Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Eh, I don't believe it. I've been smoking MJ for 13 years and never experienced anything close to schizophrenia, nor have any of the 100's of people I've met/known. That article doesn't link to the actual study (that I see, anyway), so it's hard to pinpoint much about it. Appreciate you bringing it to our attention!

I would be curious about their methodology so if you or anyone else ever happens across it, I'd love to see it.

(ETA: I may be schizo - who knows - never take a schizo sloth at its word)

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
Eh, I don't believe it. I've been smoking MJ for 13 years and never experienced anything close to schizophrenia, nor have any of the 100's of people I've met/known. That article doesn't link to the actual study (that I see, anyway), so it's hard to pinpoint much about it. Appreciate you bringing it to our attention!

I would be curious about their methodology so if you or anyone else ever happens across it, I'd love to see it.

(ETA: I may be schizo - who knows - never take a schizo sloth at its word)

You are not even half way to my 40 years of smoking weed but smoking is not what they are talking about.

Still, if THC has that effect then it would stand to reason that my brain should be totally screwed by now, right??

Seems fine to me :D

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
You are not even half way to my 40 years of smoking weed but smoking is not what they are talking about.

Still, if THC has that effect then it would stand to reason that my brain should be totally screwed by now, right??

Seems fine to me :D
You'd be schizo for sure :D

From the article: "Smoking and vaping are similar in how quickly THC gets to the brain"

I don't see how there would be much difference, personally. Plus, I know people who've been vaping (flower) for many years, and they're fine. The "oil" products shouldn't be different either, I wouldn't think, in terms of THC itself causing any kind of effect like that. Do you think this study was using liquid THC? It doesn't specifically say in the article, but kind of implies it, actually. Some sort of extract/distillate.

I also wonder precisely what they're referring to by "brain activity" - what they're measuring and comparing to schizophrenia.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Sorry, I didn't notice the video when I first read the article. They clearly isolated THC itself in this study.

I mean, it's possible that this is true, I'll give it that. Perhaps the other cannabinoids help to mitigate those effects when smoking/vaping flower or using full-spectrum extracts.

• Agree
Reactions: ceeceeisme

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
Sorry, I didn't notice the video when I first read the article. They clearly isolated THC itself in this study.

I mean, it's possible that this is true, I'll give it that. Perhaps the other cannabinoids help to mitigate those effects when smoking/vaping flower or using full-spectrum extracts.

Who knows. Obviously smoking weed for decades is not unduly harmful to the brain. I know many cannabis users (decades long) and some of them are among the most intelligent people I know and none display any symptoms of schizophrenia.

• Agree
Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Northstar6

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2019
Marijuana can have both positive and negative effects. For most people, the good vastly outweighs the bad. In most cases I think it's much safer than alcohol.

However with chronic use there are risks with anything of this nature. Look at something like Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome - it effects a a very small percentage of long term users, but it's a pretty miserable condition. There will always be that small number of people who expirience some negative side effects.

• Agree
Reactions: Sloth Tonight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread