Vaporesso Nebula Wattage change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a vaporesso Nebula Kit that goes up to 100W, I'm using a 18650 battery on it but it never goes over the 50W and as the battery goes lower the Wattage lower, for example now I have like 40% of battery and the real wattage that appears when I press the button is 35W even if it's set to 50W, does anyone know why this happens ?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Reactions: Foggy Road

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I think your Vaporesso is trying to prevent you from blowing your face off. I believe the Nebula is a single battery mod - correct? A mod's rated wattage (100W for your Nebula) refers to what the board can handle, not what the batteries can provide. There is no single battery that can safely provide 100 W. Also, the amount of power a battery can provide lowers as it's discharged, so that could explain why your watts are dropping.

What battery are you using? I can't overstate how important it is to know the limits of your batteries and keep within them. Stressed batteries can overheat and vent (if you're lucky) or go into thermal runaway (i.e. explode). Anyway, let me know what you're using and we can go from there. Oh, have you noticed the battery getting hot at all?

ETA: Are you using temperature control (TC)?

Last edited:
I think your Vaporesso is trying to prevent you from blowing your face off. I believe the Nebula is a single battery mod - correct? A mod's rated wattage (100W for your Nebula) refers to what the board can handle, not what the batteries can provide. There is no single battery that can safely provide 100 W. Also, the amount of power a battery can provide lowers as it's discharged, so that could explain why your watts are dropping.

What battery are you using? I can't overstate how important it is to know the limits of your batteries and keep within them. Stressed batteries can overheat and vent (if you're lucky) or go into thermal runaway (i.e. explode). Anyway, let me know what you're using and we can go from there. Oh, have you noticed the battery getting hot at all?

ETA: Are you using temperature control (TC)?

I use my mod in the Wattage mod, anyway, since my mod supports a bigger battery (that I don't remember the exact model), I think the 100W power can only be used with that battery, for the 18650 it have an adapter... I'm using a Phillips 3200Mah 18650 battery anyway...

Reactions: Foggy Road

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I use my mod in the Wattage mod, anyway, since my mod supports a bigger battery (that I don't remember the exact model), I think the 100W power can only be used with that battery, for the 18650 it have an adapter... I'm using a Phillips 3200Mah 18650 battery anyway...

The bigger battery would be a 26650, and I don't think any of them can reach 100W either, although I could be mistaken there.

Unfortunately, your battery does not seem to be safe for use in your mod. I don't know its exact specs as I'm not familiar with that battery, but I do know that there aren't any 20 amp CDR 18650s with a capacity over 3000 mah, so if yours is 3200 mah its CDR is less than 20A.

A lot of people initially assume that all 18650s are the same. This isn't the case - they vary in capacity (how long a charge lasts - that's the 3200 mah you mentioned) and CDR (essentially how much power you can pull from them before they overheat). Also, as CDR goes up, capacity drops.

This link will explain how to calculate the maximum safe wattage for a battery's CDR:
Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

In short, you can use a 20A battery up to around 55W, a 25A battery to about 65W and a 30A battery to about 80W. There aren't any 18650s with CDRs over 30A.

Getting a good battery is also an issue. Many of the batteries sold by vape shops are overrated rewraps. You can only trust the ratings of batteries produced by Sony, Samsung or LG. Even then, their batteries are often counterfeited so you should never buy batteries from Amazon, eBay or even a lot of vape shops.

ECF's resident battery guru, Mooch, has tested a bunch of batteries and produced a list of recommended batteries for vaping. At the bottom of the chart is a list of reliable vendors that check carefully for counterfeits (that doesn't mean they never screw up, but they do something about it if they do). I would strongly recommend you get some good batteries from one of the vendors listed there:

Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum

Summary:
Your battery is not safe for use in your mod. Your wattage is dropping because it can't provide enough power. Trying to drain the maximum power from it has stressed it and may have damaged it, making it dangerous to use. Besides which, we don't know its CDR so you can't tell what settings would be safe even if it weren't damaged.

The solution is to get one of Mooch's recommended batteries from a reliable supplier. The chart shows the CDRs for each battery, so you can pick one that will work at the wattage you want to vape at.

The bigger battery would be a 26650, and I don't think any of them can reach 100W either, although I could be mistaken there.

Unfortunately, your battery does not seem to be safe for use in your mod. I don't know its exact specs as I'm not familiar with that battery, but I do know that there aren't any 20 amp CDR 18650s with a capacity over 3000 mah, so if yours is 3200 mah its CDR is less than 20A.

A lot of people initially assume that all 18650s are the same. This isn't the case - they vary in capacity (how long a charge lasts - that's the 3200 mah you mentioned) and CDR (essentially how much power you can pull from them before they overheat). Also, as CDR goes up, capacity drops.

This link will explain how to calculate the maximum safe wattage for a battery's CDR:
Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

In short, you can use a 20A battery up to around 55W, a 25A battery to about 65W and a 30A battery to about 80W. There aren't any 18650s with CDRs over 30A.

Getting a good battery is also an issue. Many of the batteries sold by vape shops are overrated rewraps. You can only trust the ratings of batteries produced by Sony, Samsung or LG. Even then, their batteries are often counterfeited so you should never buy batteries from Amazon, eBay or even a lot of vape shops.

ECF's resident battery guru, Mooch, has tested a bunch of batteries and produced a list of recommended batteries for vaping. At the bottom of the chart is a list of reliable vendors that check carefully for counterfeits (that doesn't mean they never screw up, but they do something about it if they do). I would strongly recommend you get some good batteries from one of the vendors listed there:

Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum

Summary:
Your battery is not safe for use in your mod. Your wattage is dropping because it can't provide enough power. Trying to drain the maximum power from it has stressed it and may have damaged it, making it dangerous to use. Besides which, we don't know its CDR so you can't tell what settings would be safe even if it weren't damaged.

The solution is to get one of Mooch's recommended batteries from a reliable supplier. The chart shows the CDRs for each battery, so you can pick one that will work at the wattage you want to vape at.

As far as I know, my mod have a safe system, so it's drop automatically the wattage to not stress the battery, so even if I try to set 100W on it, it will never go over 50W (When battery is fully charged)

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
As far as I know, my mod have a safe system, so it's drop automatically the wattage to not stress the battery, so even if I try to set 100W on it, it will never go over 50W (When battery is fully charged)

Unfortunately, your mod has no way of knowing what the battery's CDR might be, so it can't adjust for it. All it can do is (perhaps) determine that it's not getting enough power, and that will occur long past the point that the battery is stressed. I'd really recommend getting better batteries as quickly as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread