The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Vaping and Photoelectric alarms

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by ddirtyvapes, Jun 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ddirtyvapes

ddirtyvapes Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2011
    Portland, ME
    TLDR at bottom

We rent. We have new hardwired photoelectric alarms-- including one directly in our bedroom-- that are tripped by the vapor, even very small amounts. They go off constantly. We have

-blown out the windows, always blow out the windows, that's all we do in here now to keep it from going off. all windows are wide open, but this would be an issue in winter in Maine

-used a high velocity fan pointed in every which direction.

-tried a shower cap, but it's a photoelectric so that didn't work

-tried wall mounting a dinky small fan near the detector to push the vapor away with a more concentrated air stream, while also still running the high velocity fan.

-leave the door open constantly during waking hours, which isn't great for a couple living with a roommate

-....gone outside.

But, we'd have to go out every single time we vaped to feel like this wouldn't happen with unacceptable regularity. Plus it's our bedroom. You know how it is. Already there's been twenty times we've picked up our mod without thinking about it, and one puff sets the alarm to shrieking. We can and do split up the time... if it's nice out, we go out some. This isn't really great when we want to wind down for bed or when it's freezing or pouring.

Plus, I mean, come on. It's our bedroom, rented or not. We pay to have this space. We can barely vape in there. Who here can honestly say that would be totally fine and dandy with them?

I've been resistant talking to my landlord because I'm not going to bring up the vaping and I'm not looking forward to that half-truth but I do think it's a combination of factors anyway. Most times it's the vapor, but I swear look at it cross-eyed and it goes off. I am looking for creative solutions or a confirmation that it is time to at least talk to him-- though I realize we may be SOL with codes-- and see what can be done.

TLDR: We have new hardwired photoelectric smoke alarms that are crazy sensitive to vapor and other things, have tried all common-sense solutions to fix it, and do not accept simply having to go outside every time we want to vape unless we literally have no choice. Have not wanted to talk to landlord because I'm not looking forward to sidestepping around our vaping, but maybe the detectors are simply too sensitive?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Other than moving to another apartment, I don't see a reasonable solution to your problem if you don't want to vape outdoors.

Your landlord has to comply with strict fire codes, so he's not going to make an exception for your personal case. Many hotels also have photoelectric fire alarms and prohibit smoking or vaping inside the rooms.

3. ddirtyvapes

ddirtyvapes Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2011
    Portland, ME
    Well then your answer is that I should talk to him, whether or not that's really your answer. I realize he has to comply with fire codes, but that doesn't mean the smoke detectors have to be this specific brand. He also has to provide a livable environment, which this is bordering on not, and not solely because of our vaping. Our roommate reported more than half a dozen false alarms while we were out of town for two days, and she doesn't vape nor do we have an alarm in the kitchen any longer. What caused it, couldn't say. Humidity? Dog fur? So it's not just the vaping, though it clearly exacerbates the problem.

Nothing will change if we don't collectively bring up that this is a serious issue, and while an avoidable activity is making it worse, it is not the only reason if it's happening when we aren't here.

Vaping is this forum's subject and vaping is what I'm asking about, but that doesn't mean it is the only problem. Just to be clear.

4. RageKage

RageKage Senior Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Haddonfield, NJ
    Why would you side-step the conversation about vaping? Is there a clause in your lease that prohibits it explicitly? I guess I just don't understand why you would try to hide your vaping as if you're doing something wrong when approaching the conversation. If I were in the landlord's position and I felt you came to me with a problem but were not being forthcoming about the whole situation, I would be less inclined to work with you on a solution.

5. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru ECF Veteran Verified Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    How old are the detectors? They could simply be old units, malfunctioning due to age, and may be long overdue for replacement.

Some hard wired units that are giving off chronic false alarms have a reset switch.

If it's not just the vape doing it this needs to be addressed. I lived in one apartment with the cheapest slum lord on the planet. The detector - waaay down the hall from the kitchen - was over 12 years old and would sound if you boiled water or made toast - the not burning kind of toast even.

A badly calibrated detector or one so old it needs replacement only encourages one thing: a tenant disabling the annoying thing. Since the landlord wouldn't replace it that did lead to it being perpetually disabled. :2c:

• Like Like x 2
  6. leftyandsparky

leftyandsparky Vaping Master ECF Veteran Verified Member

Nov 22, 2015
    Somewhere in the South
    Since its going off when you were gone,and your roommate doesn't vape I would suggest having your land lord replace it. It might be new but new can be deffect.( happened to use) If you can remove it, on the back the company's info and lot number will be listed you can call the company and find out about the lot batch. Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
  7. leftyandsparky

Nov 22, 2015
    Somewhere in the South
    We bought ours from Lowe's and the company replaced at no cost.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Endor

Endor Super Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Southern California
    I'd simply tell the landlord that the smoke detectors go off all the time and ask that he replace them. I mean, if you're vaping outside and they go off, then something is just not right.

I have photoelectric detectors too and have never set them off.

I did, however, set one off in a hotel once (which was NOT fun), BUT, it was mounted maybe 3 feet directly above the headboard of the bed, and it just so happened that a particularly large vape cloud went right across it while I was vaping in my bed on a Sunday morning.

• Like Like x 3
  9. leftyandsparky

Nov 22, 2015
    Somewhere in the South
    Hair spray would set mine off, then it would just go off at all hours of the night, until we disconnected it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. puffon

puffon Vaping Master ECF Veteran Verified Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Does sound like it's malfunctioning, if it goes off when you are not there.

11. nofferman

nofferman Full Member Verified Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Milwaukee WI USA
    Could you ask the landlord about switching it out with an ionization type smoke alarm? If the photoelectric one is prone to false alarms (no matter what the cause), the landlord might be willing to swap it just so they don't have to deal with the headache either. I've never tripped my ionization alarms with vapor.

Hardwired Kidde Ionization smoke alarms go for $28 at Home Depot or on Amazon. An ionization alarm will say something on the package about containing Americium 241 or have a radiation symbol somewhere. (The radiation inside is minuscule and entirely blocked by the plastic casing). If you get the same brand as the current photoelectric detector, chances are good the wiring harness is the same, and it'll take 2 minutes or less to swap.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Kprthevapr

Kprthevapr Vaping Master ECF Veteran Verified Member

Jan 1, 2015
    On the River, GA
    Tell the landlord that you crop-dusted your bedroom with natural gas and it made the alarm go off....maybe it's a lil too sensitive :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru ECF Veteran Verified Member

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    does the alarm have an extra set of wires that sends a signal to a main monitoring system, or is it just a stand alone system for your own personal protection??... if its just for your own "space" and not involved in a system that monitors several apartments... unhook the power wires to it... it wont be noticed that it is non working... and get a cheap battery powered unit for your own protection... but I would consider leaving the other units active if they are part of a system just in case it is used to alert the whole complex of a fire... ( if a fire starts in the bedroom, the smoke will activate the other alarms in the rest of the house and warn the rest of the complex)... keep your vaping confined to the bedroom as the detector will be not able to "warn" the rest of the complex... untill things get really smokey..
    if the units are that sensitive... I guess no one cooks ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. FlamingoTutu

FlamingoTutu Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 5, 2013
    In the Mountains
    If all else fails, get a shower cap for the bedroom alarm.

We have an overly sensitive alarm that went off even if we boiled water. Covered it and got an ionization alarm to replace it. Won't even go into the time my husband took a steamy shower in a motel room with a photoelectric alarm mounted right outside the bathroom, except to say I was in hysterics (laughing) while at least 10 emergency personnel were in the room trying to shut it off while my husband was parading around the room in a towel, not to mention the dog and bird who were highly entertained by the whole episode.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Endor

Endor Super Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Southern California
    In my case, the hotel was evacuated and the fire department called, with fire trucks rolling up and an entire hotel out in the parking lot in their pajamas.

The fireman traipsed through my room in full gear (with axes, even!), finally determined it must have been a false alarm and let everybody back in the hotel.

I was offered another room due to the malfunctioning smoke detector, but declined.

Needless to say, I was paranoid about that smoke detector the rest of the trip, and vaped out on the balcony from then on out.

• Like Like x 3
  16. FlamingoTutu

FlamingoTutu Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 5, 2013
    In the Mountains
    I would have been vaping on the balcony too. :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tom Waznis

Tom Waznis Full Member

May 25, 2016
    san diego, ca
    I would talk to him. Explain vaping some. Explain most hotel detectors don't do this. (in my experience). You could offer to buy other ones to try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.