Vaping in public places where smoking is usually not allowed.....a rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yepimonfire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So i was travelling home after thanksgiving break and while i was waiting on the bus, i was vaping in the station. About 2 hours had passed by with me vaping and almost no one had said anything. One guy comes in and i pick up my PV again and start vaping it and he mentions that i am not allowed to smoke in the station (this guy was just a passenger waiting as well, not staff, the staff had not said anything). I showed him the device and explained how it wasn't a cigarette and produced no smoke, he ended the conversation saying "if the right person see's you using it you will be in trouble". I finally gave up and went outside.

I know some people on here claim that just because were vaping doesn't mean we should be able to vape in places smoking is normally banned, but i whole-heartedly disagree. There is absolutely no reason why we should be restricted to vaping outdoors or in designated smoking area as our PV's give off no smoke or anything remotely unsafe for the public. Sure, it does look like smoke, and could possibly be mistaken for smoke, but that isn't a reason to not vape in places, if someone mentions something, it isn't that difficult to explain what it is. I've vaped many places smoking is explicitly banned and MOST of the time, a simple explanation of the device is all that is required. I once remember vaping outside on campus, where smoking is totally banned and a fineable offense by campus police, i had campus enforcement question me about it, i explained it, and was asked to give a demonstration. It was over and done and ended with a "fair enough, thats fine." I've also vaped in CVS, actually in class, at the docs, all kinds of places.

The main point of this thread is that i think we should do a better job of educating those who question vaping or mistake it for smoking, rather than self-subjecting ourselves to the same regulations smokers are bound to. If state legislation has banned it, well that is a different story altogether, but if it isn't, i see no reason why we should hold ourselves to the same rules as smokers.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
icon3.png
I wonder if he was alluding to those LEO's who allegedly tazer you first and ask questions later.:ohmy:

Who exactly would the right person be?

Still, at least you tried explaining it to him, some people just don't want to know they just want to have a go at you. Don't sweat it.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
I have vaped nearly everywhere. I have only been vaping since last Feb but I have vaped at my sons football games in the bleachers, the doctors office and in line inside wal mart for hours on black Friday. No one has ever said anything negative to me yet but if they do I will put my PV away and use it later. I don't have a problem explaining all about how I switched from smoking to vaping as a healthier choice. Most people just say thats great and good for me. I am afraid that if vapers act like they are doing something wrong people will think we are doing something wrong. I also vape in front of my kids. I am from the era of do as I say not as I do and I refuse to hide from my children. Have your kids ever seen you with a beer or a glass of wine? My kids are happy for me that I no longer smoke. I just think the whole anti smoking thing has everyone feeling so noughty and nasty that people are just afraid people will think they are smoking. For me the best way is to just show them what I am doing and be proud of my choice.

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
You bring unwanted and unnecessary bad publicity to all of us when you do this. Other people have rights too, and yours end where theirs begin. If you aren't allowed to smoke somewhere, don't vape there. If someone says it bothers them, don't vape there. Act like a grown-up and follow the Golden Rule.

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
Arizona
By the way, please provide links to the studies that say this.

Yes, please do. Because everything I have read has stated there have not been sufficient studies done at this time to determine the risk of vaping and what the effects of second hand vapor are.

I don't think being confrontational or apathetic is going to make anything easier.

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
Here ya go.

http://clearstream.flavourart.it/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/CSA_Poster.pdf

However there is still a nuisance value to take into consideration. I for one, even tho' I vape, have no desire to sit in your vapor cloud while I'm eating my dinner for example.

That isn't exactly something of the nature of a "long term study", and even if you want to count it as such

Conclusions
Passive vaping is expected from the use of e-CIG. However, the quality and
quantity of chemicals released to the environment are by far less harmful
for the human health compared to regular tobacco cigarettes.
Evaporation
instead of burning, absence of several harmful chemicals from the liquids
and absence of sidestream smoking from the use of the e-CIG are probable
reasons for the difference in results.

Less harmful does not equal not harmful.

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
Arizona

Absintheur

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
north central Indiana
Farting in an elevator isn't illegal either but I have respect for other folks and don't do it...lol. I really dislike being around people who think perfume ore cologne will sub for a bath as well. Not everyone will like the smell of the juice you are vaping, I find some of the strong tobacco juices offensive even. As a general rule if I didn't smoke there I don't vape there. It all comes down to respecting other people.

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
Arizona
Here ya go.

http://clearstream.flavourart.it/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/CSA_Poster.pdf

However there is still a nuisance value to take into consideration. I for one, even tho' I vape, have no desire to sit in your vapor cloud while I'm eating my dinner for example.

It's a good start. But one study funded by Flavourart done in Italy or Greece isn't really going to be enough to sway the US "general public", and the FDA. I've been researching this for the past month and I can only find one US study supporting these conclusions. Most of what I read says more long term studies need to be conducted before any claims to safety or harm can be made. In medical journals like The Lancet they go as far as to call them dangerous and not regulated. Will be interesting to see how this all transpires.

jayscott

Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
Amherst, Ma.
He didn't rat you out so I don't think he was being unreasonable. I've been vaping for 2 months and haven't yet tried to vape anywhere where smoking would be a big reaction. I live in Ma. which I consider a state likely to be the first to ban ecigs if it happens and really don't want to antagonize anyone. To be honest I find vaping in public place a bit rude. Even if it carries no danger someone may have asthma or allergic reaction or just get very annoyed about big vape clouds rolling around. Granted I don't spend much time waiting around in such areas. Now if the outside wasn't easily accessible and you made a good effort to avoid other people then well, it happens.

So far the only time i've been called out is in the mall parking lot. No smoking is allowed anywhere on property even in the parking lot and a rentacop stopped me to let me know that. I explained it was an ecig and that I had no intentions of using it inside the mall, even though it isn't smoking. He was cool with that and left.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
So i was travelling home after thanksgiving break and while i was waiting on the bus, i was vaping in the station. About 2 hours had passed by with me vaping and almost no one had said anything. One guy comes in and i pick up my PV again and start vaping it and he mentions that i am not allowed to smoke in the station (this guy was just a passenger waiting as well, not staff, the staff had not said anything). I showed him the device and explained how it wasn't a cigarette and produced no smoke, he ended the conversation saying "if the right person see's you using it you will be in trouble". I finally gave up and went outside.

I know some people on here claim that just because were vaping doesn't mean we should be able to vape in places smoking is normally banned, but i whole-heartedly disagree. There is absolutely no reason why we should be restricted to vaping outdoors or in designated smoking area as our PV's give off no smoke or anything remotely unsafe for the public. Sure, it does look like smoke, and could possibly be mistaken for smoke, but that isn't a reason to not vape in places, if someone mentions something, it isn't that difficult to explain what it is. I've vaped many places smoking is explicitly banned and MOST of the time, a simple explanation of the device is all that is required. I once remember vaping outside on campus, where smoking is totally banned and a fineable offense by campus police, i had campus enforcement question me about it, i explained it, and was asked to give a demonstration. It was over and done and ended with a "fair enough, thats fine." I've also vaped in CVS, actually in class, at the docs, all kinds of places.

The main point of this thread is that i think we should do a better job of educating those who question vaping or mistake it for smoking, rather than self-subjecting ourselves to the same regulations smokers are bound to. If state legislation has banned it, well that is a different story altogether, but if it isn't, i see no reason why we should hold ourselves to the same rules as smokers.

Not if it antagonizes someone. You did the right thing and left but if there is no "vaping alllowed" sign.
yes-symbol-transparent-back.jpg

Then we got to go. I commend you on you cool. Until some kind of bigger understanding occurs we are stuck. Antagonizing is counter productive. We don't need any more enemies. They seem to be lining up right now. Again congrats on doing the right thing. I do agree it is frustrating though. Especially when they ignore you when you tell them. Just remember there are some hardA control freaks and folks that are just going to lump us in that smoking box. I do what you do and try to explain but some folks do not want to hear it. Maybe they need an obnoxious antismoker voodoo doll. With long pins.

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
I vaped in a Wegman's grocery store in the People's Republic of Maryland (a state where pretty much EVERYTHING that is enjoyable is forbidden)...

One guy said something to me. It was a 20-something yuppie-looking guy, and he asked if it was an e-cig. I was wearing my AcryliMax on a lanyard around my neck. He sai he saw me take a puff off it in another aisle. I gave him my "elevator pitch", and he sai he wasn't a smoker, but thought it was interesting. He wasn't interested in vaping, but he thought it was a good idea for getting off cigs. He seemed supportive, and we parted shaking hands with a smile.

Not exactly what I expected from a non-smoker here in the PRM, but I was happy it went down that way. I think I made an ideological convert, even if he never actually vapes.

If I would have been "stealth vaping", I never would have had that opportunity to "spread the gospel"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread