The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Vaping - I am about to give up due to sensativities/reactions

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by TheOdessa, Jan 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. TheOdessa

TheOdessa Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2014
    Tampa, Florida
    So recently I have been having some really horrible reactions to vaping. I have red and puffy eye lids (sometimes it's so bad it looks like I got punched in the eye). On top of that, I am having bad skin rashes and foggy head. Anxiety is kicking in and it's bad.

I drink a ton of water and take allegra. I also take immunity boosters such as Vitamin C.

I've tried:
    100% VG Juices such of Velvet Cloud or Heather's Heavenly vapes
    Mix rations of VG to PG such as 65% to 35%
    Higher rated liquids like Nictoticket and high end brands know to use quality ingredients.

The only thing I can do to prevent these rashes is to quit vaping all together. If I quit for 24-48 hours, all side effects subside and I'm left with the feeling that I need analogs.

The only thing I haven't tried is a super high based PG liquid, DIY making, or perhaps there is some sort of other base such as PG or VG that can be used?

I'm curious to hear what others have to say about this. I am going insane. My favorite hobby is literally making me miserable - more so then when I was on analogs. and testing all these theories is getting expensive.

Perhaps I am allergic to the nicotine itself? But I smoked for 5 years prior with no red skin issues.

2. LR40K

LR40K Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 3, 2014
    United States
    Although you see the symptoms disappear if you stop vaping if you've just quit smoking it may be something that the smoking was covering up?

Have you tried using just unflavored nicotine? You'd still want to be careful with the ratios but maybe it's a flavoring component doing it. You'd also want to look at the components of your atomizer.

What is the coil made of? Kanthal, SS, Nickel...you could be allergic to that and nothing to do with the juice. Also, what kind of wicking material is your atomizer using? Cotton, Japanese cotton, rayon...?

Do these reactions happen with different types of tanks/drippers? Could also be something with that? Ideally you'd want to see if it happens using different tanks also. Some use different types of o-ring material.

It sounds very frustrating and I hope you can get it squared away.

3. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    What nic mg/ml? .. have you tried lowering it?
    I started in the high 30's, now vape 3 - 6 mg/ml nic.
    Have you tried 50/50 pg/vg?
    I have a sensitivity to VG.
    Have you tried unflavored? .. to rule out flavorings.
    I have reactions to several flavorings.
    Did you stop using the treatment regime that worked for you before?

4. HauntedMyst

HauntedMyst Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 18, 2013
    Chicago
    You might want to see a doctor and have allergy tests done. You might be allergic to some flavoring, etc.

• Like Like x 4
  5. MattyTny

MattyTny Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 8, 2013
    New York
    Sorry to hear you're having a bad time with vaping.

When you first started did you have this issue? If not, what equipment and liquids did you use in the past? What equipment do you use now?

If you can pinpoint the problem by elimiting each variable you might get to the source. Since you've already determined VG liquids give you reactions, try PG liquids. Some people have reactions to either one. Flavor is also a variable.

An inexpensive way to test VG, PG, and flavoring would be to order 100% VG liquid and 100% PG liquid. Nude nicotine has both in unflavored. I would get a 50ml of 3mg 100% PG, and a 50ml of 3mg 100% VG. Both are unflavored so it is very inexpensive. That way you elimate flavor and test VG with nic and PG with nic.

3mg/mL - 36mg/mL Nicotine Base - Nude Nicotine

I'd put vaping on a pause for now if I were you, no reason to continually hurt/upset yourself.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rizzyking

Rizzyking Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Last year and a half it's become the thing for higher VG levels in liquid and not everyone can handle high VG I can't tolerate anymore then 30%, anymore I get a heavy chest and laboured breathing and other side effects. Try a higher PG ratio and see if that helps failing that the allergy test would also be a good idea.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    were/are you a smoker?? quitting the ciggies causes all sorts of reactions, I broke out in a severe rash on my back.
    The body goes thru some very adverse conditions while purging the toxins from it....

8. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    try Heathers again on the 100PG side... get a small bottle to test it.

maybe want to try the Nada "flavor" too...

9. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Op, considering your 2 years on ECF show no previous indication of Vaping harming your health............
    I suggest you speak with your doctor about allergies and/or other possible causes.

:cool:

Perhaps you have landed on a Flavor you love that has an adverse effect on you, or you have picked up a virus, or a piece of equipment is contaminated and affecting you.

Lots of reasons.

Back to the Basics.
    What never bothered you?
    What changed at what point that you now have issues?

Back to analogues? Why not another form of QUIT SMOKING AID? :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheOdessa

Sep 1, 2014
    Tampa, Florida
    I have not tried unflavored nicotine, but I have tried all kinds of flavors I can't even go over them all. Every profile and type I've tried had adverse effects.

I use purely kanthal with japanese cotton as a wick. I've tried this on all different types of tanks, coils, and drippers to the same effect.

11. TheOdessa

Sep 1, 2014
    Tampa, Florida
    I am at 3mg nic. This is my comfort level due to the high wattage subohming I do.

I have not tried unflavored liquids, so that may be a route to take. I appreciate the post.

I haven't tried 50/50, but I did just order some 90%PG, 10% VG and 80% PG and 20%VG juice to see what happens.

The treatment regime that worked for me before (plenty of water, allegra in the morning, wash eye lids morning and night with baby shampoo, apply pure alloe after each time, then moisten with fregereance free eczema lotion) no longer works. The only thing working now is to simply not vape.

12. TheOdessa

Sep 1, 2014
    Tampa, Florida
    I've always had the issues, but going higher wattage and subohming made the problem worse. I used to not inhale which gave me the least issues.

Instead of going backwards, I want to kill the root of the issue. If these high PG juices don't fix it, I'm going nude nicotine juices to see what happens. If that works, allergy tests will be in the works to rule out flavorings my body hates.

• Like Like x 1
  13. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Much more logical approach.

* Remember - Smoking can compromise the immune system and Mask conditions. It is possible you have had allergies and just never reacted due to chemical blocking.

Hope you find your triggers and a viable solution.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Eitje

Eitje Super Member

Sep 2, 2015
    A friend of mine had exactly the same type of response.
    His case was very controlled however. He only vapes my liquid and only vanilla. It came when I happen to buy a vanilla flavour/aroma from a different vendor.
    (My base is mixed in large batches and both his stock came from the same base)
    Switching back to the 'old' vanilla flavour, all rashes disappeared in days.
    For argument sake, he tried the troubled vanilla again after some days and the allergic reaction came back.
    Sorry, long story to make a point. Point being, maybe try a flavour of liquid completely out of your norm and from a vendor you did not buy from before (or one from before you allergy problems, if there was such a time).

• Like Like x 3
  15. edyle

edyle ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

So wait a minute.

First:

• Like Like x 1
  16. a9g

a9g Full Member

Jul 8, 2015
    California
    Thats unfortunate, sorry to hear this! I doubt it's the nicotine since you used to smoke but I think I've heard somewhere that allergies can change every 7 years?

17. RoseJ

RoseJ Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 4, 2016
    Florida
    You might also want to get tested for any thyroid problems. Quitting smoking can unmask thyroid conditions. There's a ton of information available out there on this. It's worth looking up, if nothing else.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Robert Cromwell

Robert Cromwell Moved On ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    It is not the PG nor VG but some of the ingredients in commercial ejuice.
    I had the same problem and went to DIY or I would have gone back smoking.
    I suspect there are more like us than people on here realize.

• Like Like x 2
  19. glointhedark

glointhedark Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Antelope, CA, USA
    You could also try using pure coconut oil from the cooking oil aisle in the supermarket to moisturize your skin. The one we get comes in a jar and is listed as 100% organic. It is very versatile. I spoon some out of the jar into a small container to use for skin care. No coconut smell - no scent at all - no additives of any kind - and it works better for me than any commercial skin lotion. An added benefit is that you can use it for cooking, too.

I also like to get pure shea butter. A little more expensive than the coconut oil, but you can get it pure with no scents or other additives. This also works great for my skin.

I have had skin problems for many years. I have had commercial skin lotions that were supposed to be "extra moisturizing" dry out my skin. I was given a prescription for a cortisone cream for "atopic dermatitis", which I hate to use on my hands since I do most of the cooking and food prep during the week when my daughter works. Between the shea butter and coconut oil, I have not had to use the prescription at all for several years. I can control flareups and irritation much quicker, and, since a little goes a long way with both the shea butter and coconut oil, I save money.

I hope you find the answer to your problem soon, and can get back to enjoying vaping.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Belhade

Belhade Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

If it's the flavoring, or the base, I'd go DIY. I did it myself, got the sample from Nude Nic in 100% PG, also some straight PG and VG so I can mix it myself and work out acceptable percentages. Once I got that straightened out I started adding small amounts of my favorite juices for a bit of flavor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.