Vaping around pet dog seems to affect its eyes, ditto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
I noticed that when I vaped around a family dog its eyes reddened and it was licking its paws and rubbing its eyes on the paws. Have you seen this with dogs or other pets?

Don't have a dog but when I vape around my cousins dog (it's a mixed breed) he seems fine. I would see a vet and ask him/her their opinion. It might have an allergy to pg or vg not sure.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I noticed that when I vaped around a family dog its eyes reddened and it was licking its paws and rubbing its eyes on the paws. Have you seen this with dogs or other pets?
I haven't personally, but its certainly possible that vapor and its components could be considered an irritant to humans or pets.

Some people are sensitive or even allergic to Pg (propylene glycol). My brother has environmental allergies, a super keen sense of smell, and claims that my vaping adversely affects his allergies. I have to respect that being that we share a home. I either vape outside or inside my bedroom with the door always closed.

My parrot also is affected. I took to the porch, just like with my old cigs.
I know from having a parrot back in the day, that they have an extremely sensitive respiratory system. My avian vet warned about not exposing my parrot to smoke or commercial aerosol products, and to especially not expose it to a burning Teflon-coated pan which would release a toxic gas which could kill it instantly.

Last edited:

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
I vape around my animals (dog and cat) and haven’t noticed any adverse reactions in the last year and a half. I don’t make giant clouds or cloud up the room though. You may have to alter your behavior and not vape around your dog if it is bothering them.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I have 2 cats and neither seem bothered by it. Again as others have said, I don't blow huge clouds and I always try to blow away from them, and never directly at them. It could also potentially be something in the flavor(s) you use that is causing the irritant.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Not sure about pets but some people are allergic. I could be vaping in my car in a parking lot and someone walks by looks at me and starts coughing.

I feel so bad for the ones that get those dang arm spasms !

Blue and Gold Macaw, Goffin's Cockatoo, 2 cats...my vaping never caused them health issues.

Anything with cinnamon in it be it the bakery type or the hot type will irritate my eyes.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I vaped around my cat. He was allergic so I put him down. I miss that cat. I miss grandma too. Same situation but grandma put up more of a fight at the end.
kWZfu5d.gif

i avoid vaping around my cats and dog, but when it happens they don't seem too bothered.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My son's dog LOVES it, she'll creep closer as I make flavors, LOL. Of course, she was a former smoker, so she enjoyed my smoking even more. Constant struggle to keep her from eating cigarette butts.

That dog and I have a lot in common: we both have addictive tendencies, love my kid, and are pleasant natured... Until we turn feral at the drop of a hat. LOL.

I think the kid's dog may be smarter than me, though. Just sayin'.

But yes, I've heard some beasts can be affected. I don't own a cat as I am allergic to THEM. I don't love cats so much any more, after having owned a succession of strange/interesting/weird other animals.

If my son still had his ferret, I would perform vaping experiments in the hopes I could get it to LEAVE, permanently, LOL.

Anna

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I've vaped around three dogs and a cat. I never blew vapor directly at them. None have had any issues with it that I ever noticed. Most of the time they checked out the clouds, decided they were OK (maybe decided nothing was on fire :)), and pretty much ignored them after that.

It wouldn't surprise me too much to find out that an animal is allergic to something in my juice, or that a person is. I would not expose them to my vape after that.

Allergic reaction to second hand vapor has to be really, really, rare, or we would all know about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread