Vaping & Dental Devices: What to Keep in Mind

Do You Think Dental Devices Make a Difference?

• Yes, I think they effect the taste of my e-juice.

• No, I can fully enjoy any juice flavor.

• I haven't got a clue...!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once upon a time, it was believed that different areas of the tongue were responsible for how we 'taste' different foods like salty, sweet, sour, etc. New science is starting to prove that is no longer true; the taste buds that cover our tongue, hard palate - the roof of your mouth - and other sensitive areas inside the mouth work in unison to help us determine what is good to eat and what is not. People who wear dental devices which cover the entire roof of the mouth sense taste differently than those who don't. Even when the devices are removed temporarily, the lack of a full taste experience is lost because the brain has trained itself to ignore the foreign plastic taste coming from that area of the mouth. Basically, half of your taste buds no longer function to full capacity.

Because vaping doesn't consume the mouth in the same way food does, sensitivity is much less. I believe that this is a big factor in determining a juice choice and flavor strength. Unfortunately, when we finally decide to give up analogs, many of us have reached an age when dental devices like dentures are more common. However, there are younger people who might be using different dental devices that also cover all, or a large part, of the hard palate and who might benefit from this consideration as well.

My husband and I generally have the same tastes in food but e-juice flavors are an entirely different animal. One of us wears full dentures, the other doesn't and we have yet to find a juice we can both fully enjoy together. Because taste is so subjective, there is no way to determine an exact formula; what tastes sweeter to some may not be sweet enough for others. What might be an enjoyable flavor to a person who doesn't wear dental appliance may taste completely different to someone who does.

As this industry is in it's infancy, I would really like to hear from those of you who wear a dental device as to what flavors and strengths (not nic content) are most flavorful to you. Collecting this data will help everyone who does wear them and will also help me to formulate juice recipes for us.

Added Note: From the responses, it looks like we may be on to something! If you have a good recipe, please PM me so I can start a recipe thread. I will give you credit (blame?!? Lol) for the recipe. Please tell us how how much flavor, how much VG/PG and how much nic if you use it. Also what size batch it makes - 3ml, 10ml, etc. Try to be specific for all us newbies.
This is awesome!

Last edited:

imawitch

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
anywhere my broomstick takes me
Luckily, I have all my bottom teeth..

However, I wear a partial denture for the top teeth..

I had a accident about 4 yrs ago and lost all 4 of my front teeth..

( dont ask about the accident, it was something goofy i did eh?)

anyhoo, my partial covers the entire top , the roof of my mouth..

I can sooooooo relate to taste changing due to the hard plastic of my dentures..

most of the time, when home and eating dinner? i pull my partial out so that i cna better taste my food...w/ plastic in, i dont get the full flavor...

ecigs...id much rather vape wiht out my teeth :D as the tasty flavors taste smoother, much tastier..

however, in public, i wear my teeth when vaping...

eta, its hard for me to find a happy medium lol

I do diy,,,mix my own flavors..and much of the time, i make them strong..

I just gotta have the flavor

my best flavors w/ dentures in are

key lime pie, oh my stars...licks my lips MMMMMMMm

pinapple...makes me want to do the hoola dance

coffee, my fave after dinner vape

peppermint...is my happy place

now, my hubby likes the same flavors...

however, i have to make his weak...

so we have 2 of everything, and i placed lables on them..w for the darling hubby, strong for the witch...

Moe Szyslak

Jul 16, 2010
Dallas
Cinnamon Candy. That's basically it. Everything else is more of an hint of flavor or just a slight after taste. Nothing I would really call FLAVOR. I cant even tell the difference in some of the sweet fruity juices that we bought. I use the dekang usa mix as my all day juice because I cant taste it...literally nothing. My wife thinks it taste like horrible tea and its too overpowering. Gives me my fix and its cheap so I dont care. I thought my taste would start to return when I quit smoking but I'm 5 weeks in and nothing. I dont really mind because it still is better than actual smoke taste. I break out the Cinnamon candy juice towards the end of the day to have a little something sweet.

Oh yeah, I have full dentures, no real teeth at all, and I'm only 30. I can vape with my teeth in/out with no noticeable taste difference. I gave up tasting anything a long time ago. Hope this helps.

This makes 2 threads you have started and as mentioned in the other one if you can smell it you can taste it as far as I'm concerned whether you use a dental device or not, not sure, sorry not much help.
Jude,
I posted in both places because I was trying to get input from both older and newer vapers. It was just a theory I was testing out. If you can taste what you smell, you are so-o-o lucky! BTW, do you wear a dental device?

jude8753

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2010
PA
Jude,
I posted in both places because I was trying to get input from both older and newer vapers. It was just a theory I was testing out. If you can taste what you smell, you are so-o-o lucky! BTW, do you wear a dental device?

I'm sorry that sounded so rude reading it back today. Yes, I can usually taste what I smell and do have a small partial or flipper.

imawitch

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Lil update..

ok...just did some diy

I used a 5ml empty bottle and added 7 drops of keylime pie to 36 mgs of unflavored pg/vg ejucie..i wear a partial denture ( top) and the taste is awsome for me at this mix..

However, I took a 5 ml empty bottle...added 4 drops of keylime pie flavor to some zero nic, just plain vg for the hubby, and its strong for him lol ( he has all his teeth)

oh well, he will get over it...i told him to vape it or loose it:laugh:

wearing dentures, i defi need stronger taste

Another good reason to brush and floss.........best to hang on to your original teeth!
Now, now... Some of us (like me) lose their teeth by other means. Chemotherapy took mine. Had 23 pulled all at one time. And they were beautiful, too; I loved my teeth. sniff sniff

Twilight

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
No. California, CA US
Now, now... Some of us (like me) lose their teeth by other means. Chemotherapy took mine. Had 23 pulled all at one time. And they were beautiful, too; I loved my teeth. sniff sniff

Wow, sorry to hear that. The most important thing is that you are still here. Of course what I meant was directed to those who lose their teeth due to something under their own control. The thread just reminded me that I should take better care of mine. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Wow, sorry to hear that. The most important thing is that you are still here. Of course what I meant was directed to those who lose their teeth due to something under their own control. The thread just reminded me that I should take better care of mine. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Twilight,
You didn't hurt my feelings, sweetie. I just still miss my little pearlies...
And you know the absolute worst part? My fav food on the whole planet is lobster and now it doesn't taste the same. :(
My husband says it makes me a cheaper date. lol!

gypsygirl

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2010
East Central Illinois
As responded to in the other post of yours, I do wear an upper plate and most definitely the tastes are VERY non-existent with most juices. Cinnamon is my absolute favorite and one that I can taste quite well. My husband thinks it's too strong (this was Ms.T's Red Hot Cinnamon Candy, 24mg, 80/20 PG/VG), I however, looooooved it!! :)
Other flavors are just "eh" to me so far. Tobacco flavors especially have not been a good choice for me as of yet. Maybe that will change as my taste buds come to life, but so far, I do believe it's from the upper plate/plastic in my mouth.
If I take it out at home, I do taste more, but I still think it's with years of use, causing me to not be able to taste as well as someone with all their teeth :( Sad, but, without my uppers, I'd have been in the hospital with a terrible infection or worse...not here at all. Not due to anything I did/didn't do over the years..my family as a whole has been prone to bad teeth. My dad got dentures when he was just 19, my grandmother at 25.

All in all, smelling and tasting for me are two completely different things. I can smell every single juice with no issue, but vaping them is like vaping air most times. Except for my beloved Cinnamon :) Did I mention I looooove that stuff? ;)

jude8753

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2010
PA
I have had bad sinus problems for years and nothing smelled right to me until I started vaping. If it smelled bad then it tasted the same way. I am now grateful thanks to vaping I can smell better so it tastes the same way I smell it. I said in another post that I make Bill smell everything, when it smells gross to me it doesn't to him, but it would taste gross to me because of the way it smelled. So maybe you want to check out your sinuses also.

klamathkid

May 5, 2010
Alabama
Aha!! The light dawns!! I, too, have full dentures. I have bottles and bottles of e-liquid that others have raved about -- I CANNOT taste them at all. I can taste a couple of tobacco flavors and Cinnabomb -- that's it!

Like others, vaping with or without my dentures doesn't make much of a difference. There is still NO taste. With only that couple of exceptions, I cannot even tell which is which.

I ordered about a dozen different flavorings from LorAnn. I've been doctoring my e-liquids with these additional flavorings. So far, I've just been filling my cartos and carts, then adding 2-3 drops of flavoring on top. It does indeed help.
The flavor, with my doctoring, is not necessarily now the same as on the label - which doesn't matter since I can't taste that anyway.

I am going to get some small bottles and some unflavored e-liquid (with an appropriate nic level already in it) and try my hand at DIY flavors using the ones I cannot taste (but have already paid for), plus the unflavored e-liquid, plus the additional flavoring. I may have to stick with the really strong flavors, cinnamon, clove, vanilla, etc.

Thank you, Cate, for bringing up this subject. I knew my experience with "taste" is different from most everyone else on the forum, but I had no clue why. I have no problem tasting my food, so, this "no taste" problem is new to me.

Nyxie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Port Richey, Fl.
I guess this is my problem as well. I can taste and I mean actually taste atomic cinnicide but it kills my tongue if I vape it more then a couple hours. The rest are sort of there and hints of this or that. Hubby has his original teeth and can taste all kinds of things, that I get only a hint of.
I have partials on top and bottom. Most likely in the next year or so I will have full on top because my teeth are so soft, they just fall apart.
I guess I really need to start DIY, so I can taste things better LOL.

gypsygirl

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2010
East Central Illinois
Aha!! The light dawns!! I, too, have full dentures. I have bottles and bottles of e-liquid that others have raved about -- I CANNOT taste them at all. I can taste a couple of tobacco flavors and Cinnabomb -- that's it!

Like others, vaping with or without my dentures doesn't make much of a difference. There is still NO taste. With only that couple of exceptions, I cannot even tell which is which.

I am SO glad to hear we are not alone in this..but sad to know we are all dealing with wearing those lovely plastic/acrylic pieces of "bleh" in our mouths. As if wearing them weren't enough of a headache! :glare:

I feel your pain on the Cinnamon flavors Nyxie!! I LOVE them, however, my tongue pays the price later on in the day. I will admit, I'm not going to dilute them at all, simply because I just love the flavor so much :p

I don't know if you've tried it, but I am vaping FreedomSmokeUSA's Mar/Boro right now and it's pretty flavorful to me. I did also notice if I blow half vapor out my nose and half out of my mouth, I do tend to taste a bit more flavor in the other ones as well, albeit, not a heck of a lot but it does help some.

Funny how none of us seem to have the same issue with food :?: I have no problems tasting foods of any kind, with or without the plate in my mouth. So odd to me that we'd be having issues with flavorings for ejuice.

And yes, thanks to Cate for bringing this thread to life!! All this time, we were thinking it was "just me" ;)

imawitch

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Ya'll i just thought of something..

remember when we would eat hot food and it would burn the roof our mouths?

well wearing dentures, least top dentures, thanks to that luvly plastic, i havent burnt the roof of my mouth in a long time lol

I guess thats 1 blessing ? :p

eta, still vaping on my strong and tasty key lime pie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread