Vapor Storm Subverter 200W TC Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the Subverter 200W TC mod by Vapor storm. The Subverter 200W TC mod was supplied for the purpose of this review by Alice from Vapor Storm.

Subverter - Vapor Storm

Introduction

I have not received any Vapor Storm products for review for a while, a couple of weeks ago i received 2 devices from them so this is the review for the first device i looked at the Subverter. The Subverter is a 200w device that takes dual 18650's and has mould injected removable panels. It has one of the simplest menus for a device that boasts both full TC suite and curves feature, so lets give it a look.

In the Box

Contents:

1*Subverter Box Mod (batteries are not inclueded)
1*USB Cable
1*User Manual
1*Warning Card
1*Warranty Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Subverter comes in simple cardboard box packaging and on opening i was met by a device with removable mould injected side panels with geometric cutouts. I received the Red version, which has Red panels and Black main body, it's also available in Orange which has Orange panels and Yellow body and Green which has Green panels and Cyan body. The device isn't the most ergonomic not helped by the cutouts on the panels but is saved to a degree by a very nice large, curved Red fire button that feels very nice. The front of the device has the already mentioned fire button at the top, towards the bottom we have the two Red navigational buttons followed by the micro USB port, centrally we have a coloured screen. The spine of the device has "STORM" in large lettering cut out, the base of the device is featureless. The top of the Subverter has an air fed 510 plate towards one side with a spring loaded, Stainless Steel 510. Yes the device is plastic (and lightweight) but the build quality is excellent and the device feels durable with a very nice rubberised finish.

Subverter Specs and Features:

Weight 81g (2.86oz)
Depth 55mm (2.17 inch)
Height 90mm (3.54 inch)
Width 27mm (1.06 inch)
Wattage range: 5~200W;
Voltage range: 0.5~8.0V;
Resistance range: 0.05~3ohm (VW), 0.05~1ohm (TC);
Powered by 2 x 18650 batteries (not included);
Coil supporting: Kanthal, Ni200, Ti, SS;
Temperature range: 100~300'C / 200~600'F;
Fast charging: DC 5V / 1.5A;
0.96-inch color display;
Micro-USB charging port;
ABS and stainless steel construction;
510 threading connection
Colours: Red, Green, Orange

Fitting Your Batteries

Both side panels are removable however one is purely cosmetic and underneath is solid plastic with the same rubberised coating that covers the main body of the device, maybe the fact this panel is removable rather than fixed is a clue that there could be different design panels available soon so you can change the look of the mod. The other panel once removed reveals the battery compartment which is neat and tidy and holds dual 18650 batteries, there is a battery ribbon which is needed as the batteries sit deep inside the compartment so trying to remove without the ribbon would be a nightmare. The orientation is marked Black on Black which for those that often read my reviews will know that really bugs me. Both panels fit into place very securely indeed and there is no movement whatsoever, this is achieved by both the use of strong magnets and the fact the device is made so well and the fit itself is perfect.

The Display

The device comes automatically on when the batteries are fitted then it's the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn the device off and on. I can't emphasise enough just how bright and vibrant the screen is, cameras just don't pick it up so when you see pics of the display it comes as quite a pleasant shock when you see the screen for real. The wattage or temperature (when in temp control) is in large font and is brightly coloured which changes colour depending on wattage or temperature, in wattage it's Green up to 40W, Yellow between 40W and 80W, Orange between 80W and 120W, Purple between 120W and 160W and finally Red between 160W and 200W, when you fire the wattage or temp turns red during your vape. the battery status bars are in bright green the rest of the display is in white small font, although the font is small the display is that bright and sharp there is no issues with reading all the information. Most of the left of the screen is taken up by the already mentioned wattage (or temp) readout, to the right at the top we have seconds vaped, under this is the voltage, then below voltage is the resistance. The bottom of the display has the voltage readout for each battery to the left and the already mentioned battery status bars to the right.

The Menu

The Menu is a very simple menu all on one level yet it covers temp control and curves, to enter the menu is 3 clicks of the fire button. When you enter the menu you are met by a screen which again uses colour simply but to great effect, you get 4 options, power, Curves, TC and exit. Power is wattage mode of course, choosing curves gives you 5 memory slots you can use to custom set power curves. Finally choosing TC gives the usual options of Ti, Ni, SS, TCR and exit, and apart from just one combination key press feature that's it, a very simple easy to use device. The key press combination is left and fire together which locks the navigational keys but the device will still fire.

My Experience Using the Subverter

I only use devices in power mode so i have no idea how a device performs with temp control, i also do not have the equipment to access data so simply review a device as a personal appearance. Pretty much all devices fire quick these days but it was so noticeable how quick this hits set wattage it really is in a blink of an eye, very impressive. The fire button is large and curved, very clicky and very responsive, it's one of the nicest fire buttons i have used and also worth mentioning likewise the navigational buttons are equally impressive with a nice gap between them. Although i don't vape with super low resistances the Subverter will fire down to 0.05 not just in TC mode but also in power mode. I tried a number of tanks on the Subverter (it will accommodate up to 26mm tanks without overhang) at all sorts of wattage's and compared the experience to trying the same tanks at the same wattage on one of my DNA devices and i really couldn't tell the difference, this has a good chip certainly for power mode. As ever i tried the device with the curves feature as this is a feature i love using and it works great with the Subverter. The device isn't the most ergonomic though and after a while holding it you become very aware of the cutouts in the side panels, although personally i like the look of the panels i don't like being able to see the batteries through them so hopefully solid panels will become available. Battery life seemed good and if your only option is to charge the batteries in the device it supports 1.5A charging.

Might be plastic but it's great build quality
No rattles from anywhere
Panels fit perfectly and securely
Very nice rubberised finish
High Power
Performed great in power mode
Fires and hits wattage instantly
One of the nicest fire buttons i have used
Curves feature
Temp control (not tested)
Very bright, sharp colour screen
Great use of colour on display
Air fed 510
Most tanks will fit without overhang (up to 26mm)
Very user friendly
Good battery life
1.5A charging

Cons

Not the best device for ergonomics
Side panels can start to feel uncomfortable in hand after a while
Don't like seeing batteries through the panel
If you wish to use tanks over 26mm they will overhang

I would once again like to thank Alice from Vapor Storm for supplying the Subverter 200W TC Mod for the purpose of this review.

Subverter - Vapor Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread