hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Hello and welcome back to yet another review by yours truly. Today I will be talking about the vaporesso Gen X that was sent to me by sourcemore in order to give a fair and honest opinion on this kit and perhaps give some insight as to whether it might be a good fit for you. Having reviewed the Gen S and Gen Nano in the past, I was very familiar with the operation of the Gen X. I won’t get too much into it yet but let’s take a look at the device and features first.

upload_2020-12-12_9-32-36.jpg

What’s in the box?

1 x GEN X MOD
    1 x NRG-S Tank (8ml)
    1 x GT Meshed Coil (Pre-installed)
    1 x GT4 Meshed Coil (In the Box)
    1 x Extra Mouthpiece
    1 x Glass Tube (5ml)
    4 x O-ring
    1 x Micro USB Cable
    1 x User Manual
    1 x Warranty Card

Specifications:

Features:

1. Combines the aircraft-grade aluminum material with CNC machining craftsmanship
      2. 8ml big e-juice capacity and slide top filling design
      3. Dual 18650 batteries and 220W max output power
      4. AXON Chip and a friendly operating system
      5. 4 modes: PULSE Mode, POWER ECO, SMART TC, DIY
      6. GT mesh coil and GT4 mesh coil for excellent flavor
      7. Convenient coil replacement: Pull and Push
      8. 0.91-inch OLED screen for vaping data

First Impressions:

I thought that the packaging on the Gen X kit was a little bit nicer than what I’m used to seeing from Vaporesso. When I removed the outer shell and the top of the box I could see the beautiful blue Gen X mod that I received. There was a pull tab at the bottom and the cover lifted up to expose the rest of the contents of the kit which included the matching tank, two GT series coils, a standard micro usb charging cable, and a bag of parts that included an extra drip tip and some o rings as well as an extra seal for the sliding part of the tank top.

Unlike the Gen S and Nano, the Gen X is smooth to the touch. The Gen X is made of aircraft aluminum and is very lightweight but feels solid in the hand. I feel like they did a really nice job with the CNC machining. However, I had grown accustomed to the curved edges of the Gen S and the corners on the X seem a bit sharper which is also likely due to it not having the rubberized coating like prior models.

The basic design of the X is the same as the S. There is a fire button, + and – buttons as well as a menu button. I very much like mods that include the menu button. It just makes things easier in my opinion. Just press and hold the menu button to access the menu. From there you will see Pulse Mode, Power Eco, Smart TC, DIY Mode, System Set, and Exit. I used it mostly in Pulse mode and got very good performance in my opinion. However, if you’d like to use it like a normal mod then you can choose DIY mode where you’ll find VW, VT,VV, CCW,BP,SP, and exit. On the main screen, there is remaining battery percentage, coil resistance, mode, suggested wattage range for the installed coil, and of course the wattage that is set. The unit uses two 18650 batteries and has a battery door that is held on with very strong magnets and there is no rattle. There is a slight notch on the bottom where you can get a fingernail to remove the battery door.

The kit includes the NRG-S tank that was also included in the Gen S kit. It has a whopping 8ml capacity and uses the GT series coils. I’ve been a longtime fan of the GT coils and they are one that I have chosen to stock up on. The drip tip is actually a 510 tip even though it somewhat appears to be an 810. The top cap on the tank is a push to fill type which I have seen on other Vaporesso tanks and very much like. You don’t have to find a place to sit the top cap while filling. The fill port is plenty big to use a glass dropper or most plastic bottles. I used a 50ml plastic bottle for filling during the time I used it.

The coils included in the kit are the .18 mesh rated at 50-85 watts and the .15 GT4 mesh rated at 50-75 watts. I don’t really like a super warm vape so as usual I found myself running these coils at lower settings. I ran both with the airflow at about 1/3 open and used the .15 coil at 45 watts and liked the .18 coil at 40 watts. I felt like both performed well at those settings and both produced very good flavor but I felt like the .18 coil was a little more flavorful and liked it quite a bit better.

Final Thoughts:

What can I say? I very much liked the Gen S and like the Gen X just as well. The mod is lightweight since it is made from aircraft aluminum. The operation of the mod is the same in both cases since both have the Axon chip. If I remember correctly, the Gen S did not display the puff counter on the main screen where the Gen X does. Some people don’t care about puff counters but I like them. Also the Gen X has adjustable brightness control. I would have to go back and dig out a Gen S to see if it had it. Just like the S, the X has a 2.5 amp charging rate. I am not really surprised that they did not change to a USB C charging port. The Gen X is comfortable in the hand for the most part and is familiar in a good way to me.

The NRG-S tank is a really good tank in my opinion. The slide to fill makes life easy with a fairly large fill port. Not sure why they haven’t gone to an 810 drip tip with a tank that has this much airflow available. At 1/3 open the tank had plenty of airflow for me even with the 510 tip. The coils screw into the base so you can change a coil with the tank partially filled which is a nice feature.

So, would I recommend the Vaporesso Gen X kit? Well, I know it’s very similar to the S model but there are a few small changes that make me like it. I have a couple of the original Gen kits, the Nano, and now the X. Each has there features that make them attractive. So whether you haven’t tried a Gen mod or just want to complete your collection, then yes I would recommend it if you like plenty of airflow and DTL vaping.

I would like to thank Lilia and Sourcemore for sending the Gen X kit for review. Also thanks to the people that take the time to read these reviews. Sourcemore has been kind enough to offer a coupon code for this kit which I will list below as well as a link.

Code: GENK

https://www.sourcemore.com/vaporesso-gen-x-kit.html

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Great review Hitt, I wish the Gen S had the brightness control also. Being made from aluminum makes it lighter but is there a perceivable difference from the Gen S which I thought was fairly lightweight itself? It's a different look without the little nubs that the Gen S has but I like it.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Great review Hitt, I wish the Gen S had the brightness control also. Being made from aluminum makes it lighter but is there a perceivable difference from the Gen S which I thought was fairly lightweight itself? It's a different look without the little nubs that the Gen S has but I like it.

I might get them both out and weigh them. The first thing I noticed when I pulled it out of the box was how light it was.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009

Ok, so I was wrong. I thought the X was lighter but it’s not. Without batteries, the X weighs 110.81 on my scale and the S weighs 108.09 so it’s slightly lighter. This I can tell you, when I first opened the X, I dropped it a couple feet on concrete and it didn’t leave a scratch. I’m sure the S would have been ok too since it has that rubberized coating.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I have not... If I am I better make a move on one soon..

I think they are fairly inexpensive. I would probably get either just the mod or the mod with the rda unless you want another tank to stock different coils for.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread