Vaping Improves Productivity - Article I'm Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mousey

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Writing this article up for my site atm, Just thought i'd ask you guys to check it out and see what you think before it goes live :)

vaping improves productivity – A Web Developer’s Perspective

Being a web developer isn’t always easy, It’s sometimes frustrating and draining. It’s not a case of sitting down and tinkering with a website, It’s more a case of figure out what’s going wrong with the website, and start tearing apart the files that make it up until you’ve fixed the problem.

Now when I first got into web development I wanted to develop with a language called PHP which stands for “HyperText Pre-Processor”, Scary technical language aside it’s basically the language that about 99.4% of the web is written in, the site you’re viewing this on right now is based around PHP. There was another small issue with wanting to use this language when I first started out; I still smoked.

At this point you’re probably thinking “So what, Smoking doesn’t affect your ability to do technical stuff”, But here’s the thing – it did. Basically when you’re creating a web page, a single mis-typed or missing character can break an entire web page, so it can be very tedious fixing problems.

When things would go wrong when I smoked, I’d try my best to fix it, make 2 or 3 attempts and end up in a fit of rage, promptly storming outside to light up a cigarette. This was all well and good until I came back inside and closed down the project without a second thought because at that point I’d lost the willpower to fix it any more and it would sit idle for months.

But then I started vaping, and all that would change. I’ve learned how to do more with PHP than I ever thought I’d learn how to do, I’ll bash out an entire page’s worth of code, hit run and it will just work first time (… most of the time), Why?
So like I mentioned above, when things would go wrong when I smoked, I’d storm outside, light up and then not touch the project again for a while. But now I’m vaping it’s a very different scenario, When things go wrong instead of storming outside I’ll pick up my ZMax, Lean back In my chair, take a swig of coffee and carefully read the page I’ve written up looking meticulously for errors, all the time puffing away on some Blueberry 18mg.

Because of the way I handle things when they go wrong now that I Vape, I’ve managed to build entire systems in half the time it would have taken me when I smoked. Being able to sit and vape, looking things over carefully has made me ten times more efficient than I would have been a year ago and I owe it all to that tasty puff of vapour.

It begs the question that I’m eager to find out, What kind of things have you been able to do better since you switched to Vaping? Send us a tweet and let us know!

~ Tom Lovelady

-------
Revisions
1 - Remove "Water" from Water Vapour at the end - ChooChooGranny

Last edited:

Bolivar

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Surrounded by cows and wheat
Nice article. It would be helpful if employers would read and heed.

Personal experience: a lot of times, a smoke break would help me fix a problem. Seems like walking away for a few minutes would direct my focus somewhere else. At the same time, my mind is still turning the problem over in the background. Suddenly the solution pops out from left field.

Additional note- a lot of the mistakes were made as the crave for a cigarette was sneaking up on me. need a smoke...I'll work just a little longer....need a SMOKE...I'll just finish this little part...NEED a SMOKE...I really need to get this finished....NEED A SMOKE....why isn't this working...NEED A SMOKE...

You all know the drill. If I could have just lit up where I was and kept going.... Ahhhhhh, the good old days !

Sent from the north 40 via messenger cow

CalamityJess

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
That's what I've been trying to say! I'm 40 and in college. When I smoked, I was constantly getting distracted from my classwork (I attend online) especially when I'd get frustrated. I'd storm out to the garage, come back and have lost my drive. Now I can vape at my desk, and power through it!

Speaking of which I really should be doing that now. Vaping may increase productivity but ECF on the other hand....

Subdivisions

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
PA
I agree with Bolivar about stepping away to catch a smoke. I'd usually come up with solutions out back smoking. I think the same could be done by stepping out for a vape or even sitting in your chair taking a vape and looking at the ceiling. You may want to add in something about nicotine's cognitive enhancing abilities. That's probably what really made us have the aha moment outside in the smoker's realm. This could obviously be done now without going outside and losing time as long as you're allowed to do it in your office (thank god i can).

Last edited:

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Seattle
It hasn't up my productivity as I'll I want to do lately is vape, watch vaping videos and search for/buy products! I'm may need to hire a maid to tidy up my house, until I get this out of my system.

Pretty sad when my 9 year old knows who grimgreen, indoorsmokers and riptrippers are LOL!

Add me to the list of questionable productivity (maybe its the length of time vaped). Easy chair in living room, chain vaping some chocolate. Mmmmm. And yes, I don't even need to google those names :vapor:

Mousey

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
I'll be writing plenty more articles in future and sharing them here :) my next one has been inspired by the female vapers thread that's royally blown up, I'd like to gather more information on the whole girl's vaping scene and try to level the playing field a bit :)
(Change the world ect lol)

Sent from a cloud of ZMax vapour using Tapatalk

Ravensfan

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2013
Baltimore, MD
It's a good article that makes a valid point that has been debated for years. Smoker's and their smoke breaks can harm productivity, and make other employee's jealous since they don't take smoke breaks (although they may spend 6 hours a day on Facebook). Sadly, I think vapers are going to be exiled just like smokers have been, which will negate any productivity you gain from being able to stay at your desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread