Vaping would save Medicaid billions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
«As shown in this study, the potential savings to Medicaid significantly exceeds the state revenue raised from the cigarette excise tax and tobacco settlement payments by 87%. As such, the rational policy decision is to adopt a non-interventionist stance toward the evolution and adoption of the e-cig until hard evidence proves otherwise. While cigarette tax collections will fall as a result, Medicaid spending will fall even faster. This is a win-win for policymakers and taxpayers.»

E-Cigarettes Poised to Save Medicaid Billions > Publications > State Budget Solutions

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
«As shown in this study, the potential savings to Medicaid significantly exceeds the state revenue raised from the cigarette excise tax and tobacco settlement payments by 87%. As such, the rational policy decision is to adopt a non-interventionist stance toward the evolution and adoption of the e-cig until hard evidence proves otherwise. While cigarette tax collections will fall as a result, Medicaid spending will fall even faster. This is a win-win for policymakers and taxpayers.»

E-Cigarettes Poised to Save Medicaid Billions > Publications > State Budget Solutions

Except that it's all a pile of lies, based on falsely blaming smoking for diseases that are really caused by infection. The biggest lie is heart disease, which is really caused by cytomegalovirus, so the savings would really be zilch.

redddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Rochester, NY
Laws are based on the "bird in the hand" principle. Taxes are the surest, easiest way for governments to raise cash. They have a shortfall somewhere? Find a vice and tax it more. Not enough? Raise all taxes a bit. These Medicaid estimates are just that. Estimates.

Here's the backroom discussion:

OK, Mr. Math Kid Right Out Of College, and what if your numbers are wrong? What if we lay off the e-cig tax and only see a 70% decrease in Medicaid expenses? We're screwed! How about we tax it to the brink AND save the money on Medicaid?

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Yep, and people living longer will put extra burdens on health care more or less wiping out any savings. The smart policy makers would know this - hence the tax on ecigarettes to make up the shortfall.

The whole purpose of a health insurance system is that the costs are equally spread to all participants.

If everyone has to pay his own real cost + insurer's markup, then it's not an insurance system - it's a fraud designed to add a markup to the individual health costs.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
there would be significant savings whether or not smoking is
responsible for everything they claim or not. health care claims
have surely been exaggerated but they are not without any merit.
add in the productivity gains of decreased colds and flu and
a healthier all around life style before one gets old with the additional
productivity into older age your talking real money.
smoking may not be the direct cause of so many illnesses its
said to have caused but,its certainly a major aggravating factor
in the development of those illnesses.
:2c:
regards
mike

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Except that it's all a pile of lies, based on falsely blaming smoking for diseases that are really caused by infection. The biggest lie is heart disease, which is really caused by cytomegalovirus, so the savings would really be zilch.

I smoked for 30+ years. I know for a fact that my "wind" increased dramatically and I can do much more stuff now without breaking into a sweat since I switched to vaping 3 months ago. Whether smoking causes all the problems it is said to cause or not vaping appears to me to be MUCH less harmful to me.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
The Swedish healthcare system saw a 45% reduction in costs from smoking related illnesses (respiratory) within the first 5 years of encouraging the adoption of snus. That's significant because Medicaid is most states largest expense. These are figures and explainations they can use.

You mean they hallucinated the savings by using a SAMMEC-type computer program.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Umm, last time I checked I don't think they have any interest in saving money, they're mostly interested in how they can get more to spend.

I get tired of the generalized hate.
Why do you waste time commenting if you feel there's no hope?
Some of us are trying to figure out what we can say or do and that's no help.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
What do you mean?

Meaning that rather than actually analyzing data, they PRESUMED that less smoking would reduce illnesses in the first place. They used relative risks from some other source, e.g. the American Cancer Society's CPS study, and then calculated how many illnesses were supposedly prevented. Then they multiply illnesses times average costs of illness (from yet another source). They get away with this all the time, thanks to the media. That way they can manufacture propaganda supposedly showing how successful they are, even if there has been no effect whatsoever.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
If they already got away with those figures and you can't oppose them, then just use them for your own advantage. Claim that e cig would have even more of the same benefits, since it's easier to switch to e cig than quit. Which means that you can attract more people into this "savings" program than by peddling cold turkey.

P.S. However, once again, you have to keep in mind that the purpose of healthcare is not "savings".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread