Vaping and driving - passthrough and generic mobile charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toth

Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Norway
So, I'm on the road alot in my work.
I usually bring my trusty SMOK ego PT. However, 900mah doesn't last the long drives, so I tend to plug it into the mobile charger I've got in the car, which has 12V input, and 5V 500ma output. I do feel the vapor changes when I plug it in, feel it increases a lot. Am I right, or is it just my imagination?
Is the battery limiting the output to 3.7, or is the 5V from the charger literally passed through directly to the atty? And if so, is this bad for the battery, or is it made for that type of use? I don't know the Voltage of my computers USB's, so I'm not sure wether it's the same..

bubbajoe72

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2010
Big D, Texas
It's my understanding most battery passthroughs are not true passthroughs and only use the battery to fire the atty/carto. When plugged in, it will charge the battery in-between vapes and shut off the charging when firing the atty/carto. I'm not aware of any that function as a true passthrough and put out 5V when plugged in and 3.7 V when battery only.

What you may be experiencing is that since the battery is getting a fresh charge, it is able to pump out a higher voltage closer to 3.7V than when the battery is almost dead and pumping out less voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread