Vaping and the Public Is is Accepted Openly anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to find out if in certain states or certain areas if vaping is welcome like in stores or establishments that we the public frequent?

Will i get hauled off to the side by the sash wearing Walmart police if i vape up in Electronics, pulled into the layaway section and roughed up for my folly?

Is Ronald Mcdonald guna come charging at me eyes blazin, big red lips frowning as he pops one of his over sized shoes off to belt me over the head because sombody couldnt enjoy there bigmac due to the fact that hideous man in the corner was "smoking" some contraption.

How close or how far away are we to seeing signs on stores and restaraunts that read "Vapors Welcome"

Will it ever happen? just curious on peoples thoughts and maybe experiances. ~ Capn~;)

Little Girl

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
New York
mostlylinux.wordpress.com
Is Ronald Mcdonald guna come charging at me eyes blazin, big red lips frowning as he pops one of his over sized shoes off to belt me over the head because sombody couldnt enjoy there bigmac due to the fact that hideous man in the corner was "smoking" some contraption.

:laugh: This was too funny! :D If I could stop laughing :thumbs: long enough to type something coherent, I'd try to answer properly. :lol:

How close or how far away are we to seeing signs on stores and restaraunts that read "Vapors Welcome"

Will it ever happen?

No idea when that will happen, but I'd recommend calling places you plan on going to and asking what their policy is. Also, even if a store like WalMart, for instance, said they didn't mind, you might want to consider not doing it to prevent any possible misunderstandings from antismokers who will be only too happy to spread their hysteria to as many others as they possibly can. :(

Shaka

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Honolulu, HI
...Also, even if a store like WalMart, for instance, said they didn't mind, you might want to consider not doing it to prevent any possible misunderstandings from antismokers who will be only too happy to spread their hysteria to as many others as they possibly can. :(

100% agree w/ you Little Girl.

Our behavior right now should be low keyed and discrete in general public areas. Been in the political arena for 12 yrs before, and now is the very worst time to be labeled "politically incorrect"...would be devastating for vapers everywhere.

thanx again for the input Shaka, always good to hear ur feedback =)

I just hope like hell 1person, cuz thats all its going to take, to march straight through Wally World Vapin like a champ juuust askin for trouble. just wanting sombody to pull them aside and tell them " im sorry sir but u cant smoke in here"

thats when Mr. Azz is gunna be in his glory and start ranting and raving how its not smoke, its vapor and hes got every damn right!! blahblahblah!! making a hellva scene. then alls it would take is one person in the store or VaporAzz himself to head straight to the papers and tell of his unjustice!!

And Viola!! just like u guys said mayhem. the press would have a field day with somthing like that, considering you cant take a dump in peace without the press blowing all outta proportion saying it was shaped like an alien.

Good call guys and thank you for your words, ima just keep it on the lowlow and vape in peace. ~Capn~

tokenstang

Jun 13, 2010
Kailua-Kona
being from hawaii Big Island to be exact not a lot of people vape..i seen maybe 1 or 2 people vape in the bar..im hoping that we get to see a sign that say no smoking but vaping welcome..right now im trying to convince my friends to quit analogs and get their own PV but they say its to expensive..but still trying i hope that we get a PV store here..maybe i should contact totally wicked n have them come down lol

Little Girl

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
New York
mostlylinux.wordpress.com
100% agree w/ you Little Girl.

Our behavior right now should be low keyed and discrete in general public areas. Been in the political arena for 12 yrs before, and now is the very worst time to be labeled "politically incorrect"...would be devastating for vapers everywhere.

Yeah, my biggest concern is that they're easier to stir up than they are to calm down, so it's better to not get them going in the first place. :D

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
I found in life that as long as you don't impose in anyone's space you will go far. We all know the NONO image smoking has,and we know the "lack-o-knowledge" vaping has.

With that being said.. one can easily get away with more when vaping if we follow my bolded statement. Just because we feel we have a "freedom to vape" ,since their technically isn't a ruling not to, we still have to take into consideration that vape in the face is still unpleasant to the "never-smokers" . My wife for instance doesn't like the smell of my vape, but she doesn't mind if I vape from a reasonable distance and when finished giving her a BIG HUG and KISS ,which the process was much harder when I smoked :D....

I don't vape up and close to my kids either, but will vape in the same room. SOOO I take the same thought (minus the hug and kisses) I do with my family and carry it over to the public..

At a restaurant I try to hold of vaping at the table when I can... and if I do I take small drags spaced out as not to draw too much attention.

At shopping malls.. I vape away from immediate crowds, but vape more leisurely...

I am observant of my surroundings and if I notice eyes peering I back off a bit... If the vape itself (smell, clouds, etc) isn't bothering anyone then people tend not to approach and just end up looking puzzled. A big plus is vaping isn't obnoxious to others like smoking
is since ecigs don't linger like cigarettes do... also production only happens when you take a hit from your ecig, unlike a cigarette waiting to be dragged.

Conclusion: as long as we are responsible and considerate we all can all co-exist with the "never-haves" with no worries......

I am thankful for having ecigs in my life and I will never take that for granted..

***stepping of soap box****

LGD

ozrick

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've posted on this type of topic several times but I have some pretty strong feelings about it. Easiest answer is: Would you ever be able to smoke in the place you are vaping.. If the answer is no, then don't or do it discreetly. Supermarkets, malls, hospitals, etc are a no smoke area to begin with. Vaping just to vape in these areas is going to cause problems and just because you can explain away an ecig does not give you the right to use it there. Don't provoke people because you can and you KNOW you will when you vape openly in places you can't smoke in. If we're some place where I know there will be issues, I do it on the sly. Be respectful people, please. Don't go around blowing vapor in a grocery store, mall or other places- that's just asking for trouble. I think sometimes people do it on purpose just for the attention and to be able to tell people: NEENER NEENER, this isn't a cigarette... Bad idea IMO.

DemonCowboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Florida, US
Yeah, my biggest concern is that they're easier to stir up than they are to calm down, so it's better to not get them going in the first place. :D

That's exactly the problem though, they act like that because they can get away w/ it because they've never been put in their place. Granted the answer is not to rant and rave back and act just as hysterical, I've found that tactfully* helping them realize just how mentally deficient they're acting usually works the best.

I do agree though, that sinking to their level ranting and raving will only cause problems, which is what they're trying to do in the first place, acting the same way they are will only play into their hand. On the other hand though, there are more ways to rebut than being loud and indignant.

*using the best definition I've ever heard for tact "telling someone to go to hell in such a way that they think they'll like it"

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Public reaction will vary from "That's great" to "It's still nicotine and I don't want my kids around it", especially if there's visible vapor emanating from your PV. I like to load up a cart of PG for those times. VG creates too much vapor and people think it's a cigarette, even if it doesn't look like it.

Understanding is key and it's going to take the mass market news media to help people understand the difference. Until then, we will be regarded as nicotine junkies with a different delivery system.

I think we can penetrate the public's opinion by explaining the PV concept to all our friends and co-workers. 1 tells 2, 2 tell 4, and so on. It only takes 16 repetitions to reach 32,768 people in theory, provided each one tells someone who never heard of the E-cig.

Last edited:

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
I disagree...
As smokers we've been made to feel like lepers, that we have something to be ashamed of...something dirty..

As vapers we're doing nothing wrong...yeah there's no law that says we can vape where we want..no law that says we can't either...it isn't smoking and shouldn't be treated as such...
Hiding it in the dark and acting like we have something to be embarrased about is what will bring the bans and regulations, because the less people that vape and are aware of it the less knowlege there is about it and the fewer people there are to stand up for us against groups like the FDA, ALA, and their ilk.

it should be out and seen and the public should be educated..

now I'm not saying to be an ... about it either screaming and rants will get you no where..but calm, rational, educated discourse yes...

I've as much right to vape as that dour old lady has to douse herself in so much perfume that I can smell her 2 aisles away in the store...

BugsyM

Jun 6, 2010
Wisconsin
Why not just stealth vape? You get your nicotine, you enjoy your pv, and no one knows the wiser?
The only reason I could see someone walking around blowing out huge clouds of vapor in places where smoking is not acceptable is because they're trying to be annoying.
I walk around everywhere with my eGo in my hand taking huge vapes and just holding it in so nothing comes out, including my large, strict, corporate office.

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Funny thing, here in México there is not much people vaping, so almost nobody know about the existence of e-cigs.

At first i was affraid to vape on public places, like restaurants, bars and clubs. Now i do not care, what usually happens is that they look at me with a ? sign over them head, like WTF is going on? Eventually they ask, sometimes they say to me that is not allowed to smoke in, i have to explain about the e-cigs. (use to smoke white ecigs with brown cartridge).

One day i was vaping on a bar a black one with blue led, the security guys where looking at me for a long time, after a while one of them come to me to ask about that mysterious device, have to let them to try my e-cig.

johnnybgdg

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
S. Cal
I've been told not to vape playing poker so i stealth vape with my blu, cup in hand and exhale in a napkin, can sit for 6-8 hours and no one has noticed yet.

I have vaped openly at the mall, wal-mart, super markets, and even when pumping gas. Watching how people react is cool, some point you out to thier friend, some look at you like what are you doing, but only twice has someone asked what it was. too funny.
I am still amazed how un-familiar this thing really is, i have yet to ever see anyone else with a vapor stick. they need to do some TV addy's (get the pun, atty's lol)

Keep Vaping

John

jayquik03

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2010
syracuse
I ha\/e to say I won't e\/en risk going into stores and \/aping, I just don't want to deal w/ the idiots in the world. I'll gladly step right outside and continue to \/ape. We'll see how I feel* about that in the winter, lol.

Note: My \/ key broke today :( what perfect timing when I start \/aping!

Last edited:

RayRayHoo

May 28, 2010
Virginia
I vaped at a college baseball game recently. As soon as I walked into the stadium an usher spotted me vaping and told me they had a smoking section and told me where it was at. I then showed it to him and told him that it was not a cigarette. He walked over and looked at it said "well I be damned" and then walked off. When I got to the stands I informed the people sitting around me what it was and told them that if they saw me vape this that the vapor was not smoke and thus not harmful to them. I had a few people want to see it in action and others asked me where to get one, but no one gave me any problems when I did use it. The only problem I had was batteries because the 2 friends I went with didn't vape and only had analogs with them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread