life. Stop anxiety.
  • I started to drink at least 2L. water everyday.
  • I stop using any anti-acid medicine, pills magic pills etc..
All you need to do is to follow the above rules for at least 4-6 months and your reflux will go away

I agree w/most of this. I was "sold the bill of goods" called PPI's (nexium, etc.) and it took me years to get my digestive system back in order because of them. Because as soon as I tried to stop taking them I got what is called REBOUND REFLUX. (which is worse than the reflux you had before). PPIs are not what they were cracked up to be years ago, and more research lately is pointing to this fact.

Diet is essential. Some days I just did greens and stuff like beets. I also quit sugar completely, and worked on healing my gut with the correct probiotic cultures (had a compounding pharmacist make me up a batch that would have required I buy 4 products, now they are all combined).

I was also tested for SIBO. Demand this before you allow them to do all the expensive tests like endoscopies and colonoscopies. SIBO found in a huge % of people with reflux and GERD, but most gastroenterologists are sorely behind in the latest research, and also, they like to make the $$ on the expensive "procedures", then prescribe you some PPIs like Nexium, Protonix, etc. and pretend like they fixed you.

I was told I HAD to take these.........I mean, I was given no choice. Thankfully I started to do a LOT of research, and also found so many people who cured themselves of GERD and reflux, or at least got it 99% under control, using natural methods and diet and lifestyle. I can pretty much eat what I want now, but it took me about a full year to heal my gut.

There are some pretty serious dangers they are finding with PPIs now. They are not harmless.

You are 1,000% correct about the magic pills, but most people really don't want to do what it takes to take control of their health, because it does involve a lot of work. :) And giving up sugar and such is not easy for the first 10 days or so. :lol:

ReacT

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2014
Mars!
en.wikipedia.org
Update on this: @Racehorse
I believe I've found a complete solution for GERD/REFLUX including heart skip, extrasystole, PAC issues.

I have found a herbal shop in my country that was selling a kind of liquid and says fixes GERD and any intestine problems. I wanted to give it a try by hoping that may fix it completely. Well, after 2 days of drinking it I was like 18 years old and eat heavy dinner, huge chocolate cake + heavy vape. After 15 minutes of eating my stomach bloat was gone like normal people. I couldnt believe it but it happened. I used that liquid 2 weeks before breakfast half of cup of tea. And now almost 3 months passed, no sign of GERD or skip heart issues. Of course I was also followed my above GERD solution rules in the past.

You cannot find that liquid in your country as it is available in my country only(none US) but I am sure you can find similar of it.

The main ingredients of this liquid is colewort juice and vinegar of grapes. Try to find this jucie in your country or make it your self if you can. Of course you cannot drink vinegar of grapes directly as it should be diluted with water, those commerical are surely diluted.

I hope this information will help people out there who has GERD/REFLUX and heart skip issues. I'm eaiting like an animal now, I can eat any sweet. I was like one spoon sweet and I'm dead for at least 4 hours stomach bloating and heart skips etc.. before this juice. Of course my above forum reply diet and rules were also important but they were not completely fixing the problem. I have at least a herbal solution now that fixes it and makes you like you are 18 years old again to eat anything.

WARNING:
Drinking colewort juice and vinegar of grapes also clears your kidneys, if you have kidney stones that hidden and waiting in your kidneys, I give you guarantee that you are going to drop them and feel the worst pain in your life. I didnt know that I had kidney stones, they started to drop after I started to use this juice and I dropped 8 piece of huge stones for 6 days and really it was the worst pain in my life. At the first days you drink this juice, you will feel worst as it also kills candida yeasts in intestine which causes a bit bloating and nausea. You will be like re-born after 3 days, hold on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread