Vaping in Public places indoor. Do you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanRed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
California
As the title says, do you do it?

I live in California, and smoking is banned just about eveywhere. But does this apply to vaping? Could I pull out my Kgo, and vape it up in a resturant? A Gas Station? Anywhere in doors at all?

I don't drink, so I dont go to bars. But Im mainly wondering if there is laws about this, and/or is it accepted as ok. Can I walk around a local supermarket and vape? I'm sure it would draw a bunch of attention none the less, and I bet an employee of said establishment would come tell me stop in thoughts that I was smoking inside. The oder is not offensive at all, but purely on a visual level I'm sure it would turn heads.

So do any of you have any background with this? Have you vaped inside a public place at all? Do you ask first before you do?

-Ryan

Last edited:

jaynole

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2012
Lakeland, Fl
I'm new here and often wonder the same thing. I live in Florida. Went to see Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw last weekend at the Bucs stadium in Tampa. I vaped in the stadium through the whole concert. Just kinda blew my vapor hard at my feet. Had no complaints. I'm following your thread. I'm curious of the responses you get. Good luck and happy vaping.

Sent from my Incredible 2 HD using Tapatalk 2

dgm76513

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Belton, TX
I vape in public all the time. At the store, in school, heck even in front row in class I can be found blissfully taking notes and puffing away and the only attention I have gotten were inquiries from smokers as to what I was puffing on and whether or not it worked. I've vaped on planes, busses, in other people's cars, in gas stations (not while pumping, though) even during jury duty. Not once have I gotten a negative remark, or have been asked to stop or leave. I did, however get a few nasty looks at an airport in Dallas, but I chock that up to my experiences with prominent rudeness in the area.

To answer your question specifically, I have only vaped in California at Ft Irwin, and Barstow. Every day after work, I would walk into IN-N-OUT burger, and wait in line to order my daily Double-Double while vaping away. I haven't had any problems thusfar. :2c:

I forgot to add that I do, however, ask those around me if they have any objections to my vaping while in a small area such as a plane, elevator or crowded building.

Last edited:

Froggie

Jun 8, 2012
earth
I vape @ 0mg so I don't feel that my second hand vape would be anymore harmful than the vapor coming off a cup of tea or coffee. I did sit alone in the back of a movie and vape contentedly tonight. Last time we went to a movie we were not in the back and I tried to exhale slowly and down so that the fog did not attract attention. I'm sorry to say, but in many cases it's likely easier not to ask and either explain what it is or put it away if challenged. There are many places I would not feel comfortable vaping openly, but I have taken a puff or 2 walking thru the mall.

Wren

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
Chi-town
I vape @ 0mg so I don't feel that my second hand vape would be anymore harmful than the vapor coming off a cup of tea or coffee. I did sit alone in the back of a movie and vape contentedly tonight. Last time we went to a movie we were not in the back and I tried to exhale slowly and down so that the fog did not attract attention. I'm sorry to say, but in many cases it's likely easier not to ask and either explain what it is or put it away if challenged. There are many places I would not feel comfortable vaping openly, but I have taken a puff or 2 walking thru the mall.

Like that old saying..."it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission!" ;P

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I vape everywhere it' not explicitly prohibited or obviously inappropriate, like a funeral home. I've had zero problems. In a restaurant, I may or may not ask first. If I ask, I'll try to ask a manager instead of some server who will go immediately into CYA mode. In a bar, I don't ask. In a theater, I keep my vapor to a minimum so as not to obscure the view of others. In a grocery store I don't ask. In a retail store where I'm going to be spending time, I might or might not vape or I might or might not ask first. It depends on the situation, but I never assume that because smoking is prohibited, vaping is. I'm not smoking and nobody has a legitimate reason to be offended. I don't suffer fools gladly and I don't cater to willfull ignorance or irrationality.

If there are laws against it, they'll be on the state of local level and they'll likely just lump smoking and vaping together. The fight is going on State by State, city by city. CASAA has a lot of info on legislation proposed, passed and defeated that would ban vaping where smoking is not allowed. They have legislative alerts about proposed legislation. Utah was the latest State that went down, AFAIK. Other states dodged the bullet and removed vaping from statewide indoor smoking bans. Some cities have passed anti-vaping laws and some haven't addressed it at all.

My feeliing is that the more you vape in public, the more people will stop confusing vaping and smoking and the more people will realize how stupid these laws are. If you sneak around, vaping in smoking areas, vaping a cigarette look-alike and otherwise acting like a smoker, people will associate vaping and smoking.

I have personally influenced the policies of several bars and restaurants that formerly had no policy on vaping. It is up to us to do this before the anti-nicotine zealots do it for us, either through legislation or their propaganda machine. There's no need to be "in your face" about any of it. But unless the law is already established, we are under no obligation to acquiesce to the demands of every random person who does not know, and is not interested in learning, that vapor is not smoke.

Vape considerately. Demonstrate and educate. That's the only way to immunize the public from the propaganda campaign that's being waged against vaping.

Last edited:

Filibuster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
Tacoma Washington
Yep! I've vaped in planes, bars, stores of all kinds, restaurants, movies, banks, etc. Twice I have been asked to stop, both times in bars and I complied. Other than a few sideways glances and questions I haven't had a problem. I don't use cigarette lookalikes, so that probably helps! In my experience, its better to ask forgiveness than permission lol

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA

I vape 18/24mg and I know for a fact that my vapor is no more harmful than the exhaled breath of someone using a Nicotrol inhaler. When they ban inhalers because of the risk to bystanders, I'll possibly change my position. Possibly.

Meahwhile, I had my parrot tested for nicotine. I chain vapee within 8' of her cage all day for 2 years. If there is anything in the air, the respiratory system of a bird will pick it up at a much higher efficiency than any other animal. The only pollutants in her blood or tissue were certain chemicals from the traffic in my neighborhood. No nicotine or, for that matter, any other component of a cigarette. The traffic outside pollutes the air in my home worse than my vaping. Cost me several hundred dollars to find that fact out, so I'm gonna use it.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
You've vaped in planes??? Just in your seat or in the loo? It'd be lovely to be able to vape on a long flight.

When was the last time you did this, and what airlines, if I might ask?

Strictly illegal on U.S. flights, since some months back. In the loo is o.k. though still illegal. The smoke detectors won't pick it up. I suggest an non-tobacco juice. Don't you always bring air freshener into the loo with you?

ahall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
illinois
I vape 18/24mg and I know for a fact that my vapor is no more harmful than the exhaled breath of someone using a Nicotrol inhaler. When they ban inhalers because of the risk to bystanders, I'll possibly change my position. Possibly.

Meahwhile, I had my parrot tested for nicotine. I chain vapee within 8' of her cage all day for 2 years. If there is anything in the air, the respiratory system of a bird will pick it up at a much higher efficiency than any other animal. The only pollutants in her blood or tissue were certain chemicals from the traffic in my neighborhood. No nicotine or, for that matter, any other component of a cigarette. The traffic outside pollutes the air in my home worse than my vaping. Cost me several hundred dollars to find that fact out, so I'm gonna use it.

wow you have just answered the subject of my next thread. thank you. i was worried that something in my vape would affect my tiel and keet since they are so sensitive. that is great news!

as for vaping in public. i havent really had the chance to test that here in illinois yet. i live in a very small area and im sure people would have lots to say about it. but since starting i really havent been anywhere long enough that i would want to vape while in. when i am in that circumstance i will vape and depending on the situation may or may not ask if it is ok. if asked to stop then i will explain what it is and why i am doing it and if they are persistance that i do not do it then i will stop. but i will be sure to educate on the matter no matter what

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
I've vaped in restaruants, Dr's offices, shopping malls, Wal-Mart and even my Mom's non-smoking home and my non-smoking friends car. So far I've not encountered anyone who's been opposed to my vaping. I normally ask if it's ok with the person if it's possible, but for places like Wal-Mart who would you ask? lol! So I just vape. I live in a very small community where ecigs are not that well known. So far the only comment I've gotten is that my Provari looks something like a StarWars light saber.

Froggie

Jun 8, 2012
earth
Strictly illegal on U.S. flights, since some months back. In the loo is o.k. though still illegal. The smoke detectors won't pick it up. I suggest an non-tobacco juice. Don't you always bring air freshener into the loo with you?

Tee hee I don't always travel with air freshener...but Mr Frog has been known to bring his own freshener to public loos! Let's just say it's not for a smoking/vaping reason. :evil:

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
In the office at work; my boss doesn't care. I've vaped very lightly in some establishments, but only in very large, warehouse style stores, where I'm confident that it won't bother anyone. Even then I keep it on the DL; I don't blow giant clouds.

In my opinion, my desire to inhale nicotine doesn't trump others' rights not to breath in what I'm producing. Vapor is less harmful than cigarette smoke, yes. But that doesn't mean it's completely harmless. We simply don't know who much second hand nicotine we're giving off. It may be a little or none, it may be a lot. We just don't know. Plus, there's always the possibility that someone might be sensitive to PG or a flavoring in my juice. It's not very nice to send someone into a sneezing fit just because I don't want to wait 10 minutes until I'm outside. PG even bothers my sinuses sometimes, because I do have seasonal allergies. When they're bothering me, I am sensitive to things that otherwise don't usually bother me. Irritated nasal passages and what not.

In general, I try to be a sensitive and polite to other people around me.

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California

That is definitely encouraging, however I would caution you against taking that as a general, or absolute fact. I mean don't get me wrong, it's absolutely encouraging, and great that your parrot has suffered no ill side effect of your vaping. But, the sample size of the test, and lack of control makes me cautious, about calling it a fact. Encouraging, yes, but not a shut book case.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
That is definitely encouraging, however I would caution you against taking that as a general, or absolute fact. I mean don't get me wrong, it's absolutely encouraging, and great that your parrot has suffered no ill side effect of your vaping. But, the sample size of the test, and lack of control makes me cautious, about calling it a fact. Encouraging, yes, but not a shut book case.
The parrot not only suffered no ill effects, she contained no nicotine or other tobacco derived toxins. If you understand the respiratory system of a bird, you would understand that that's about as shut book as it gets. There is no way possible that vapor could contain any appreciable amount of nicotine and not have it show up in this bird's bloodstream. No way unless the vet ripped me off and didn't perform the tests. Sample size is irrelevant. We aren't talking about symptoms or immunity or effects. We are talking presence of a substance. It's as valid as any drug test done on a human's blood. Other than respecting chain of custody and protocol, you wouldn't use lack of controls or sample size as a defense if you were charged with driving drugged and the evidence was a blood test. You might try, but a judge would laugh at you.

The parrot is the lesser of the evidence anyway. We know more than you might suspect about what is exhaled in vapor. We also know that what is exhaled in vapor is less irritating and harmful than what our cars spew, what busses spew, what our lawnmowers emit, what comes out of our chimneys or our vinyl furniture or carpet glue, our bbq grills or our chainsaws and outboard engines. For particularly sensitive people, we risk offending them with our aftershaves, colognes and deodorants or no-deodorants. If what we do as vapers came from a cup instead of a cylindrical device, nobody would say a thing about it. That's a fact. It's the similarity to smoking that causes all the concern. The amount of nicotine in vapor is minute. As I said before, there is every bit as much exhaled nicotine in the breath of a Nicotrol user and nobody questions their right to exhale.
Here are some links to what we know. Note the amount of nicotine and other substances in vapor. You would literally have to exhale into someones mouth for an extended period of time to expose them to as much nicotine as is contained in an average tomato. These figures are raw vapor. Exhaled vaper contains considerably less, as much of it is absorbed by the vaper.
Ecigarette mist harmless, inhaled or exhaled

Here's a legislative statement by Health New Zealand.
http://www.aaphp.org/Resources/Documents/20100402AAPHPEcigLegisStatemnt.pdf

Here's a more detailed analysis of the contents of vapor.
http://www.healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartridgeReport30-Oct-08.pdf

And a more concise version:
http://www.healthnz.co.nz/News2012SOTposter1861.pdf

Last edited:

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
I use my Reo Mini which is quite stealthy and vape wherever I want. If you exhale the vapor into your sleeve or downward you can vape without really bringing any attention to yourself. If I am in a place where there are lots of children or vaping may cause undue attention (a la McDonalds, Barnes and Noble cafe etc) I usually go outside or to the bathroom. Don't think that little ones understand nor should they have to ask mommy why this woman is "smoking" in the establishment.

JMHO though. I try to respect that people are not aware yet and not cause any discomfort but will vape pretty much any time that I wanna vape.

tony.he

Moved On
Feb 23, 2012
China
www.kamry.cc
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
According to the Health NZ study, their sample contained 0.01mg nicotine per puff. If the average vaper absorbed 40% of that, it leaves .006mg per puff in exhaled vapor. Considering vapor dissipates and settles rapidly, how may vapers would you need to pack into a normally ventilated room in order to expose one by stander to the amount of nicotine in one puff of a cigarette, 0.1mg?

Assuming that there was no ventilation, 17 vapers would have to simultaneously breathe into the mouth and nose of a bystander for him to be exposed to the amount of nicotine in one puff of a cigarette. All the exhaled vapor would have to be inhaled by the bystander. If the bystander absorbed this nicotine at the same rate as the vapers, he would have to be inhaling the breath of 43 vapers, simultaneously, to absorb the same amount of nicotine he'd absorb if he took one puff of a cigarette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread