Vaping in the hotel room. Lesson learned

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonK94Z

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Olathe, KS, USA
I learned a valuable lesson this morning in my holiday inn hotel room. vaping will set off the smoke detector and have the front desk clerk at your door. Never had a problem before until this room. Not sure why it set it off, but it sucks not being able to vape inside.
So be careful where you vape. It might set off the smoke detector, and its loud too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I learned a valuable lesson this morning in my holiday inn hotel room. Vaping will set off the smoke detector and have the front desk clerk at your door. Never had a problem before until this room. Not sure why it set it off, but it sucks not being able to vape inside.
So be careful where you vape. It might set off the smoke detector, and its loud too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You must've been letting out a whole lot of vapor to make that room so cloudy around where the smoke alarm was to set it off. I'm not by any means an expert on this but I had a situation in my basement where I densely clouded up the area of the detector to the extreme and it set it off. Maybe certain alarms are different. I do know that I would not vape anything other than a mtl, less vapor setup in this kind of situation.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I learned a valuable lesson this morning in my holiday inn hotel room. Vaping will set off the smoke detector and have the front desk clerk at your door. Never had a problem before until this room. Not sure why it set it off, but it sucks not being able to vape inside.

Some smoke detectors react to vapor, some don't.

Try some stealth tactics next time. Hold the vapor in your lungs for a few extra seconds and then exhale under your shirt. Use low VG juice. Add a bit of distilled water if you prefer high VG. I've found I can be pretty much vapor free doing this :thumb:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Did you put the complementary shower cap over the smoke detector?

If you get caught, that could be a felony (tampering with fire detection equipment) in some states. Do so at your own risk. Better to just follow the rules of the hotel.

Aus11

Verified Member
Jun 16, 2017
Hollywood, FL
My last time in a hotel the entire hotels fire alarms went through a major breakdown at 3 in the morning. I had a mental breakdown the likes of which have not been seen in a long time. I woke up thinking: "oh ok this is how I die, fun." Getting ripped out of a dead sleep is not fun.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    My last time in a hotel the entire hotels fire alarms went through a major breakdown at 3 in the morning. I had a mental breakdown the likes of which have not been seen in a long time. I woke up thinking: "oh ok this is how I die, fun." Getting ripped out of a dead sleep is not fun.

yeah that would be freaky

Tonee N

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    All of my smoke detectors just went off! On top of that they are "linked" so you have to narrow down the "suspect". My ears are still numb from finding out which 1 out of 6 it was.
    I'm suing who started this thread for mental anguish, decreased sex life, and global warming.[emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Tonee N

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    If you get caught, that could be a felony (tampering with fire detection equipment) in some states. Do so at your own risk. Better to just follow the rules of the hotel.
    I have HAD to stay in some less than favorable motels(and I use that term loosely) I was lucky if they had a smoke detector, doubtful since the bugs moved so fast that the friction would have set them off! Retired1 is correct, especially if onboard a commercial aircraft. I do not promote doing any such thing, just asked if you had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    A lot of the smoke alarms in commercial spaces like hotels are now 2 detectors, the regular ionization and photoelectric. Photoelectric is easy to set off with a vapor cloud. Depending where they mounted it you could set it off with a steam shower if you left the door open. MTL stealth is pretty much the way to go, that or vape in the bathroom and blow the vapor behind the shower curtain. Hypothetically.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    A lot of the smoke alarms in commercial spaces like hotels are now 2 detectors, the regular ionization and photoelectric. Photoelectric is easy to set off with a vapor cloud. Depending where they mounted it you could set it off with a steam shower if you left the door open. MTL stealth is pretty much the way to go, that or vape in the bathroom and blow the vapor behind the shower curtain. Hypothetically.

I work in a hotel and every fire alarm since I've been there was caused by long showers with the bathroom door open, apart from a couple of nitwits who left the iron on the ironing board. Smoking of either variety doesn't do it. Or vaping as far as I know.

We charge $250 for deodorizing rooms from smoking. But rooms cost more than that. Pissing off a potential paying customer who goes somewhere else next time doesn't make much sense.

In any case we can't do it unless we find actual cigarettes in the room, or butts lying around. The smell isn't enough. Even empty cig packets aren't enough. Normally we just put an ozone machine in the room for a couple of hours. Those things are pretty effective.

If I was vaping in a hotel I would turn the shower on at high temp for a while and get some steam going. And make sure not to leave vaping gear lying around. Seems like a lot of bother though, I just take a walk outside.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Just get a Smoking room, if they have one.
    In lots of hotels, you can get a hefty charge added to your bill for setting off a smoke detector.
    I just couldn't stay in a smoking room, no way. I would rather not vape, then smell that stale tobacco, that would literally make me sick, it's amazing how that can happen to someone who smoked before

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I just couldn't stay in a smoking room, no way. I would rather not vape, then smell that stale tobacco, that would literally make me sick, it's amazing how that can happen to someone who smoked before

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yeah I know. I feel pretty bad about the hundreds or thousands of people I did that to when I was smoking. And I just blew them off as whiners. Now I get it.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    Yep....I stay in hotels pretty much 65-70% of the time this time of year. Never set off an alarm and haven't adjusted how I vape. I'm not a cloud chaser, by any means, but I'm not a tootie puffer either.
    I've had to sit in some smoking rooms to go over plans and the occasional meeting. There's no way I could stay in one. Just rank. Smokers don't bother me....but those rooms are pretty bad.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread