vaporesso nrg tank problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

damant77

Sep 22, 2018
hey i bought a revenger x kit which came with this tank. i used it fine no problem until i decided to clean the tank and swap out the coil for a new juice. immediately the mod began to dry hit and the tank began leaking. i figured i might have lost an o-ring during the cleaning process so i disassembled it and checked it thoroughly... it seemed fine. i reassembled it again and it was useless. ...... off, i ordered a second tank. this one was fine out of the box and as soon as i cleaned it { more carefully this time} it was as useless as the first. i compared it new out of the box to the 1st and they were exactly the same.

i dont understand what is going on at this point. it seems i am ruining it somehow when i clean, but how? i ordered a 3rd tank and this time it was useless out of the box. i did unscrew the atomizer and coil and put them back together before use but i did it solidly.

when i clean the tank i simply remove the coil and run the tank and atomizer under the sink. i dry them thoroughly, swap or reapply the coil and tighten it in. on a new coil i prime it with juice and then take a few dry hits. i let the juice sit in the tank for a few mins on a new atomizer. i vape it at the lowest watt setting for the coil. i fill the tank about a quarter of the way, i would fill more but i know its about to leak. i feel like i do everything correct and no parts are missing so why the hell are these 3 tanks worthless?

when i say they are leaking the tank itself doesnt leak. what happens is there are dry hits only and i see liquid dripping through the airvent but not the glass or the top part. hitting it makes a gurgling and popping sound with hot liquid spitting out and very little smoke.

all i know is its not any of the o rings and i am very tightly screwing the coil and all the pieces together so thats not the issue either. its also not the mod or juice, lol, trying to get it all out there. its behaving like a flooded atomizer but i cant see how it would get that way with perfect o rings and installation.

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thought those were press fit coils but could be wrong. Haven’t read about these type of complaints before and 3 out of 3 are phenomenally bad odds. Are you sure they are authentic? If they are my bet would be user error. Try watching a yt video or two and see if you missed a step.

• Useful

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
I run 5 NRG tanks in my rotation. No problems.
1) When you prime prime only the inside of the coil, watch the outer juice holes to become saturated, this indicates the coil is fully primed. Do not prime through the juice holes on the outer surface of the coil. Allow any excess juice from priming to drain out of the center of the coil before installing.
2) Start at a wattage that is around half (50%) of the coils's minimum wattage range and work up to your desired wattage in 5 watt increments allowing the coil to break in. IF your prime is only partially effective or you are not waiting long enough after filling the tank for the coil to saturate and you apply to high wattage the coil will burn.
3) Make sure the airflow holes are closed when you open the top cap to fill the tank.
4) Too high a wattage will over heat your juice thereby thinning it out which will allow it to leak through the cotton and flood the coil and leak out of the airflow holes
5) Subjecting the tank to high from being outside on a hot day or leaving it in the sun light can thin juice and cause it to leak.
6) You don't say what the PG?VG ratio of you juice is, high PG juice is very thin, again this will leak through the cotton, flood the coil and leak out of the airflow holes.
7) carefully inspect the condition and placement of 3 different o-rings in the tank 1) top inside the glass, 2) smaller clear o-ring on the bottom end of the chimney where the top of the coil screws on and 3) bottom of glass in the base. Top and bottom o-rings are black and finally the black o-ring at the top of the threads on the coil. The bottom black piece is an insulator not an o-ring on the coil. You should also verify the white gasket is in place under the top cap, you will see it when you slide the top cap open to fill the tank

Tanks most often leak because of loss of vacuum due to damaged o-rings, cracked glass, over filling the tank.

The NRG is one of the better subohm drop in coil tanks available, as I said I have 5 and none leak.

Verify you have original tanks and coils. The mesh coil is my favorite in the NRG, tons of flavor and lasts a long time.

Several videos on leaking tanks and how to fix
vape tank leaks - YouTube

damant77

Sep 22, 2018
everything is authentic. i dont think there is anything wrong with them per se. 2 out of 3 worked for at least one fill up and only broke after i dissasembled them. the 3rd 'broke' immediately but i dissasembled it before use. i didnt touch any of the o rings and they are fine. i use vg only but its fine cause like i said i vaped a couple tanks np. something is going wrong during dissasembly but its not the orings so what else could it be. i prime it correctly and use low voltage. i vape inside my house, room temp. the glass isnt cracked or overfilled so i dont understand why it would be leaking through the airflow.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Your observations seem to be contradictory.
You say you get a lot of dry hits, but at the same, there are only 3 spots where the liquid could enter the center chimney. And if you have screwed together all the parts firmly, there should be no leak at the coil base or the chimney parts, and that means that the liquid can only go through the coil, and leak from there; which should in return saturate the coil thoroughly.

To narrow it down:
Does the tank also leak when you have filled it up but don't use it? Fill it, let it stand for a day, then re-check. If it's dry, then maybe you're misvaping the coils. I know mine (compatible with yours) start leaking when I vape them too far below the recommended watt range. Some of the liquid doesn't get heated enough and remains in the chimney, slowly oozing down. No further condensation required.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
When you take it apart for cleaning do you remove the 3 tank o-rings or leave them in place? The top and bottom black o-rings have a right and wrong direction. The bottom o-ring would take some creativity from you to put it in wrong. The top o-ring has notches on the inside of the o-ring. these notches are closed at the top and open at the bottom, doubt putting it on upside down could cause a leak but better safe than sorry. Obviously the clear o-ring at the top of the coil/bottom of the chimney doesn't have up or down orientation.

When you install the coil screw it into the base first not on to the chimney first. the coil just needs to be finger tight, take care not to crank down and distort the o-ring. When you assemble the tank it needs to be tight. Assembling the tank will further tighten in remaining slope in the coil to base threading.

i run mesh coils between 40 to 50W the coil is rated for 50 to 85W. I run 70/30 VG/PG. No leaks.

What do you clean it with? What coils are you using? Be careful when cleaning the chimney, I knock the clear o-ring off about every third time then down on the floor looking for it. Without the clear o-ring it would leak like a bucket with no bottom.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
When you take it apart for cleaning do you remove the 3 tank o-rings or leave them in place? The top and bottom black o-rings have a right and wrong direction. The bottom o-ring would take some creativity from you to put it in wrong. The top o-ring has notches on the inside of the o-ring. these notches are closed at the top and open at the bottom, doubt putting it on upside down could cause a leak but better safe than sorry. Obviously the clear o-ring at the top of the coil/bottom of the chimney doesn't have up or down orientation.

When you install the coil screw it into the base first not on to the chimney first. the coil just needs to be finger tight, take care not to crank down and distort the o-ring. When you assemble the tank it needs to be tight. Assembling the tank will further tighten in remaining slope in the coil to base threading.

i run mesh coils between 40 to 50W the coil is rated for 50 to 85W. I run 70/30 VG/PG. No leaks.

What do you clean it with? What coils are you using? Be careful when cleaning the chimney, I knock the clear o-ring off about every third time then down on the floor looking for it. Without the clear o-ring it would leak like a bucket with no bottom.
With the tfv4 I had to replace the chimney oring about every 4th wash, very flimsy. Finally switched to dt orings and it was much better.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
i am very tightly screwing the coil and all the pieces together so thats not the issue either.

Could it be that you're screwing things too tightly together? When I change coils in my NRG tank, I wouldn't say that I am exerting any pressure or screwing things tightly back together. I just gently put it back together and I do not force anything or try to make it very tight.

I've been using an NRG tank (I only own one), and I've never had a single issue with it. No leaks and no dry hits either. I change coils and clean the tank about once per week.

Good luck with your issue.

damant77

Sep 22, 2018
nah its not the o-rings, they are on correctly for sure and dont need any replacement or modification. i clean with water only and i dont screw it back together too hard, i dont use a wrench or anything lol. the tank does not leak at all when standing still, only thru the airhole when vaping. i guess i should clarify dry hits, there is smoke but very little and its too hot and nasty but the coil is new or almost new. there is also a popping and gurgling sound. they are the gt8 coils that come with the tank and set.

please tell me if any of these things could have anything to do with it:

1. when i screw on the tank / atomizer the mod is supposed to ask me if its a new coil or old but sometimes it doesnt ask me at all even if its all brand new. i restart but it doesnt ask anyway

2. holding the fire button but hot hitting

3. the coils being burned and in need of replacement

4. vaping at too low watts in vw mode

Last edited:

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
I'm at a total loss, if as you say all 3 tank o-rings and the coil o-ring are good, you are using authentic coils and tank, high VG juice, not deforming the o-rings during assembly, etc...

Only leaks when vaping means you are flooding the coil, eliquid is getting to the inside of the coil or past the coil in to the airflow chamber. If this is not o-ring related it has to be via the coil, so the cotton is over saturated and passing eliquid to the airflow chamber, seem unlikely with high vg. Could happen if airflow control was closed and you are taking hard draws which will pull in more liquid than the coil can vaporize. Hard draws combined with low wattage might produce this. Low wattage would also account for lack of vapor production you described..

What wattage are you using when this happens?
Is your Revenger X in power or TC mode?
What is the position of the airflow control on the NRG?
Do you have another mod you vape the NRG on to see if it happens there too?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I'm at a total loss, if as you say all 3 tank o-rings and the coil o-ring are good, you are using authentic coils and tank, high VG juice, not deforming the o-rings during assembly, etc...

Only leaks when vaping means you are flooding the coil, eliquid is getting to the inside of the coil or past the coil in to the airflow chamber. If this is not o-ring related it has to be via the coil, so the cotton is over saturated and passing eliquid to the airflow chamber, seem unlikely with high vg. Could happen if airflow control was closed and you are taking hard draws which will pull in more liquid than the coil can vaporize. Hard draws combined with low wattage might produce this. Low wattage would also account for lack of vapor production you described..

What wattage are you using when this happens?
Is your Revenger X in power or TC mode?
What is the position of the airflow control on the NRG?
Do you have another mod you vape the NRG on to see if it happens there too?
Did you read the OP's last post? The questions asked explains what the problem is pretty well.

damant77

Sep 22, 2018
i replaced the coil and had the same problem. i am vaping in vw using the gt8 coils which are rated 50 -110w. i start vaping at 55watt using normal warm up and i keep the airholes all the way open. i had the problem immediately and i cranked it up to 90w by 5 watt increments and it continued. so its not the coil or the wattage. i have another revenger x mod because i bought two kits and i tried it on that one, same thing

• Optimistic

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
i replaced the coil and had the same problem. i am vaping in vw using the gt8 coils which are rated 50 -110w. i start vaping at 55watt using normal warm up and i keep the airholes all the way open. i had the problem immediately and i cranked it up to 90w by 5 watt increments and it continued. so its not the coil or the wattage. i have another revenger x mod because i bought two kits and i tried it on that one, same thing
I think your starting wattage is too high. You need to start lower to avoid burnt taste. Watch this video

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
please tell me if any of these things could have anything to do with it:
1. when i screw on the tank / atomizer the mod is supposed to ask me if its a new coil or old but sometimes it doesnt ask me at all even if its all brand new. i restart but it doesnt ask anyway
2. holding the fire button but hot hitting
3. the coils being burned and in need of replacement
4. vaping at too low watts in vw mode
1. No. And not every mod will ask you for a changed coil at any given time, but only when it's needed.
2. Yes. Every bit of vapor you don't draw out of the top, will condense and travel downwards.
3. Yes. Burnt cotton will not saturate the coil as it's supposed to, plus it doesn't exert the same capillary force on the liquid to hold it back from entering the central chimney.
4. Yes. Low temps make (2) more likely.

Vaping those coils requires learning. I had to learn the same way. After having a filled tank not leak on me while standing around, but leak on me whenever I vaped, it was clear that I was most probably doing my vaping wrong.

what happens is there are dry hits only and i see liquid dripping through the airvent but not the glass or the top part
That can be a deceptive observation. Air is much less dense than liquid and can travel through the smallest cracks where liquid won't come through, slowly ruining the vacuum in the tank. That's why you need to let your filled tank stand around for a while to see whether it leaks on its own, or if it's you vaping wrong.

Last edited:

damant77

Sep 22, 2018
i stopped doing all of those things, used new coils, used new wattages. i was already doing things proper thats why i was able to vape a couple tanks before things went south. its not working. no matter what i do i get gurgling, popping and liquid coming down. now i have gotten it to a point where sometimes it is actually hittable but this is no way to vape and most of the time it completely wont let me hit anything but hot burned gas.

i also tried my luck in tc and no deal

also i have a q about this tank/coil. once u fill it the only way for the liquid to get into the coil to be vaped is thru the slots in the metal where the cotton is visible?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread