Vaping cough in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
(Second thread in an hour of time, I'm on fire!)

Hi everyone,

In the path to clarifying all the topics that bug me, I've found a lot of answers on this forum, but there are some others which are yet to find a really satisfactory answer.

The topic I will raise in this thread is the morning cough I experience.
I do cough in the morning, and can't take a puff any larger than 1 second for like the first hour I've awoken, even when lowering the watts.
My throat simply can't take vape in the morning, but as a smoker, lighting a stinky (rolled, furthermore), was the very first thing I did in the morning (even though my gf hated it and insisted on eating something first, so that smoke wasn't the first thing my body received after the night).
My girlfriend, who started vaping at the same time I did, does not experience that cough. She take can decent cow-boy puffs is the morning without efforts (she keeps smoking though, got from 15 a day to around 5, not sure if it's related). However, I did find posts on this forum about people coughing the same way I do. I've read that it may be the throat or lungs healing themselves, and they could be more sensitive to vape after a whole night of enjoying clean air.

I've read that vaping 0mg helped to "warm up" the throat for vape, and did not cause any cough.
Still, it's gonna be hard to manage 0mg & 6mg in the same clearo, so if I want to vape 0mg, I'd have to get another clearo (and I'd probably go for 100VG 0mg juice, 'cause I'm not gonna lie, I like clouds, and if I can practice some tricks on 0mg and spare my throat & nic level in blood, all the better) (I vape 20/80 atm) (actually, since 15% of my juice is flavor, and flavor is really 100% PG, it's 33/67, which bugs me, cause I really wanted the increase the VG in my juice, but it's a whole other subject and I'm going off-topic).

So, I'm really just wondering if it's worth the investment : I only vape one flavor, and don't know how long I'll stick my with current mod, so I don't really want to invest a lot on clearos and stuff, I only have the stock one and am happy with it, the only reason I'd need another is that I use drop-in coils, not RDAs or reconstructible stuff, so changing the juice, then waiting for the wick to be nicotine-free, and this every morning, I'd really be a waste of juice & quite a hassle.
Plus, I'm really tight on budget these days (months), so even a 30€ expense is something to consider (there's a shop close to my home, where I can get the same clearo I have for 20€, 250ml base for 8€, and I'd add an empty bottle). I'd also have to maintain another clearo with fresh coils (for both my gf and I, the vapor fades and starts tasting ashy after roughly 5 days of vaping), so that's another cost to consider.

I know you guys can't just say "go for it", or "no it's not worth it".
I guess, my real question is this : does vaping 0mg actually help the throat accepting nicotine vape in the morning? (Meaning, if I hardcore vape on 0mg for like 10 minutes, will I be able to take a normal puff on 6mg, or will my throat still reject the nicotine income this early?)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I smoked for 32 years and my morning hacking, coughing myself to death experience went completely away with vaping, so i cant really speak on your cough..

However, a couple things here. First: Are you getting enough exercise? Doing some cardiovascular exercise helps your lungs to heal better and faster after starting vaping.. just going for walks is good - you don't have to jog or anything..

Second: every tank, otherwise known as an atty (what your calling a clearo) that we use in vaping has a 510 connection. Tanks are not proprietary except in very rare rare occasions.. as a general rule, all tanks fit all mods if the size of the tank is correct for the size of the mod. (You don't want overhang, for instance)

So if you happen to like a particular tank, you can just keep using it even if you get another mod.

Most of us here have several tanks, for various reasons.. I practically collect RTA's, lol, for instance.. :)

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
Thanks for your feedback, and nice hearing you got rid of your cough!

No I don't really exercise, I only really walk to go to work and when I'm going out with my girlfriend. I'm planning on getting back to the gym in the near future!

I know that a tank can virtually work on any given mod (except a few exceptions like the iStick Pico, where the battery's top cap can physically block a tank that'd be too large), but on my current mod, recommended size is up to 22ml, and once I get another mod, I intend to use 25 or 30mm wide tanks (and I actually will probably switch to RTA on RDTA once I feel ready to build my coils), so I don't really expect to re-use my current tank on my future kits

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
I've vaped 0 nic juice and there wasn't a huge difference for me except getting frustrated that I wasn't getting nicotine. I'm still like that in morning for the first 20 minutes and I've been vaping over a year but I DL on an rda mostly. I might add that I still smoked even if just a little up until a couple of days ago with the exception of a period where I was just vaping and during that time it still took the 20 minutes to get things going.

So, no. I don't think it's worth it in my opinion.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Thanks for your feedback, and nice hearing you got rid of your cough!

No I don't really exercise, I only really walk to go to work and when I'm going out with my girlfriend. I'm planning on getting back to the gym in the near future!

I know that a tank can virtually work on any given mod (except a few exceptions like the iStick Pico, where the battery's top cap can physically block a tank that'd be too large), but on my current mod, recommended size is up to 22ml, and once I get another mod, I intend to use 25 or 30mm wide tanks (and I actually will probably switch to RTA on RDTA once I feel ready to build my coils), so I don't really expect to re-use my current tank on my future kits

Just a heads up but it's always worth keeping an atty you like.. especially a smaller one.

The small stealth vapes are nice to have.. and you need the 22mm size for those..

I hope someone can help you on your cough....

Try a higher PG - it might help. VG is heavier in your lungs.. a higher PG content (50/50 at least) might be a help to your coughing overall.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi,
In the morning, turn the power down. Increase power as needed throughout the day.

I am a MTL vaper. It is how I smoked.
If I had to use a big air device like the Melo with "kit" coils, I would still be a smoker.
If I started with 3mg or 6mg liquid, I would still be a smoker.

Try some other coils in the Melo. It has a lot of options available for it.
We all need to find our own path.

Cheers
I

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I actually vaped a 50/50 juice (+ flavor, so more likely 60% PG), and I had the same issue. I went for higher VG when I increased the nicotine not to have too much of a throat hit, and I kinda like clouds :D

Calculations account for the PG content in flavorings..

Is the coughing caused by a heaviness in your chest or a tickle or sensation at the back of your throat?

Reactions: stols001

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
Calculations account for the PG content in flavorings..

I make the juice myself, with a base to which I add the flavor. I always guessed the ratio only accounted for the base, since they can't know how much flavor I add, or whether the flavor is 100% PG (I guess for PG intolerant people there has to be VG flavor out there)

Is the coughing caused by a heaviness in your chest or a tickle or sensation at the back of your throat?

It's only in the throat.
The first puff I take is around 35W, and the smallest puff possible, I only produce minimal vape, and it does tickle the back of my throat. If I try a larger puff first thing, I'll cough for sure.
I have to increase really slowly the puff time, and then Wattage, to get to my normal setup. By the time I'm ready to go to work, I'm usually between 40 and 45W, taking 1 to 2 seconds puffs, and on my way to work, walking outside, I increase the watts and reach 50W as I get to the office.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
Hi,
In the morning, turn the power down. Increase power as needed throughout the day.

I am a MTL vaper. It is how I smoked.
If I had to use a big air device like the Melo with "kit" coils, I would still be a smoker.
If I started with 3mg or 6mg liquid, I would still be a smoker.

Try some other coils in the Melo. It has a lot of options available for it.
We all need to find our own path.

Cheers
I

That's essentially how I work around it, but it's still annoying that I can't take a real puff in the early morning :/

I actually am a DL vaper, and I managed to stop smoking entirely when I made the switch to vape. I started with this kit, with a mix of 3mg and 6mg, 'cause with 3mg I vaped really a lot to get my "dose", and 6 was making me cough.
By now, I vape 5mg (base of 6mg, but 15% of my mix is flavor, so it falls around 5), and it works well with my throat, slightly irritating, but less and less as days go.

I tried EC heads (SS316 0.18 dual coil), but didn't work well for me. The EC2 stock ones are fine for now, and there are so many others I wouldn't know which one to try, so until I read about a specific coil that catches my attention, I guess I'll stick with this one!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I make the juice myself, with a base to which I add the flavor. I always guessed the ratio only accounted for the base, since they can't know how much flavor I add, or whether the flavor is 100% PG (I guess for PG intolerant people there has to be VG flavor out there)

It's only in the throat.
The first puff I take is around 35W, and the smallest puff possible, I only produce minimal vape, and it does tickle the back of my throat. If I try a larger puff first thing, I'll cough for sure.
I have to increase really slowly the puff time, and then Wattage, to get to my normal setup. By the time I'm ready to go to work, I'm usually between 40 and 45W, taking 1 to 2 seconds puffs, and on my way to work, walking outside, I increase the watts and reach 50W as I get to the office.

Aha!

Got it!

Now guess what? Your throat is being irritated first thing in the morning.

You can try different drip tips, lower power in the morning etc.

But after not vaping all night vaping is bothering your throat first thing in the morning..

Sometimes it really is the design of the atty and drip tip which causes that, sometimes it's the power level, sometimes it's a mixture of both.

My husband had problems his throat on the Nautilus mini tank, but when I switched him to a Kabuki tank the problems went away, he just needed a better design.

So sometimes switching up a tank will help, even with the same coil (as the mini and Kabuki took the same coil)

And sometimes if your tank already has a good design, you just need to change up to a coil that takes you to a lower power level..

Just play around wirh coils and power levels first, then consider changing tanks ONLY if none of that works..

(I don't know anything about your tank.. I've never used it)

If you use ejuice calculators then you add in your flavorings and whether they are pg, vg, or alcohol based so your target percentages can be properly calculated.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
That's why i always have 2 setups on hand, first one for the morning (single coil rta running at about 40 watts)
And one for the rest of the day which is my usual dual SS coils atm.
Even back when i did mtl, i've always had a cough if i didn't drink some coffee first which is why i still do otherwise i'd be dead chocking as my throat is too dry in the morning lol.

RedBullBabe

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Ireland.
Just been mentioned above, but it is very important to hydrate in the morning, and especially sporadically if you're vaping.

I've found high pg and high nic to be the culprit of harshness in the back of my throat, or being at the wrong wattage; even just a 5w change either way will make a lot of difference.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
That's why i always have 2 setups on hand, first one for the morning (single coil rta running at about 40 watts)
And one for the rest of the day which is my usual dual SS coils atm.
Even back when i did mtl, i've always had a cough if i didn't drink some coffee first which is why i still do otherwise i'd be dead chocking as my throat is too dry in the morning lol.

Just been mentioned above, but it is very important to hydrate in the morning, and especially sporadically if you're vaping.

I've found high pg and high nic to be the culprit of harshness in the back of my throat, or being at the wrong wattage; even just a 5w change either way will make a lot of difference.

I actually eat my breakfast before I try to vape, including drinking part of my morning coffee. And I do take a sip of coffee each time I take a puff, even the smallest one, it helps to calm my throat.

Aha!

Got it!

Now guess what? Your throat is being irritated first thing in the morning.

You can try different drip tips, lower power in the morning etc.

But after not vaping all night vaping is bothering your throat first thing in the morning..

Sometimes it really is the design of the atty and drip tip which causes that, sometimes it's the power level, sometimes it's a mixture of both.

My husband had problems his throat on the Nautilus mini tank, but when I switched him to a Kabuki tank the problems went away, he just needed a better design.

So sometimes switching up a tank will help, even with the same coil (as the mini and Kabuki took the same coil)

And sometimes if your tank already has a good design, you just need to change up to a coil that takes you to a lower power level..

Just play around wirh coils and power levels first, then consider changing tanks ONLY if none of that works..

(I don't know anything about your tank.. I've never used it)

If you use ejuice calculators then you add in your flavorings and whether they are pg, vg, or alcohol based so your target percentages can be properly calculated.

I don't use e-juice calculators, I didn't even know those existed :D I simply do the maths, I don't think there are lots of ways that my maths could be off though.

For exemple, if I want 15% of my mix to be flavor, and those 15% are 10ml, I'd make a total mix of 10/15*100=66,667ml (rounded to 65, since the pouring is still approximate). So, basically I need to add 55ml of base to the mix. So, if it's a 20/80 base, and the flavor is 100% PG, the actual VG ratio would be 80*55/65=~67, so approximately 30/70, right?

I didn't think the tank/coil design could impact the throat irritation though, I thought only the vape components & amount caused it.
Also, what kind of drip tip could reduce this kind of irritation ? Atm I have the stock 510, kinda short drip-tip :
melo4_01.jpg

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
For me...even tho I am a heavy coffee drinker - If I don't drink water in the morning I will cough a tickle type of cough when I vape...even after all these years.

Unfortunately I can't drink water before some time after waking up, or it just tastes gross... but good to know!

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
Too much flavour can be hard on yer laughing gear .

Is it because of the PG, or because of the flavor itself?
And basically, using less flavor in my mix could help me vape more in the morning?

Being quite new to vaping, I'm not even sure about the 15%, it tastes really sweet but unless I take huge puffs, I don't really get the strawberry/rasoberry flavor I'm supposed to have. I've blamed it on the coil not being hot enough with small puffs, thus not producing lots of flavor, but I'm thinking I may have put too much in the mix, making it taste too "chemical", is it a possibility?

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Unfortunately I can't drink water before some time after waking up, or it just tastes gross... but good to know!

Our water here isn't very good so I use bottled, but I still put a little lemon in it just to make it more palatable.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I coughed a lot in the beginning, and when I dual used. It took a while for my a.m. coughing and hacking to go away, but I was a really heavy smoker.

It's certainly possible to have a PG sensitivity I developed one, and once I switched to more VG and some DW to thin it, my coughing went away pretty fast, but I still coughed some, especially in the morning.

You have gotten lots of ideas so far, I hope some of them help. I would maybe try a higher VG mix, first, and lower power in the a.m. is also possibly a good idea.

Some people just cough a lot during detox/transitioning, others don't. So, your g/f experience is not everyone's experience.

I hope you continue trying to sort it out, vaping is worth the time it takes to make it work.. If I hadn't found ECF and also tried some different things (including a MTL rather than a DL setup) I don't think I'd be vaping today.

I wish you tons of luck in sorting it out.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread