Vaping Without Mouthpiece: Is this dangerous to the atomizer or battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhikl

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2009
NE Cowtown, Alberta, Canada
Hello fellow Vapers,

I have a wonky battery. It seems to overheat though it has tempered this naughty inclination in the past few days. It started out overheating the wire element (is this heating element the atomizer or is the whole middle unit the atomizer?) and the wire would continue to glow when I pulled the mouthpiece off for an internal inspection. And the lower end of the atomizer unit could become very hot, very quickly. The LED was extremely and irrationally busy for a few days; even a slight touch would sent it into mad blinking mode. Happily, a free replacement and two backup units are on their way. In the meantime, my second unit slipped from the mouthpiece (empties don’t seem as snug and secure as the pre-filled cartridges that came with my package) and fell to the hard wood floor. Not a good thing as now it does not work, fully charged though it be.

Wanting to get my fix at whim, I found that I could get the deepest and most satisfying drags by removing the mouthpiece and dripping 2-to-3 drops of e-liquid onto the element of the atomizer and then enjoying quite a few healthy draws without replacing the mouthpiece. I stop drawing, so as not to burn out the wire element, when I notice a slight decrease in exhalation. I also have a cotton Qtip at hand to regularly wipe the join between the two pieces should any e-liquid leak into the battery piece. As well, after my five or six draws, I slightly unscrew the two pieces so that no electrical connexion is made should the atomizer take attempt a return of its wayward ways.

But, as this is my only battery until my new units arrive, I don’t want to kill it or damage my atomizer. I am restricting use to this one atomizer so as not to damage two of them if, indeed, damage is occurring.

However, I have discovered that I vastly prefer vaping in this manner, mouthpiecelessly. I feel bareback is the only way to go but, without protection, could I be endangering a battery or atomizer, or, not to be too selfish, myself? Is this the price one has to pay for unadulterated e-vaping pleasure? I do want to play fair with my little partner, damaged though she might be. And, depending upon the whim of CanPost, god knows when her replacement will arrive!

Cheers,
mhikl

Shadowdr

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Nashville Tn.
I see no problem with dripping without a cart. You might want to use an old cart without the filler material. I have a couple that I use this way because the wick is gone, burned up or just wasn't there to begin with. They work poorly at best when using a filled cart, but if you can drip and use an empty cart they are just fine. I have a box mod to a wal-wort 4.5 volt that is the strongest hitter I have. I can only drip as the wick does not work when using a filled cart.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm assuming you have a model with a recessed atomizer, or you wouldn't be able to "tailpipe" as it is known. There is no problem using this thing sans mouthpiece, as long as you don't burn your lips.

I do find it strange that the cartridge (mouthpiece) is not fitting though.

If you really like dripping I would probably suggest that you remove the filler from the cartridge, take off the little endpiece at the bottom of the mouthpiece, and maybe even bore out any remaining holes so you get a really clear draw. But of course, your cartridge (mouthpiece) has to fit first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread