Vaping while in the hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stringplucker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
Tarentum, PA, USA
I've been in the hospital since Tuesday, and have been using my MVP V2.0 with PT without issue. Even the Resporitary Therapist knows, and has asked questions about the device, the juice, and how it works. She said that her husband is interested in it to help quit smoking, and I sent her to my local shop, which is on her way home.

The only voice of question came from a nurse, who was told that it wasn't against the rules, and was generally viewed in the same light as the nicotine patch.

Has anyone else had an experience similar to mine.

BTW, I'm here til at least tomorrow, maybe longer. Only time will tell.

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
I'm in and out of hospitals all the time (concierge RN) and that's where I first saw a vape, a fellow RN pulled out a pretty pink provari as I was jonesing for a ciggie and asking where the "speak easy" had moved to...and an 'ah ha" went off in my head...*lol*

but it's pretty common with healthcare professionals and if anyone has any issue with it your doctor can write a script in the chart and there's not a word they can say about you vaping in your room. :)

Stringplucker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
Tarentum, PA, USA
One nurse did say that starting Jan 1 of next year, all employees will be tested for nicotine, and any use will be banned for employees. If I were an employee, I would want to speak to an attorney about that for the sheer fact that the majority of studies that claim nicotine use is deadly, centers around combustible tobacco use, and NOT vaping.

I just think it's neat that I can vape while in my hospital room.

Mountain_Rain96

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Atlanta Ga.
I had a stroke 4 years ago, so I was in the hospital for quite awhile. I still smoked, then, but, oddly enough, despite having smoked for 29 years up till that point, I didn't miss it that much, I was just happy to be alive, I guess. But if I had been a vaper then, I'm pretty sure I would have been vaping in there.

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Laws on vaping vary and are changing everyday.

In Minnesota as of 07/01/14:

"Starting Tuesday, there’s no more vaping in day care centers, hospitals, clinics and other health care facilities. Ditto for buildings owned or operated by governments ranging from townships all the way up to the state, plus the University of Minnesota and Minnesota State Colleges and Universities systems.

Health organizations didn’t get the broad restrictions they pushed for at the Capitol this spring. Restaurants and bars aren’t included in the ban, as private businesses are left to decide whether they want to do anything on their own to block use of e-cigarettes on their premises."

Restaurants I have visited don't allow vaping.

E-Cig Restrictions, Other New Laws Take Effect In MN Tuesday

Last edited:

joeybear

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Southeast Wisconsin
At the beginning of July I was bitten, twice, by what I found out to be a Brown Recluse spider. I didn't go to the hospital for three days because I was camping. I was in a total of four days because it was so infected (sepsis) and vaped the whole time. My docs didn't care. I'd vape in the hallways and when I'd sneak down to the cafeteria...hospital food sucks :)

Stringplucker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
Tarentum, PA, USA
Hope you're feeling better, String (Plucker, as in, 'guitar'?).
Good thread....very interesting to see that ecigs are accepted more and more (by the health professionals, in particular....a very good thing.)

Plucker as in Scruggs...I play the banjo Scruggs style.

Warpigs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
USA
I had a massive heart attack and was in the critical care unit/regular room for 3 weeks. I had 0 problems vapeing im my room. I was in a single room by myself, and the doctors/nurses didn't mind it at all. In fact my cardiologist said "If it keeps you from smoking cig's I don't see a problem). I told him that my liquid did in fact have nicotine in it. He said it was ok, as he has run into many patients of his that vape instead of smoke now. And sees big changes in lung capacity/heart rate and stuff like that. So I walked around in one of those robes that just HAS to show your .... and vaped my ... off :)

Warpigs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
USA
I find it strange that so many of you are allowed to vape in a hospital. Especially with all the "vaping=smoking" ordinances popping up all over the place.

Probably has something to do with were you live. In central Florida were my hospital is, it's ok. Some other states/cities/towns etc etc may not allow it.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It just goes to show there is a huge difference in perspective and knowledge between law and the medical profession. People who work in medicine know that vaping and secondhand vapor are perfectly safe because they understand that nicotine is relatively harmless. Plus they would give you anything to help you quit smoking, even allowing vaping on hospital grounds if it discourages you from going outside to smoke.

On the other hand, people working in politics, law and public policy don't have the same understanding of medicine, so they fear it as much as the general public does. This is what leads to vaping bans. Generally when you can't vape in a hospital it is because of the laws in that area, not because of the hospital itself.

My favorite astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson remarked once that our politicians don't actually represent the people because they are all lawyers. In order to have true representation of us, we need politicians from other professions. I have no idea if that will ever happen, but it's a nice thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread