Vaping Newbie: vape pen got really hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinktink68

Jul 25, 2018
i have been using a eleaf ijust2 nexgen vape pen (my first vape) the last few month and have not smoked in 3 months! I’m a newbie so I don’t yet understand the lingo and terminology.

Yesterday I took a few drags, turned off the device and put it in my bag, only to realize 20 minutes later that this thing was insanely hot. I burned my fingers! I have no idea what happened. I took it out of my bag and let it cool naturally and it seems fine now, but I’m paranoid.

I am terrified to use the pen, but at the same time I’m nicking out. Has this happened to you?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Congrats on not smoking for three months; that's fantastic.

I'm not familiar with your device, but no device should get hot enough to burn you. Sounds like it's time for a new one, and a backup. You should always have at least one backup. I've been off cigs for 4-1/2 years and I don't go further that an hour from home without taking a backup with me.

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
i have been using a Eleaf ijust2 nexgen vape pen (my first vape) the last few month and have not smoked in 3 months! I’m a newbie so I don’t yet understand the lingo and terminology.

Yesterday I took a few drags, turned off the device and put it in my bag, only to realize 20 minutes later that this thing was insanely hot. I burned my fingers! I have no idea what happened. I took it out of my bag and let it cool naturally and it seems fine now, but I’m paranoid.

I am terrified to use the pen, but at the same time I’m nicking out. Has this happened to you?
Like @Rossum I'm not familiar with your device..in fact I refuse to use a mod if it doesn't run on replaceable batteries..
But I agree, it should not get hot.
the same thing happened to me with a Bec Pro once..As with other Smok products
(thinking specifically of the aptly named M-80) the switches sometimes get stuck and the automatic shut-off doesn't always work
I quickly (burned my hand) took out the battery b4 it vented and the thing still works fine
but I never leave it unattended with the battery in it just in case

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Perhaps you didn't really "turn off" the battery device like you thought you did. That can easily happen if you are distracted. Always test the battery after you turn it off to make sure it is truly off.

Continuous pressure on the fire button can lead to over-discharge of the battery, a dangerous situation that could lead to the battery venting hot gas or even exploding in thermal runaway. Consider yourself "lucky' nothing worse happened to you.

Heat harms the chemistry in batteries. If the battery felt too hot to touch, consider the battery to be toast and discard it at a recycle center like can be found at most major hardware stores. Buy two new batteries.

Last edited:

Pinktink68

Jul 25, 2018
Perhaps you didn't really "turn off" the battery device like you thought you did. That can easily happen if you are distracted. Always test the battery after you turn it off to make sure it is truly off.

Continuous pressure on the fire button can lead to over-discharge of the battery, a dangerous situation that could lead to the battery venting hot gas or even exploding in thermal runaway. Consider yourself "lucky' nothing worse happened to you.

Heat harms the chemistry in batteries. If the battery felt hot enough to burn you, consider the battery to be toast and discard it at a recycle center like can be found at most major hardware stores. Buy two new batteries.

I think this is what might have happened.

It was really really scary! The thing is, this is a vape pen with a built in battery and unfortunately, if i throw the battery away, i need to throw the entire device away. I liked the vape pen style because it's small and discreet and my (limited) understanding is vapes with removable batteries are typically quite bulky.

That said, I should clarify, the battery chamber (is that the term you use?), was just warm to the touch but the juice chamber (?) and mouth piece were scorching hot. Likely because the button may have been held down.

I've been using my vape sparingly the last day or so and the juice chamber does become warm (not hot) now right after i've used it-- but I'm paranoid. I keep wanting to check in on my vape every couple minutes to make sure it's not going to explode.

Would i still need to discard my unit? I'd hate to do so, because the damn thing was $80.00. Then again, maybe i should err on the side of caution?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
That said, I should clarify, the battery chamber (is that the term you use?), was just warm to the touch but the juice chamber (?) and mouth piece were scorching hot. Likely because the button may have been held down.

Would i still need to discard my unit? I'd hate to do so, because the damn thing was $80.00. Then again, maybe i should err on the side of caution?
It's normal for the tank or juice attachment to get very warm or even hot to touch while chain vaping, or if the fire button is used continuously. After all, the tank has the heating element within it and the heat produced can be transferred to the mouthpiece.

A battery may also get slightly warm to touch if used frequently or continuously, but should never be allowed to get HOT. Heat is destructive to a battery, possibly to the point where the battery may be dangerous and should no longer be used. You can't tell by visually "inspecting" the battery. The damage, if any, would be internal.

Everyone must decide what they consider to be safe/unsafe. Knowing how much damage an abused battery can do, I'd err on the side of caution and replace the device. A new mod will be a lot cheaper than medical expenses and a lot less painful.

upload_2017-12-19_16-22-46-jpeg.706937
full
upload_2017-12-19_16-22-2-jpeg.706933

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Iirc, that’s a non-adjustable internal battery. If the only thing that got super hot was the tank, you should be able to put a new coil in it, and hopefully nothing else melted. If the mod part only got a bit warm it should be okay. But do be careful with it just in case. Keep an eye on it, and double check that it’s off when you need it off.

And I’d suggest an upgrade as soon as possible. Nothing wrong with decent internal batteries, I’ve used them for almost five years. But I won’t use ones that are not vw.

Maybe one of the Isticks or Picos would work for you. Another tip, they are always going on sale online.

Oh, and congrats on quitting!

Pinktink68

Jul 25, 2018
And I’d suggest an upgrade as soon as possible. Nothing wrong with decent internal batteries, I’ve used them for almost five years. But I won’t use ones that are not vw.

Oh, and congrats on quitting!

What does vw mean?

I think after those pictures I'm just going to get a new stick. I'll look into the istick and Picos!

If I remove the juice tank and coil from the battery, would it be okay to store like that without an impending explosion? It might be a while before I can get myself to a recycling depot, unfortunately.

thanks!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What does vw mean?

I think after those pictures I'm just going to get a new stick. I'll look into the istick and Picos!

If I remove the juice tank and coil from the battery, would it be okay to store like that without an impending explosion? It might be a while before I can get myself to a recycling depot, unfortunately.
VW means variable wattage. You can adjust the power output from the battery to the heating coil, and thereby adjust your vaping experience "on the fly". Your device is "fixed voltage", meaning it has only one output setting and can't be adjusted.

QQ_20171221190020.png

If your oven or stove top burner had only one fixed heat or temperature setting, you'd probably become frustrated pretty quickly preparing your food. Your oven and stove top burner have variable power knobs to allow you to adjust the power or temperature to the burners according to what and how you want to cook your food.

Most mods and many of the eGo battery devices have either variable voltage or variable wattage control buttons. (Basically they are one and the same thing.) This is a feature that allows you to adjust the battery current to the heating coils in your juice delivery device. In a nutshell, it allows you to adjust your vaping experience "on the fly".

For example, early in the day I may want a "cooler" or weaker vaping experience so I use a lower power setting. Later in the day I may want a "warmer" or stronger vaping experience. By pressing the "+" or "Up" button I can increase the power, or by pressing the "-" or "Down" button I can decrease the power. This is a highly desirable feature.

Some mods have a "Mode" button to switch from Wattage Mode (power) to Temperature Control (TC) Mode. I won't go into what the difference in mode means. I'll just say that beginners should start out in Wattage/Power Mode. Once you have mastered that mode, you can learn how to use the more advanced Temp Control Mode later on should you wish to. Temp Control can only be used with specific wire coil types, so if unsure about your coils use wattage mode.

The USB port is used for up loading optional firmware updates from your computer. It is also used to charge the battery in internal battery mods.

The Fire Button is used to turn the device on or off (usually 5 rapid clicks). It is also used to fire the coil when you wish to vape.

The Display Screen will show your current power setting (watts or voltage). It may also tell you the resistance of your tank's coil in "ohms". It may indicate your battery's voltage level either in volts or a diagram of a battery with the charge level displayed. It may also warn you of any errors the electronics detect, such as "atomizer too low' or "atomizer short".

The 510 Connector is where you attach your tank, or juice delivery device.
_______

I would remove the tank from your pen and probably use it again. Disassemble it and wash in soapy water. I'd replace the coil as it has probably been ruined.

The battery in the device is probably safe to store without further mishap until it can be recycled, as long as it has been "turned off".

Last edited:

Pinktink68

Jul 25, 2018
VW means variable wattage. You can adjust the power output from the battery to the heating coil, and thereby adjust your vaping experience "on the fly". Your device is "fixed voltage", meaning it has only one output setting and can't be adjusted.

I would remove the tank and probably use it again. Disassemble it and wash in soapy watter. I'd replace the coil as it has probably been ruined.

The battery in the device is probably safe to store without further mishap until it can be recycled, as long as it has been "turned off".

Thank you to everyone for all your help and advice! If you have suggestions on a smaller vape model/ stick, let me know! :)

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I'd go with replaceable batteries. Only a tiny hassle recharging then, nothing you can't handle. If they were to get hot on you, you can quickly pop them out before anything bad happens. But with a regulated box mod, this isn't likely to happen. Just be careful putting it in a purse or pocket, make sure the buttons are locked or turned off. I rarely put my mod in my pocket. One time I did, the fire button got depressed, and the rdta I was using got hot enough to burn a blister on my leg before I could get it back out. A friend of mine puts everything in his pockets, including his mod. The wattage button got pressed and jacked up to over 200. He didn't realize it until he vaped it. Got a really nasty surprise. Had to show him how to lock it.

Pinktink68

Jul 25, 2018
One time I did, the fire button got depressed, and the rdta I was using got hot enough to burn a blister on my leg before I could get it back out.

Yikes! Though I'm pretty sure that happened to me. I was in the metro and it was in the bottom of my bag and I felt my knee get really hot-- initially i didn't think anything of it because it's hot as hell here and i was wearing dress pants to work. but then i went into my bag to grab something and felt the vape tank and mouth piece was burning hot--i got a couple small blisters on my thumb and forefinger.

And there i was on a crowded metro with this steaming hot metal device--you have to know what it must have looked like! I was discreetly trying to air out the device to cool it down but i was terrified it was going to blow up on me. LOL.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have a few internal batteries and it's not that I dislike them. .I don't. But they do have an inherent built in "shelf life" that external battery mods do not. Etc.

I also really enjoy swapping out batteries right away rather than waiting for a USB charge an even if a mod is passthrough capable I am no fan of it. It's awkward to vape (often) and it puts additional strain on the internal battery (again, in my opinion.)

There are some really nice external batteries to be had, too, although there may be certain arenas where a very long lasting internal battery can kind of shine.

Accidents can and do happen with either, so continue to stay vigilant. Etc.

Anna

Reactions: Vaperer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread