vaping and smoke alarms. are there any solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goober

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2011
PA
i have my window open, but the smoke alarm still went off. I chain vape like a [edited]. I take a hit every 10 seconds for like 2 hours straight..

It took a while, but after 2 hours, my smoke alarm decided to go off.

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem other than taking out the smoke detector?

Last edited by a moderator:

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
image.jpg

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
i have my window open, but the smoke alarm still went off. I chain vape like a ..... I take a hit every 10 seconds for like 2 hours straight..

It took a while, but after 2 hours, my smoke alarm decided to go off.

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem other than taking out the smoke detector?

there's different types of smoke alarm detectors; some get triggered (optically) by vape; some types don't work that way and are not triggered by vape; so if its your house, check up on different types of smoke detectors.

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
there's different types of smoke alarm detectors; some get triggered (optically) by vape; some types don't work that way and are not triggered by vape; so if its your house, check up on different types of smoke detectors.
Optical are photoelectric and there are ionization for your basic types. The only problem with the shower cap is if you don't take it off and there is a fire you are jacked, and potentially liable as insurance would say they were tampered with. Just saying.

Reactions: Toronnah

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Replace your smoke detector with a less sensitive ones. Or do what I did and replace it with a Heat Detector alarm.

I had a smoke detector in my kitchen that was entirely too sensitive. It would go off just from cooking (NOT burning) and in my house all of the smoke detectors are linked so if one goes off then all 9 of them go off. My ultimate fix was to go online and find a Heat Detector alarm. Cost me about $30 to get one that could link in with my other alarms. The heat detector is exactly what it says, it detects changes in heat rather than particulates in the air, so it's unaffected by vapor and fumes from cooking oils.

It won't detect a real fire as quickly, but it will detect a real fire, unlike an alarm that's been covered with a shower cap or had the batteries removed.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Mundy recently posted some pertinent info...

T is correct. The photocell fire alarm has an infrared beam that if it dims to a preset level will set it off. The 2nd style uses a small amount of radioactive Americium (not to worry it's Alpha particles which even a piece of paper stop) in a chamber with an electric charge and monitors this electric field. The radiation ionizes the air. When smoke particles get in the chamber they decrease ionization and therefore the electric field is reduced. Another chamber exposed to the radiation but is filtered from smoke is used as a comparison and when the 2 electric fields differ to a preset degree it goes off. The 3rd is simply a combination of the first 2 and looks at both to determine if there is really smoke. The ionization only style are particularly sensitive to water vapor and high humidity which will reduce the ionization in the chamber. Why do I know all this? As an electrician I have had problems over the years with falsing detectors and have had to research how they work to try to understand what causes falsing. Dust collecting inside is the numero uno cause and a good blowing out with compressed air should be done once a month. Back in late 2001 I had probably 30 calls from clients one morning that their alarms went off around 1:30 AM. Knowing that it could not be a coincidence and they were not all on the same utility company had me a little flustered until I learned a rather large coronal mass ejection had reached the earth at 1:25 AM.

Tapatyped

Reactions: xpen and B2L

Thespis

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2014
Texas
Vapor and mist sets it off quicker than smoke. It's a problem.
In 35 years of using hazers and fog machines, this has not been my experience. Had a theatre filled with haze with no problems, as usual. Lamp blew through the lens of a fixture causing a burned gel and the alarm sounded. It's really more about the type of detector.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

newvaper92

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Jackson, Michigan
I've fogged up the basement pretty heavily, while sitting directly under a working smoke detector, and another one just around the corner, but have seen the same one go off while cooking (not burning or smoking) in the kitchen 15-20 feet away. Never set off any type of smoke alarm with vapor. Guess it all depends on type of vapor/smoke, airflow and circulation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread