Vapocalypse & Those Who've Never DIY'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glinda

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2014
United States
No doubt that Vapocalypse is more threatening to newbies and those of us who've settled in comfortably with their old-school vape apparatus. So far I've read nothing concise that helps those of us who fall into this category (newbies & settlers- ha!) move forward confidently into what appears to be the next wild west where vaping is concerned.

I quit smoking and started vaping with a Kanger MT3 just before Aspire's Nautilus & Nautilus mini were introduced. Although fancier tanks have come out since then, I have been happy sticking with my Nautilus & Nautilus Mini, and using VV batteries such as evods and Spinners because they're just so darn easy. Now that the FDA is threatening to take away my simple pleasures, I and many others are in a quandary- we have to step up our game. To that end-

Tanks:
I'm going to stick with my Nautilus tanks but will be definitely be buying back ups. I don't know how many yet, and I think that's going to be determined by how much $ I have to spend on the following items over the next few months.

Coils:
No matter what tank we're using, I think it's pretty clear that it's time to learn to build or rebuild our coils. There are enough tutorials on Youtube that I think it won't be so terribly hard, but if you could suggest a DIY "starter kit"/ list of quality components, organic cotton sources, etc., we're all ears. If you have a favorite tutorial for this, please share it.

Batteries:
Oi. This is intimidating. Keeping it as simple and safe as possible is what I and my friends are after. Something that we can slide a battery into, then click a button on and off sounds ideal. Bells and whistles don't matter unless they're there for safety reasons. I'm concerned that the more bells and whistles there are, the more I'll have to tinker with it in the future, and that's just not for me. In a nutshell, a variety of simple to use & safe battery housing suggestions are desperately needed.

DIY e-liquid:
Currently I'm vaping 03 or 06mg, 100% VG, and prefer natural or organic flavoring. What do I look for when I shop for liquid nicotine? I vape 2.5- 5ml daily and I plan to live for at least another 50 years so what's a realistic amount to buy? I know that there are links to tutorials and such here at the forum, so I guess my main concern is about obtaining good quality nicotine. Of course since it appears that a vapocalypse is soon to be upon us, any links that you think would help accelerate us to the next level would be very appreciated.

Thanks for your kind consideration- I and many others look forward to your response.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Reading as much as possible and learning is the best thing that you can do right now. Learn about safety above all else.

The type of wire/ cotton that you will want to use will come down to personal preference. Once you read and learn, you will have a good idea of what you may want to use. Everyone has their favorites.

To calculate how much nicotine you will need this is how you do it.

take the # of mls you vape each day and multiply by the strength ( mgs) of liquid that you use. Once you have that total, multiply by 365. Now you know how many mgs of nicotine you need for each year.

Next, figure out what strength of nicotine that you want to buy. Most people buy it by the liter ( 1000 mls) multiply the strength that you are buying by 1000 ( mls) that will give you the mgs in each liter of nicotine.

Last, use the total number of nicotine in each liter and divide it by the number of mgs that you use each year. That will tell you how long 1 liter will last you.

Here is an example using the numbers that you provided.

You vape 5 mls of 6 mg each day 5 mls x 6 mg = 30 mgs
30 mgs x 365 ( days in 1 year) = 10,950 mg

Lets just say that you want to buy liters ( 1000ml) of 100
mg nicotine
1000 ml x 100 mg =100,000 mg in each liter bottle

take the 100,000 mg in each liter divided by the 10,950 mg that you use = 9.13

So, 1 liter of 100 mg nicotine would last you about 9 years.

My advice would be to read the DIY subforum (especially the stickies) and find some recipes that look appealing to you. Create a list of flavors that you may want to buy from those recipes.

You will find a wealth of information reading this members blog. Baditude's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

I hope that this helped and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread