Vaping gave me Eosinophilic Pneumonia, and I DONT use THC of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaperXant

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2014
New Mexico
Hey guys, I have been a member for a long time. I have bought tons of mods and juices over the years, but in terms of juices I have mostly used 2-3 of them outside of testing a new bottle occasionally. I don't use anything black market, even though you prob could consider all vaping products black market without regulation.

I got sick about 18 months ago and the doc's had no idea why. I was otherwise completely healthly, and suddenly unable to get up the stairs or breathe. I was rapidly degrading and I was vaping throughout this entire period because it was not yet known this was the cause.

I went back to smoking and that helped get better but it didn't fix the damage. I now need to take breo inhalers regularly otherwise I basically start to regress. I am still in treatment.

Bottom line, I use to be the most hardcore supporter and write anything down as big tobacco propaganda that was negative to vaping. This is NOT just THC related, as I meet someone else recently who had to go back to smoking because vaping kept putting him in the hospital.

The only reason I reactivated here, was hopefully to get the word out that this can be harmful and if your having trouble breathing, STOP VAPING.

• Informative
Reactions: Egzoset

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I'm sorry but I just can't comprehend what makes a long time vaper decide to smoke because they are having lung problems. I understand changing what you are doing. But going back to smoking is like you were doing something that was cutting you so you put down the knife and picked up a gun.
@vaperXant I do feel for you, a long term illness like that would really stink.
But what in vaping caused your pneumonia? Blanket statements are nobody's friend. Knowledge is power.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I'm sorry but I just can't comprehend what makes a long time vaper decide to smoke because they are having lung problems. I understand changing what you are doing. But going back to smoking is like you were doing something that was cutting you so you put down the knife and picked up a gun.
@vaperXant I do feel for you, a long term illness like that would really stink.
But what in vaping caused your pneumonia? Blanket statements are nobody's friend. Knowledge is power.

There's nothing quite like kicking a fellow when he's down...

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
There's nothing quite like kicking a fellow when he's down...
I truly am not trying to injure anyone in any way. I am saddened to see more and more ppl going back to smoking. It's hard though, I know, to let go of things that help you get by.
My apologies @vaperXant if I was out of line, that was not my intention.

vaperXant

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2014
New Mexico
This type of pneumonia is linked to cancer and parasitic infection. Reality is, years of smoking is most likely the underlying cause.
I have done a series of Biopsies, chest scans, etc to test for parasites and cancer related to the usual causes. All came up negative. My doctor is working with a few other pulmonologists to see what happened and it follows a series of other cases related to vaping in terms of the symptoms and chest scans across the country. While you are right in the past it has been mostly linked to parasitic infections, it's primary causes are still not 100% clear but in the last few years, there have been a large uptick in cases related to vaping, including mine.

You can find some more info here,
Acute eosinophilic pneumonia following electronic cigarette use
and generally here - Eosinophilic Pneumonia vaping - Google Search

In terms of "years of smoking being the cause", thats non-sense. I started smoking when I was 21 and stopped when I was 24 when my son was born and I went to vaping. I vaped for 5 years before I started to get sick, and was completely healthy. The doctors have literally told me vaping is the cause, and if I didn't stop I might DIE or need to go into an induced COMA.

As for the other replies, I will post my past gear and juices here shortly but since I have been vaping so long and its been so long since I originally got sick, I believe it was August of 2017, It will be very difficult to find the cause.

My personal belief is it's not related to a specific juice or piece of gear, but rather from long term exposure (5+ Years in my case, many other cases are 3+ years) to high wattage vaping since I often changed my gear and changed primary liquids every 6-9 months, and remained very sick until I stopped vaping. I would vape usually with 60-80 watts on a regulated device, mostly strawberry liquids at 3MG on the leading tank toppers (SMOK, FreeMax, Uwell, etc.)

As for why I would go back to smoking, I had a hard time quitting and since people are dropping dead left and right, and I almost went into a COMA personally, it seems to be the lesser evil in my case. I have a family and a growing business, and it's just not worth the risk. I know there is a long term risk of smoking cigs, but it's better than dropping dead now in my specific case. That said, I think there are likely multiple issues at play here, with the THC related cases being related to something entirely different. But I do believe there might be some longer-term effects to the lungs for certain populations related to nicotine-based vaping.

Last edited:

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
I have done a series of Biopsies, chest scans, etc to test for parasites and cancer related to the usual causes. All came up negative. My doctor is working with a few other pulmonologists to see what happened and it follows a series of other cases related to vaping in terms of the symptoms and chest scans across the country. While you are right in the past it has been mostly linked to parasitic infections, it's primary causes are still not 100% clear but in the last few years, there have been a large uptick in cases related to vaping, including mine.

You can find some more info here,
Acute eosinophilic pneumonia following electronic cigarette use
and generally here - Eosinophilic Pneumonia vaping - Google Search

In terms of "years of smoking being the cause", thats non-sense. I started smoking when I was 21 and stopped when I was 24 when my son was born and I went to vaping. I vaped for 5 years before I started to get sick, and was completely healthy. The doctors have literally told me vaping is the cause, and if I didn't stop I might DIE or need to go into an induced COMA.

As for the other replies, I will post my past gear and juices here shortly but since I have been vaping so long and its been so long since I originally got sick, I believe it was August of 2017, It will be very difficult to find the cause.

My personal belief is it's not related to a specific juice or piece of gear, but rather from long term exposure (5+ Years in my case, many other cases are 3+ years) to high wattage vaping since I often changed my gear and changed primary liquids every 6-9 months, and remained very sick until I stopped vaping. I would vape usually with 60-80 watts on a regulated device, mostly strawberry liquids at 3MG on the leading tank toppers (Crown, Uwell, etc.)

As for why I would go back to smoking, I had a hard time quitting and since people are dropping dead left and right, and I almost went into a COMA personally, it seems to be the lesser evil in my case. I have a family and a growing business, and its just not worth the risk. That said, I think there are likely multiple issues at play here, with the THC related cases being related to something entirely different. But I do believe there might be some longer-term effects to the lungs for certain populations related to nicotine-based vaping.

Pneumonia is scary when it gets that bad, no matter what the cause. I had bacterial pneumonia once that turned into blood sepsis after it ate through my lung. I was in the hospital for almost a month, had to have surgery to remove the mass in my chest cavity, and it took 6 months for me to recover from all that.

Anything that leaves you in a hospital bed, helpless, and facing death is sobering to say the least. It really makes you take stock of your life and look at things differently afterwards. I hope your recovery goes well. Take care.

vaperXant

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2014
New Mexico
I wonder what caused it? I have been vaping for 10 years and I haven't felt anything but better. I wonder if the temperature you were vaping had anything to do with it?
I do think high wattage is an issue, it's a lot of smoke your inhaling and over time I could imagine that causing excess moisture in the lungs. But in the end, it's hard to pinpoint what the cause was or even exactly when I originally got sick. It started out as a mild cough, then one month I literally couldn't breathe in the morning, i would fall out of bed gasping, i had went to the ER multiple times and they couldn't find anything wrong, then eventually my oxygen levels dropped to 85-90% and I was put in the hospital for an extended stay.

I worked with my pulm doc since then and have gotten better, but I relapse if I stop the Breo inhaler.

Generally, I don't know if this is a widespread issue, but if your experiencing any shortness of breath or an extended cough it might be worth quitting vaping.

• Informative
Reactions: Egzoset

vaperXant

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2014
New Mexico
Were you using stock coils, or building them yourself. If you built them yourself, what kind of wire were you using? stainless, nickel, etc.?
I use to build myself years ago, Mostly used SMOK or HORIZON coils and had for the last 2 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread