Vaping with and ecig plugged into the wall ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Hi all, any vaporizers on the market you can plug into the wall and vape with it without any battery?

It would be great to have one of these on my computer desk with a very long cable. My vaporizer right now has a USB passthrough but it doesn't work without a battery and I really don't like the idea of leaving it plugged into the wall indefinitely with a battery in it.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I would love to be able to forgo batteries and plug my devices into the wall. I will be following this thread with interest.
Yeah, Im hoping some one that uses a passthrough station drops in.

There are schematics online and I could build one but I wouldnt mind just finding a finished and pleasing looking unit ready to go.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
I just started to look into it in the last day or 2 as most of my vaping is done in one spot, at my desk.
This is one thing Ive found but there are others Im trying to find out more about.
Custom Built Mods - VapeStation Power Supply

Nice find! But 110$ for the vape station then another 110$ for the mod, total of 220$. The cable is big and it's underneath the vape mod, meaning when you put it down, my RDA will leak. There has to be a better alternative than this.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
Nice find! But 110$ for the vape station then another 110$ for the mod, total of 220$. The cable is big and it's underneath the vape mod, meaning when you put it down, my RDA will leak. There has to be a better alternative than this.
Yes.
There was a company called Frost Box but I think they have gone, Im not sure. There unit looked quite good but was also spendy.
SteamStation.jpg

Ive only been looking for 2 days and that item comes up in every search. There are some others but it looks like a few of the companies have gone under or just stopped, maybe everyone likes the idea but no one wants to pay for one. Its always going to be more expensive than even an expensive battery powered mod.
None of the bigger Chinese manufacturers seem to make one that I can find.
Plenty of home made versions on the forums and some schematics.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Hi all, any vaporizers on the market you can plug into the wall and vape with it without any battery?

It would be great to have one of these on my computer desk with a very long cable. My vaporizer right now has a USB passthrough but it doesn't work without a battery and I really don't like the idea of leaving it plugged into the wall indefinitely with a battery in it.
The short answer to your question is No. The USB port on a regulated mod is at best 2amp.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
$220 isn't that much really. I have mech mods that cost more than that.

• Agree
Reactions: Rossum

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Its always going to be more expensive than even an expensive battery powered mod.

Guess that what it comes down to. I will stick with 18650 battery then. It's a lot more small than a big PSU somewhere around my desk ahah

How come every solution you found includes a PSU? A plug in the wall can't give enough power or amps to an ecig and you need to make an electric conversion?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Izan

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
Guess that what it comes down to. I will stick with 18650 battery then. It's a lot more small than a big PSU somewhere around my desk ahah

How come every solution you found includes a PSU? A plug in the wall can't give enough power or amps to an ecig and you need to make an electric conversion?
I was thinking of just wicking a toaster, putting a spout on it to suck on, pouring butterscotch all over it and vaping like I was possessed.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.

Unless you have a mod that can use 110v AC, then no. The PSU is used to step down the power to something in a useable range. I've always considered a model train transformer myself. It has more control over output current than a PSU.

Sent from my XT1765 using Tapatalk

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

Mains power is AC.
Mod power is DC.
Having attempted and built something similar about 6 years ago; I used a switching power supply that put out 2V-12V and was rated at about 10amps.

The cable is never long enough to take the device with you. Be it to the kitchen to get a drink or to the printer to get a page. If it is long enough, it is awkward and in the way.
If like me, you use your favorite topper most of the day, you would need two "favorites" and another device for use away from the desk.
I made the body from a flashlight tube and mounted a 510 at one end. Without a mosfet, I had to use a huge, expensive vandal proof switch as the tiny momentary switches would fry rather quickly above 2 amps.

My first attempt I used a hole in the end cap for the wires, that device did not stand up (doh) so V2 had the wires inserted in a hole I drilled in the body.
However, since I used an ALU flashlight body, the weight of the wires hanging from the workbench would topple the unit unless I placed it in a holder. (think heavy coffee mug)

I still have the device on a shelf by the work bench, but it no longer gets any use.

IMO: An internal/removable battery device (pass through enabled) and a simple USB cable that can be quickly disconnected and reconnected offers the best of both worlds. I do not suggest you try to reinvent the wheel.

HTH
I

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Awesome explanation Izan. Makes sense now! I'll just stick with batteries.

I was just thinking about the wall plug because right now my 18650 batteries are almost dead (Samsung INR18650-30Q). Just bought new ones yesterday (Samsung INR18650-25R). The one I have right now , I've only had them for 20 months and already can barely hold a charge. Battery is dead in the morning and I don't think I sleep walk and vape during the night (I hope not lol)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

If you are interested drop them a line. They are just using a standard enclosure, they might be able to retrofit the Aviation Connector on the back instead of the bottom.

The cable is thick for it has be able to handle the current plus any wear and tear through use.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
No. Why?
Because stupid people in America will do stupid stuff then hire an ambulance chasing law firm to sue the manufacturer, then some stupid jury will award said stupid people a stupid amount of money the ambulance chasing lawyers get the bulk of then the whole thing will go round and round like the wheels on a bus.

Just ask McDonalds, or Winnebego, or the fellow in prison in Va who sued himself for $5 million but because he had no income while in jail sued Va to pay the damages he had awared himself when he lost his case against himself....

Google 'stella awards' for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread