Vaporesso Polar Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

UlkaHuren

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2018
Central Maryland
F89DF98D-5769-42FE-99AA-B916991F575C.jpeg

I’ve been using this mod over a week now and I’ve gone through all the settings. I set up a couple mods with all the settings the same to test TC and watt mode settings using my Boreas V2 RTA to do a comparison test in watt and TC modes to test relative power, temperature, and performance.

Test Parameters
TC Mode: 220°C / 50W
Watt Mode: 50W
tank: Boreas V2 RTA / 0.15 ohms / Twisted 26g dual coils

Operation
Very nice. I like how the temperature dials in 5°C increments and overall setting accelerations are easy to get where you want without flying far past where you wanted. I like the icon menu layout better than my VBoy with the YiHi SX500 and in cases like some of the options better. The fire button on the side is flush and big. Easy to press with a nice detent. You have to press it in the middle or top half to click since it pivots on the bottom. The insta-fire feature is great. Virtually no delay when you fire it.

Watt Mode
Seems accurate and the 3 ramp up profiles (Soft, Normal, Hard) work fine. The same settings on my VBoy are more pronounced between each one and there are 4. It has a custom curve wattage option which is nice.

Temperature Control Mode
I primarily use and build with SS316L for TC mode and I have 4 mods that do TC mode. The Polar runs as expected at the standard stainless 0.00092 coefficient. It’s nice that it lets you change it under the wire type settings instead of being fixed.

TC Mode Settings
Pretty standard and I really like that you can change the coefficient setting for each wire type as well as the 2 TCR settings. I like the custom curve temperature option. Much nicer for a TC mode user than the typical custom wattage curve, which it also has as well as a voltage curve option.

Cascade Baby SE tank
Very nice tank! The only tank I’ve gotten with a mod that’s a keeper! I usually opt to not get the mod with a tank, but this one is very nice and the mesh coil is outstanding! One thing is that the swing open to fill top slow seeped with mine. Taking the top off, the plate seats firmly and my thought is that it will seal better with use. After opening and closing it several times and using it for a week, it’s not seeping anymore. I think with use the seal is seating better on the plate. I’d advise to keep pulling up on the top as you swing it open and closed so that the edge of it won’t scrape across the seal. I’m annoyed that they don’t make TC coils for it. I’ll have to rebuild one of the heads with SS.

Resistance Sensing
Excellent. Nothing is manual about it. It auto senses the resistance accurately each time. It will ask you if it’s a different tank if the resistance is decidedly different. Also you can lock the resistance for a TC mode tank and switch off to another tank with a different resistance to use in wattage and when you switch back to the TC mode tank the resistance is still locked in. Even if I put the tank on warm it seems to get it right. My VBoy is auto sense manually, but it also lets you dial that setting up or down and has no lock.

Battery Life
Seems comparable to my GTRS VBoy 200W. It lasts through a day of moderate use.

Display
Very nice display. I like it better than my VBoy which has a very nice color display. The brightness is dim though. You’ll likely keep it at 100%. My VBoy is as bright on the 10% setting than the Polar is at 100%. I love the clock standby screen option and use the dial clock. Not so useful when I’m keeping a schedule. The plastic display lens is flush with the front and it’s glossy and will get smudged up as much as your phone screen. My VBoy has a non glare glass lens that deeply inset into the front so you’re not prone ever touch it when holding the mod or ever scratching it.

Puff Counter
I never really care about that, but this one is very nice. Besides puffs, it also gives length of puff and the total minutes of use. Huh, a puff counter I actually like.

510 Connector
It works very well with stainless threads and seems firmly mounted to the metal frame top when I was pulling on it side to side with a loose tank on it. It sits just slightly above the frame so expect to see some circular marks from threading tanks on it. I’m partial to connectors with a flange that the tank sits on. Those generally can take a lot of abuse. Only time will tell how this one holds up.

Battery Closure
Excellent. The back panel is held on firmly by 3 strong magnets. There’s a small slot in one corner that facilitates in prying the panel off. The battery wells are shallow enough to let you easy remove the batteries.

Chassis
The chassis is a metal frame that is the black band of the mod and the plastic battery compartment is inset into it behind the electronics. The front and back panels are metal as well.

Finish
It has a beautiful glossy finish the looks pretty durable. The black area around the mod is a flat black. I sit it up on counters, desks, and such and there is no noticeable wear underneath it from over a week.

Weight
With batteries it feels about as heavy as the Aegis 100W or VBoy 200W. Too be honest I assumed that it would be lighter. The amount of metal it’s constructed of in that regard should mean that it’s pretty rugged, but please don’t mar up that very nice glossy finish!

Firmware Updating
My advice is that if you’re not a tech nerd, then get someone who’s updated mods before or a computer geek friend to do it. Oh and don’t bother with the Mac updated app they have. It’s not for the Polar and won’t recognize it. It boot loaded as usual by removing the batteries, connecting it to USB and pressing the fire button, but it took a few attempts for me to get the firmware update initiated. It stalled halfway through. I had to hold the fire button in to get it to download successfully. The other trick to it was to get it started right away since it seems that the boot load times out quick. The firmware update took quite awhile. Probably 3 minutes to complete. Someone who hasn’t done many firmware updates to mods will likely get lost. It’s a sketchy process with this app and mod.

Conclusion
I really like this Polar mod better than the VBoy as far as option layout and the appearance. The VBoy is flat black and very rugged so I’ll use that in rougher environments. The VBoy is a very good mod though and I can’t knock it.

Last edited:

UlkaHuren

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2018
Central Maryland
Nice review. I'm a Vaporesso fan. The ceramic GT coils are SS316 and work great in the Cascade tanks in TC mode.

Thanks. I was browsing the GT Cores and didn’t see any as SS. I may give it a try. I have a Gemini tank I was using a couple years ago and the CCell ceramic coils were nice, but they generally gave a dry vape or would burn no matter what juice I used so I gave up on those.

Reactions: stols001

UlkaHuren

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2018
Central Maryland
Thanks for the review. So the "test TC comparison mode" was done entirely subjectively then? Please don't take it as criticism, it's certainly more than many reviews offer, just wanted to be sure. I liked the way you broke down the review, nicely done and easy to absorb, I guess I want to say. :)

Anna

Thanks. I do a comparison between mods to judge accuracy. I actually do have a temperature probe and fancy electronic lab gear that I’ve used, so I have a feel for whether it’s performing right.

Reactions: stols001

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
Thanks. I was browsing the GT Cores and didn’t see any as SS. I may give it a try. I have a Gemini tank I was using a couple years ago and the CCell ceramic coils were nice, but they generally gave a dry vape or would burn no matter what juice I used so I gave up on those.

If you're talking about the Brass ceramic coils with hexagonal flood ports, I couldn't agree more. Those were crap. I went back and forth with Vaporesso for about a month about this problem and never got a clear answer. They now make the EUC coils both ceramic SS316 and Nichrome claptons which work extremely well. For older tanks they make a sleeve to fit in the tank and accepts the EUC coils. The best part is that the EUC coils cost about half the price of the brass coils. I have to give Vaporesso some credit for realizing they had a real problem with the old coils (though they never actually admitted it) and fixed it with a better coil at a better price.

UlkaHuren

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2018
Central Maryland
If you're talking about the Brass ceramic coils with hexagonal flood ports, I couldn't agree more. Those were crap. I went back and forth with Vaporesso for about a month about this problem and never got a clear answer. They now make the EUC coils both ceramic SS316 and Nichrome claptons which work extremely well. For older tanks they make a sleeve to fit in the tank and accepts the EUC coils. The best part is that the EUC coils cost about half the price of the brass coils. I have to give Vaporesso some credit for realizing they had a real problem with the old coils (though they never actually admitted it) and fixed it with a better coil at a better price.

Me too. I contacted them about that and a firmware bug with the Target Pro. Whatever you set the Ti setting to also changes the TCR to as well. Yeah I still have some of the EUC coils. I was able to improve the CCells by cutting away some of the cotton at the bottom of the ceramic tube to let it breathe more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread