Vapor residue on walls, carpet etc. Need help/advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scote

Mar 9, 2011
uk
Telling the landlord you have an air cleaner is like admitting that there is an issue with vaping that you are trying to solve.
take a different tact, tell him you have the air cleaner because of general pollution and you'd rather breathe cleaner air.
do the tissue test or convince him that vaping produces no residue, say you switched to vaping due to health reasons too.
As a result his property will be cleaner than if he rented it to a non-smoking non-vaping person without an air cleaner.

That newport9000 air cleaner that somone else posted about is a mitsuibishi unit rebranded and sold by a multitude of different companies, I have one and it works great

exnihilo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Stop trying to change his mind everyone, he has his mind made up and he is looking for input on what filters and what-not have worked for others. He isn't asking for justification of vaping, just information on filtering products that have worked. He also doesn't have a choice because he is like many of us and bound to limitations set by landlords and misinformed people. He is just trying to find the proper information to present to his landlord so that he may enjoy vaping without being kicked out of his dwelling.

A-freaking-men.

cg

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
I've found that on single-glazed windows vape DOES leave a residue over time. It is easily removed by cleaning the windows. I have not found vapour adhering to anything other than these windows, however.

water vapor from the exhaled e-cig vapor forms a layer of condensation on windows. a very small amount will be flavoring / coloring.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Hey mate,

Not sure anyway to get where you want to be. I share in your frustration. I use a 25/75 pg/vg homemade mix. My car windshield always has a film of residue on it. It isn't the black mess that my smokes left but you can still see and feel the film of pg/vg on it. Also sometimes after chain vaping my pv will get slightly "slimey" from the residue.

I have chosen not to vape in my house for that same reason of the residue. I am used to going outside so it doesn't bother me. The best I have found is to blow into a tissue or towel or something like my t shirt.

Good luck in your quest. I will be interested if you find something.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
I think this is a simple but very effective way to show your landlord the difference. Let him know ahead that if the answer is no you still plan to keep your word. He sounds reasonable but just uninformed.
A simple demonstration for your landlord:

You will need 1 lit cigarette
1 working PV
2 tissues

1st test: take a puff off the cigarette, place the tissue against your lips, blow the SMOKE through the tissue, put out cigarette, set that tissue aside.
2nd test: take a puff off the ecig, place tissue against your lips, blow the VAPOR through the tissue, set PV aside.

Compare both tissues.

Do this in front of the landlord. See his reaction.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
water vapor from the exhaled e-cig vapor forms a layer of condensation on windows. a very small amount will be flavoring / coloring.

Well - you can come and clean my windows then! :)

Seriously, I vape a high vg mix and it does leave a rather stubborn residue on single glazed windows.

Sham66

Sep 21, 2013
USA
Where did your landlord get the idea that there will be vapor residue/build up in the apartment?

If you fry some bacon or even cook a sizzling hamburger, there is going to be residue, the steam rises, and clings to walls, etc.

If anyone in a home uses hairspray, spray deordorant, etc. that will also leave residue.

the reason cigarettes left residue is because, like a woodstove, there is particulate released thru burning like soot, carbon, and in case of cigs, tar. None of this exists with vaping.

I think you need to do more research BEFORE you spend more $$ on filters, etc. and I do not think you should have promised your landlord about vaping indoors until you knew for sure. I have vaped for over a year and there is no residue in my house that I have seen.

It just sounds like you will not be able to relax and vape inside your own apartment.....without positioning yourself in front of an air purifier? If that is your plan, it just sounds very unrealistic to me.

Obviously you are a very polite person, but this sounds a little too polite.

Yeah, I agree.
I doubt using a electronic cigarette could leave behind any residue.
Cooking in your home is more likely to leave residue than vaping.

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
Yeah I don't know why this thread has caused such a heated debate, you just asked a simple question, what will work best to prevent any vapor buildup from forming in your apartment. Honestly if I had to take a guess, an air filter will work to some extent, but I think a dehumidifier would work even better. Then all the residue would collect in the little water bin, and could easily be disposed of. Just have to turn that thing on when you want to vape. I could be wrong here but that's the assumption or logical guess I would make. Good luck

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I've seen people speak of residue build up but I haven't seen it. I don't drive much so I probably wouldn't see it in my truck like my roommate can coat his windows with cigarette smoke in no time, but I am always on a computer and I don't see it on my screens like I would with smoke.
In fact I cleaned my computer screen when I quit. Before if I touched my screen I'd see a tar smear. I just licked my finger and swiped it across my screen and there's nothing.

Your best method is to ignore it and don't tell him you vape. By all rights I have about a gallon of e-liquid spread through my house (and I don't clean), mostly at 2 or 3 places. It is not like I have sprayed a gallon of e-liquid in those places.
Have you ever heard of a residue build up after someone uses a Halloween fog machine?

If you agreed to do something and already admitted to vaping, any air filter would work because there's not a build up that would require a special filter to stop.

If you're worried about your deposit, in my experience, having a landlord worried about vapor residue, that deposit is already gone, he will find a reason to keep it.

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
Use your air-filter, relax and vape at will.

I understand wanting to live life on the up and up with no lying or deceptions. But...

Your contract with the landlord is specifically for the terms and conditions for rental payment and reasonable use of their property. Certain stipulations such as no smoking, pets, criminal activity are perfectly acceptable and reasonable. Beyond that... what you do in your place of residence is none of their darn business.

Far too many landlords overstep the legal boundaries of privacy and violate the legal terms of a lease/rental agreement. Certain amounts of residue on the hard surfaces in a residence is 100% normal wear and tear... be it from cooking, cleaning, bathing, etc... As long as vaping is legal where you live... I would advise you do as you please and have no further discussions with the landlord unless they specifically approach the subject.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I had to rent an apartment in South Louisiana from 2008-2009. My landlord was a smoker who forbid smoking inside his properties, the loss of the deposit was the penalty. But he had no problem with me frying burgers, caramelizing onions or sauteing mushrooms in garlic and red wine.

When I left that employer for a new job, he transferred the lease to my replacement, who was also a smoker and an even more aggressive cook.

I have no idea what happened after that.

I think the OP is on the right track. He's trying to comply with the rules while seeking a means of getting what sounds like a reasonable landlord to change the rules. Keep at it!

jhelliwell

Fog master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sheffielld, UK
So... about the residue thing. I had assumed no residue but it seems I was wrong. I am thinking of what might happen in the lungs regarding this residue issue, from a health perspective. I would hope the lungs would be able to move the residue out without any complications? I certainly can have a heavy evening of chain vaping and feel heavy chested the next day, but that passes after a period of abstinence. Need I worry? That's assuming it's not an unknown

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
So... about the residue thing. I had assumed no residue but it seems I was wrong. I am thinking of what might happen in the lungs regarding this residue issue, from a health perspective. I would hope the lungs would be able to move the residue out without any complications? I certainly can have a heavy evening of chain vaping and feel heavy chested the next day, but that passes after a period of abstinence. Need I worry? That's assuming it's not an unknown

If your lungs can remove the tar and junk from cigarettes over time it seems logical that they could remove vaping residue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread