Vaping And Dehydration

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
I have read quite a few threads that mention how important it is to stay well hydrated when vaping.

Over the years I have done a couple of things that have forced me to define that phrase "well hydrated".

Until a few years ago I competed in 24 hour mountain bike events. Since those are typically at high altitude (a major cause of dehydration) and the length of the event essentially depleting any hydration that one had before starting, I found I needed a way to stay hydrated, or suffer the consequences; altitude sickness via dehydration. The other thing I did that depleted my "well hydrated" condition was Bikram Yoga for a year. That's strenuous exercise for 90 minutes in a 105 degree room.

I found out that:

1. Drinking one half of your bodies weight (lbs) in ounces of water over the course of a day, for 2-3 days, is one of the best ways to replenish it's hydration level. So, if you weigh 150lbs, then 75 ounces of water each day, for 2-3 days can do the trick.
  2. We all should normally try and drink 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day - 64 fluid ounces of water. Of course few of us do that, so we are not well hydrated to begin with.
  3. If your urine is yellow, you are probably dehydrated to some degree. Of course taking multi-vitamins can cause yellow urine as well, but not for the entire day. Drink enough water to clear up the yellow, before the vitamins.
  4. Nothing is better than water for hydrating the body. Not Gatorade, or coconut water, or electrolyte drinks. Of course they can help in the midst of dehydration, but maintaining a hydrated body is best achieved with good old H2O.
  5. Once you "feel" thirsty you are already experiencing the onset of some dehydration. Don't wait until you are thirsty. Drink water even when do not feel like you need it. I carry around a liter of water every where I go. Sip it as often as I think about it.
  6. The body absorbs water slowly, about 3 ounces per hour. Except when we are sweating, exerting ourselves or depleting through higher altitudes, or in our case, vaping. Then the body will absorb quicker. So, drink lots of water while you are vaping.
  7. The body holds water in our joints when we do not give it enough water. So, when we first begin putting a healthy amount in it, we will need to pee a lot. This only lasts until the body realizes it is getting enough water and does not need to "store" it up.
  8. Over a week or two the bladder will become stronger as it is expected to hold more fluid, and the need to empty it frequently will lessen. Even through the night.
  9. The body needs to be well hydrated to detox us and flush itself clean. And, us ex-smokers need that.
  10. Lastly, nicotine, like caffeine, stimulates the body to want to flush the nicotine out and causes even more loss of hydration.

DRINK WATER ;) AND VAPE ON :2cool:

Last edited:

Poppie

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2012
Detroit, Michigan
This is very interesting to me. Ever since I switched from smoking to vaping I have had issues with having really bad UTI symptoms. I am prone to UTI's. I have had painful and frequent urination and I just couldn't figure out why. I do drink two cups of half-caff coffee a day and I also drink alcohol. I didn't increase my water when I switched to vaping. Some days I am really bad about getting enough water, anyway.
This explains so much.

I'm going to really up the water intake and be vigilant about it. I'm going to decrease the booze and see if this helps.
I'm glad that you posted this. I never would have thought about this. Thanks.

elwcom

Dec 11, 2009
under the bridge
Water is my life now!! I used to drink can after can of diet coke through the day as a smoker and honestly only drank water when I was hungover lol but now, I carry a bottle of water with me everywhere! I love it! It's all I drink on a day.
I feel vaping has 100% changed my life for the better...
I cringe when I think of 20 cigarettes worth of tar in my lungs and litres of acidy diet coke swilling around my insides a day lol

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
This is very interesting to me. Ever since I switched from smoking to vaping I have had issues with having really bad UTI symptoms. I am prone to UTI's. I have had painful and frequent urination and I just couldn't figure out why. I do drink two cups of half-caff coffee a day and I also drink alcohol. I didn't increase my water when I switched to vaping. Some days I am really bad about getting enough water, anyway.
This explains so much.

I'm going to really up the water intake and be vigilant about it. I'm going to decrease the booze and see if this helps.
I'm glad that you posted this. I never would have thought about this. Thanks.

You will be amazed at how many "conditions" and their symptoms just drop off once you get enough water. I had some really bad kidney stones about 6 years ago. It wasn't until a year and a half ago, when I REALLY started pouring the H2O into my system that the "achey kidneys" stopped being a problem.

Try putting a liter beside your bed and drinking half of it before you go to sleep (I know, you'll need to get up and pee, but that will subside in a week or so) and then when you wake up drink the other half. This alone, can make a huge difference, because our bodies need that fluid in our sleep to heal.

Carry a liter around with you and sip it throughout the day. Refill as necessary. You'll be amazed how easy it is. And, how much you begin liking water. I used to hate drinking water. I still prefer it chilled - which I hear is not as good for you as luke warm. But, heck, I'm drinking it! : )

Another factor in the dehydration issue is the ph of the water you are drinking. The body does not make efficient use of water that has a ph of 3-5. It really needs water in the 8-9.5 range. My family has been drinking Kangan water that we get free from my wife's chiropractor and you can really tell the difference. I'm not recommending purchasing a Kangan machine ($4,000) but if you can find a place to pick some up and try it, I think you will immediately see the difference. I'm a little short on funds but I am looking at a machine made by Jupiter that runs around $1,500 but that it still a ways in the future. If you can find someone with a machine, give it a try. YMMV

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Another factor in the dehydration issue is the ph of the water you are drinking. The body does not make efficient use of water that has a ph of 3-5. It really needs water in the 8-9.5 range. My family has been drinking Kangan water that we get free from my wife's chiropractor and you can really tell the difference. I'm not recommending purchasing a Kangan machine ($4,000) but if you can find a place to pick some up and try it, I think you will immediately see the difference. I'm a little short on funds but I am looking at a machine made by Jupiter that runs around $1,500 but that it still a ways in the future. If you can find someone with a machine, give it a try. YMMV

Funny, my Chiropractor has that same system. lol

Yep, you're right about the ph....needs to be my next push into proper hydration....thanks!

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Not enough water can also cause having problems eliminating waste. Best to drink lots of water. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

Yep, I had a buddy that I told this same thing to. He had some pretty bad problems with constipation and all that causes. He finally started drinking enough water and is a happy man today!

Oaken007

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
This is very interesting to me. Ever since I switched from smoking to vaping I have had issues with having really bad UTI symptoms. I am prone to UTI's. I have had painful and frequent urination and I just couldn't figure out why. I do drink two cups of half-caff coffee a day and I also drink alcohol.

Just like Poppie, I also am prone to UTI's. I started vaping over the weekend. Haven't had any cigarettes, haven't even thought of a cigarette, but I have had terrible kidney pain. I actually had to go see my doctor today and I stumbled upon this thread just now after searching "kidney stones." I started vaping Friday night, and the kidney pain started Sunday night - I barely had any water over the weekend as I am a lot like Poppie and elwcom. I drink very minimal water unless I'm hungover, I love beer so I have about 2 beers a week, maybe, aside from the binger nights every other weekend. I love soda and I rarely drink any juice. So the doctor said I might have kidney stones. I'm about 20oz of H20 in right now. I'll have to continue with the water because the vaping is saving my life, despite the kidney infection. BLEGH.

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Just like Poppie, I also am prone to UTI's. I started vaping over the weekend. Haven't had any cigarettes, haven't even thought of a cigarette, but I have had terrible kidney pain. I actually had to go see my doctor today and I stumbled upon this thread just now after searching "kidney stones." I started vaping Friday night, and the kidney pain started Sunday night - I barely had any water over the weekend as I am a lot like Poppie and elwcom. I drink very minimal water unless I'm hungover, I love beer so I have about 2 beers a week, maybe, aside from the binger nights every other weekend. I love soda and I rarely drink any juice. So the doctor said I might have kidney stones. I'm about 20oz of H20 in right now. I'll have to continue with the water because the vaping is saving my life, despite the kidney infection. BLEGH.

Oaken, Try going the 20oz of water for a couple of days then up it to 30oz, then more if you can. The best thing for kidney stones is H20! No matter what you're going to have to pass the stone, and water helps that happen. Then, try and drink at least 30oz to 60oz every day for the rest of your life. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread