Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudcity

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2013
Boston MA
I'm still fairly new... I'm not shy in crowds, bars or nightclubs where I know people. Around strangers, parties, etc where I don't I'm still a little gun shy.

I keep a larger Ego style PV with a clearo on me for places I know people, and a smaller E-Cab for places I don't ... (just ordered an eRoll for those indiscriminate moments (but am getting more comfortable using larger PVs around strangers...)

I will say that vaping still has not caught on here in the NE (I'm in Boston...) Not sure why! I know there are tons of vapers in the city, but I just don't see people using them openly very often ... if I do though, I immediately strike up conversation...

I do like when people ask about it and if they smoke and want to try it, I oblige them right away!!

I don't use it in bars or nightclubs either (except one local dive / watering hole where the staff know me reeeeeally well, and genuinely could care less.) - otherwise I keep it strictly outside, which has helped me be around smoke and become impervious to smelling smoke and getting cravings. Unless I'm at my dive, I even feel weird "stealth" vaping or doing it in the bathroom. I'd rather just go out and socialize with the smokers and hopefully field some questions if anyone asks...

I do occasionally get asked if I'm "smoking" something else - which irks the living $h!t out of me! - and I immediately say absolutely not, and try and give out a little practical info about vaping ...

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I only vape where smoking is allowed, so far. If I used to be able to make it through a meal at a restaurant without smoking, I can make it through the same meal without vaping. And in the decade or so I've lived here, I haven't even seen another vaper, much less met one out in public.

vrodder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
East Central Alabama
Not nervous or shy about vaping in public. I take my Vamo most places I go. Tho I am respectful of no smoking rules. Well most of the time. I vape at work on the shop floor. Supervisor doesn't have a problem with it. I do keep it discrete. I have been asked about my PV by smokers and have gladly explained it. Have let a few friends try my PV and have even had a couple of converts.:)

Zee2006

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Personally I'm not shy, but I am respectful, I vape outside EVERYWHERE if I go somewhere that tells me I can't vape outside, I stop going to that place..... They have a choice in what they (the company) allows on their premises, I have a choice where to spend my dollars. https://www.visitkingsisland.com/ is one of those places that doesn't allow vaping except in the smoking sections, so I no longer go to Kings Island nor will I buy yearly passes, last year I bought 8 passes totaling a lil over $800. so vaping not only saved me cig money it saves me KI money! LOLOL

I really don't vape inside, anywhere, except home or a friends home..... or bars.... but the bars I go to (not that I've been in a while) still allow smoking, so vaping is easy......

I always vape in cars, I don't avoid vaping when I see a cop........ I think some people do that LOL

But I heard a story about someone being told by a cop to pour out their e-liquid ..... and I have already decided if that ever happens to me they will have to arrest me because NO way in hell will I do that..... When cops start making people pour out their sodas I'll reconsider this.... but not til then...... and yes I will hire a lawyer and sit in court and watch the fun
:pop:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Are you shy? are you nervous? is it a stigma? should it be alllowed? do you worry what people may or do think? do you think vapers should follow the same guidelines as smokers? how about professional settings?, ie restaurants, the movies, public trans......

This topic has been discussed about 1000 times on here. Why not do a search vs start it all over again?

Vape openly most places but respectfully is what many of us do.

Daryl Glen

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2013
Titusville, FL, USA
www.youtube.com
My wife and I just went to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios in Orlando, and were told several times by employees of Universal Studios to not vape unless we were in designated smoking areas.
I couldn't help but notice that there were about 3 dozen fog machines located on every street out there, and we were constantly walking through thick clouds of fog. The overall theme of the event was The Walking Dead, and zombies would appear to scare us through the fog, but the irony wasn't lost on me.
That prompted me to cover this topic here: Vaping in Public - YouTube

nukedawg

Dec 7, 2011
DFW
This topic has been discussed about 1000 times on here. Why not do a search vs start it all over again?

Vape openly most places but respectfully is what many of us do.

Well for me, I'm still a new member and just saw this post so I decided to respond.

I as well try to be respectful of others since many non vapers may not understand what it is I am doing. I do not vape in public places unless maybe it is a restaurant and I have asked permission. Just yesterday, I was in a small nationwide place known well for their waffles....Sometimes they have different rules according to location and this one does not allow smoking on weekends but you can smoke inside on weekdays after 2pm. I wasn't sure of the time and asked. But then showed my SB and asked about vaping and she was like 'oh, that, you can smoke that anytime". So I discretely vaped after my my meal.

I do smoke in my car, but do not vape while driving by police (lol don't want to have to explain what I am doing heh) and I will vape in other peoples cars if they say I can, which several of my coworkers have even offered without me asking.

I smoke outside of work with the analog smokers and do sometimes feel odd when people pull in the parking lot, but I always make sure to let out a huge vape cloud so they can see it as they pass. And not sure why but it seems to put me at ease.

Here in the Dallas metroplex, many cities have went to non smoking, even in bars. Several times I have been out to hang with friends for a drink, I always see several people vaping away so I join in as well.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I'm amazed at how many of the responses here talk about "I only smoke where smoking is permitted" or "I smoke in my car but not in front of police".

Vaping isn't smoking.

I vape in public every day. Bars, restaurants, home depot, the grocery store, the theater, whatever. Most of the time I vape openly. In some situations (the theater is a good example) I stealth.

I don't treat it like smoking a cig because I'm not smoking, and it isn't a cig.

Nobody ever complains. The thing that made most people hate cig smoke was the smell. Since vaping doesn't give off that horrible smell, nobody seems to mind.

quiter76

Oct 14, 2013
Springville, TN
I stumbled across this old thread looking for stealth vape "setup"/gear. MVP is a bit large to hide in your hand.... etc.

BTW, curious about the post's from early Oct about not seeing fellow vapors in public...is it still that way? I just got started (quit 2+PAD Analogs) back 3 mo's ago, but PV's and their "dangerous" liquid seem to be popular "News" around here lately, and see other folks vaping. Heck,they even got store in mall and cig outlets carrying the supplies.

I vape outdoors all the time. I use it in one of the bars here (the owners said it was ok) as well as in a few stores. I've never had anyone ask me about it or tell me to stop. I went to a bar down in Denver last week and I saw 5 or 6 different people vaping inside (including 2 bartenders). I got a lot of questions about my MVP

Lorelei

ECF Veteran
I was a polite smoker and now I'm a courteous vaper. When I vape in public, I do so unobtrusively and use an eRoll. My rules of thumb have been, if smoking is allowed, yes. If I'm outside, yes. My house, my car, my rules. If I'm vaping a very fragrant juice, I don't vape near food prep or people eating. I'm not confrontational, so I don't vape in most businesses. I even ask in vape-friendly smoke shops, though I'm aware that's excessive. I rarely see movies in theatres because the general public is rude, but if I vaped, I'd make sure not to obscure anyone's view. I don't think anyone smokes or vapes at my job, so I generally hold off or hit an eRoll once or twice alone in my office. In short, I pause to consider others, leave my non-eRolls at home, and I don't think anyone has a clue I vape. I did spread the word about PVs in a class for a law-related project, stressing that it's not smoke. It went over well. Just not a big population of vapers here, and some stores selling vaping stuff are ignorant and sell knock-offs at bad prices. I'd gladly educate if spotted vaping and asked about it, though.

Last edited:

CMartin

Mar 8, 2014
Vancouver
Are you shy? are you nervous? is it a stigma? should it be alllowed? do you worry what people may or do think? do you think vapers should follow the same guidelines as smokers? how about professional settings?, ie restaurants, the movies, public trans......

I vape in public; I vape on a bus station, I vape while walking down the street, I vape under a tree on a sidewalk, I vape in a park where smoking isn't prohibited. Because I crave a nicotine, therefore, I feel like doing so. Just like cigarette, cigar and pipe smokers are freely smoking their tobacco product in those same places and nobody complains about them.

I do not vape in a waiting room in walk-in clinic, not between aisles in a store, not in a hospital, not in a cinema. I ask in a restaurant if electronic cigarette is tolerated; if it isn't tolerated than I don't vape. Because people _are_ ignorant. Huge majority of people around us don't know what is a white cloud we exhale and all they see is a "smoke" because it totally looks like a smoke.

Once a security guard in a cinema arive to remove me because someone have seen a "smoke", explanations don't work any more, than it's too late. And if it happens in a waiting room filled with ignorant people, all I say people tend to interpret as 'if' and 'but'. I'll rather avoid such situations and a bunch of ignorant people who angrily stare at me. It's just not worth a risk and my time explaining.

Yes, I am CASSA member and a donator. Bans on e-cigarettes and related products started to happen in 2009 before anyone's complaints. Money rules the world, and only medias can change people's mind, and bans if they'll happen will happen regardless of what we all together, which is still an insignificant number of vapers, do or don't do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread