Vaping Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoyousOne

Jan 19, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Ok - so you can't smoke anywhere anymore. I am new to e-cigs and am wondering what rules of etiquette to follow. Should I head outside to the smoking area or bust out the e-cig in my office? What about in public? The local pub? Are any of you finding that people look down on you when you vape in public as they did when you smoked? Or are people generally cool about it?

OMB

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
Western NC
I think the overall response will be to treat vaping like smoking. From a distance, someone will believe you are smoking...it gives the appearance of smoking. Or...ask (and explain e-cigs) just to be safe from busy bodies. Look in the forum here:
E-Cigarettes in Public - E-Cigarette Forum
There are many ways to handle just what you are asking about. Good Luck!
OMB

nerojrnde

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Elk Grove, CA
I tend to use smoke pits. The issue with public places is that people are not that educated on e-cigs. It is hard for someone to see "smoke" and not think anything can be taken in second hand.

If you work in an office, ask your supervisor or boss about it. I would not disclose the fact that there is nic because they might think that can be inhaled second hand.

SmilingSlasher

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2009
NC
Nero is right that people are not that educated on e-cigs, but I feel it is all of our responsibilities to help educate the public.

The world we live in is not as "cut and dry" as it once was. People see the vapor and think it is smoke. So I explain it like this.....

"In todays world nothing is EVER as it seems. What was once "Looks like a Duck, Quacks like a Duck, Must be a Duck" is more like "Looks like a Duck, Quacks like a Duck, Look it's an Emo Kid". We live in a world where you can be born a black man......and for a couple thousand bucks.....You can die as a white woman. And not only be "completely" a woman, in every physical way....but by law you can change your gender on your Birth Certificate."

So PLEASE.........Educate as many people as you can. We need all the support we can get!!!!!!

( This post IS NOT to be taken offensive or out of context. I have no problems with the people who choose to have sex changes. I'm "PRO" Do Whatever You Want With Your Own Body. I'm also not a racist....so no guff about me talking about changing races.)

(Ohhhh.......and I have NO problems with Emo Kids either!!!)

Last edited:

Skully7780

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
hartford, ct
I was thinking, has anyone been e-smoking and have a policeman think they were smoking a crack pipe or something and questioning them. I could definitely see that happening.

I would be surprised if that hasn't happened quite a few times, especially in inner-city.

I was just wondering -what if- a police officer pulled me over while I was vaping my Whisky ejuice and smelled it. Pulled me out of the car to do the test -totally pass- and them have him search my car and find 14 bottles of an unknown substance with seemingly fake "flavors" Im sure he would waste at least 4ml before giving up therby completly wasting my time and ejuice. LOL or worse yep bring me to the station to "make sure".

Last edited:

SmilingSlasher

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2009
NC
@ Skully7780.....

I said the samething about Strawberry Champagne. LOL :):):)

@ StayOutOfTrees........

I got stopped the other day for a headlight being out. Cop comes to the window and as I hand him my papers and ID, he notices my unit in my right hand.

He says to me....."Sir, Can I ask you what kinda pipe that is?, and if I have any problem with him searching the vehicle?"

I replied that he had no probable cause to want to search the vehicle, so NO, he couldn't. My car didn't smell of Drugs or Alcohol, and he could take me to jail and then search my vehicle after it was impounded. As for the "pipe" in my hand......It's called a "Personal Vaporizor" and it was an electronic Nicotine Delivery Device. To my knowlage, nicotine was still legal.

He was so fascinated by the unit, he asked me where he could get one so he could "smoke in his squad car"....I suggested a few sites and he told me to get the headlight fixed and to have a nice night. He really appriciated the good info and would be ordering one soon.

(and thanks to TimTam for merging the 2 threads!!!!)

Last edited:
I'm a newbie and went out with my e-cig for the first time last night. In a bar next to my work, I know the guy that runs the place - but it wasn't so bad. I just gave him a heads-up beforehand and spent most the evening happily vaping away at the bar. Such a novelty - I loved it!

We moved on to a place I didn't no so well, and just told the guy at the bar nearest to where I was going to be standing... "Hey mate, it's going to look like I'm smoking over here - just to let you know, I'm not. It's like an 'inhalator-thing' with a light on it. Ok?" He gave me a bit of a look, like: "Yeah ok, weirdo." and him and his friends were eyeballing me out of curiosity... but had no trouble.

I think other people in the bar were looking at me and wondering how I was getting away with smoking in there. I felt a little self-conscious, but it was kinda fun.

I guess as the popularity of e-cigs grows, these scenarios will become more commonplace.

wetookthebait

Jan 21, 2010
Delaware
At the office, instead of heading out for a 15 minute smoke break, I usually duck into the stairwell for a puff or two. I haven't used the e-cigarette at my desk... I just can't imagine that would get the nod from corporate. I feel shady enough going to the down stairs for a quick couple of drags. It's like I'm twelve years old again and ducking behind the wood shed.

Timtam

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2009
Australia

BammBamm

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
Wichita, Kansas
A friend of mine works at a tiny little post office, nearby. She was curious about my unit, so I whipped it out right there in front of God and everybody (okay, it was just the two of us there, at the time), vaped in a big 'ol puff, and blew a load all over her face! :evil:

She says, "Hmm...minty", which makes sense, since I had my cart filled with "Polar Mint" e-juice.

So, "yes, Virginia", it's apparently okay to vape in obscure, out-of-the-way US post offices, at least.

:thumbs:

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
Usually, you can ask and it'll be o.k.

Best advice: don't say it's an e-cigarette. People are afraid of the word "cigarette". If you say it's a "personal vaporizer" that you use, you'll get better results.

And the cops will be o.k. with it (and sometimes even airport security) if you unscrew it to show them the pieces and how it works. AFAIK, crack pipes don't unscrew into different pieces.

zombienerd

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
I find that as long as you're not using the white with orange/red LED unit, you shouldn't get much attention or difficulty.

My unit is a Silver 4081 with a Green LED (standard Cigarette sized unit), and although I've gotten some odd looks, I've vaped in Walmart, Sears, Best Buy, several bars, my office, three different grocery stores, many gas stations, and the list goes on. I've only had one or two people actually ask me what it was. I also don't call it an E-cig, I call it a Personal Vaporizer, it is just a little less "Run for the hills, it's cancer coming" than calling it an Electronic Cigarette.

I do, however, make it a point to hold the vapor in a little longer so I'm not bellowing out plumes of vapor everywhere. Most of the time when I finally exhale, you can barely see any at all, if that. I think that calms the "run for the hills" types, when they don't see anything coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread