Vaporesso target pm80 shuts off

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLEJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2020
Mine doing the same. Only had for a month. Will be going to get my money back. Pretty inconvenient.
i've now seen this same problem from several users of both Targets & Vincis. It could be QC but vaporesso & Voopoo have decent reps, far as i can tell, so i have to suspect liquid leaking from pods onto the circuitry. There are YouTube videos showing how to minimize leaking, and i'll recommend again removing the pod when the unit isn't in use, checking for any liquid in the well when you do.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
My vaporesso shuts off and resets to 5...even when the battery is fully charged. To get it to turn back on you have to plug it into the charger. Anybody know why it's doing this?

Pls allow me to intrude in this convo. I've been through this twice since January. The biggest problem is radio silence from vaporesso. I have several Vaporesso vapes and they are reliable. The PM80 is a great design and performance is amazing, when it works.

Mine does the same thing now it shuts off constantly. Only way to get on is buy plugging into charger and sometimes that doesn't even work.

I also have this issue. im on my second unit. I vape a cinnamon blend and I know in a traditional tank it will eat at plastic, so you can only use glass. Wonder if this is part of the problem.

I have 3 PM80's. All doing the same thing & inopperable. I love these lil things but Dayum! Its very irritating. I emailed them before & they wanted like their birth certificates. Lol. But I do need to follow up.with them. I knew I couldn't be the only one having this problem.

My vaporesso shuts off and resets to 5...even when the battery is fully charged. To get it to turn back on you have to plug it into the charger. Anybody know why it's doing this?

Mine doing the same. Only had for a month. Will be going to get my money back. Pretty inconvenient.

It really sounds like a widespread problem. May I suggest that you start a thread (or many individual threads) in Vaporesso subforum and ask for help. This is not good and they should know about it. Vendors are not allowed to post in general forum, so even if they saw this thread, they wouldn't be able to respond.

Vaporesso

Good luck!

Good luck!

b45425425

Aug 25, 2020
Came here to say that I've had 3 of these that do the exact same thing. I've torn one apart to clean it and still does the same thing. I'm not convinced it's a leak problem, but firmware that goes haywire or the charging that eventually short circuits the thing. If anyone has a link to the vapresso forum, I'm curious if anything is being done about it. Damn shame as they are very good portable vapes.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Came here to say that I've had 3 of these that do the exact same thing. I've torn one apart to clean it and still does the same thing. I'm not convinced it's a leak problem, but firmware that goes haywire or the charging that eventually short circuits the thing. If anyone has a link to the vapresso forum, I'm curious if anything is being done about it. Damn shame as they are very good portable vapes.

;)

It really sounds like a widespread problem. May I suggest that you start a thread (or many individual threads) in Vaporesso subforum and ask for help. This is not good and they should know about it. Vendors are not allowed to post in general forum, so even if they saw this thread, they wouldn't be able to respond.

Vaporesso

Good luck!

Good luck!

Reactions: stols001

Mark Ant

Sep 8, 2020
I can say without a shadow of doubt that this is caused by the ingress of liquid into the mod and onto the circuit board.
My friend bought one of these, and me, being a vaper of many years, was interested in this new pod design.
When I tried his I was very impressed with how good it was, and after confirming that the battery would last a whole day I decided to order a couple from China and pack away the joytech I had been using for the last couple of years.
But within 2 weeks my friend reported this same issue, the resetting to 5, turning off by itself, not being able to restart, ect ect.
Thought he had bought a dud untill I received mine. Within 2 weeks the same started to happened to one of mine.
I had noticed there was small amount of juice in cavity between fills, no more than on most mods.
Almost like condensation build up.
I figured it might be leaking into the mod where the plate the pod sits on meets the body of the mod.
I decided to use some silicon sealant smoothed around the edge of this plate and also around the 2 gold pins to see if this would stop any ingress.
Since then (nearly 3 months) I have had no further issue.
The mod that had started to show a fault is working fine...No more issue.

VadUVb
00001XTR_00000_BURST20200908093211.jpg
IMG_20200908_092852_4.jpg

It is poor implementation of a good design by Vaperesso.

Edit:
It would seem that other pod mods from other manufactures suffer the same problem.
I would say that it is an inherent problem with the design of pod mods.
The cavity that is left between the pod and body of the mod allows warm vapor to sit, where it condenses back to liquid when it meets the cold surface of the mod. Eventually it 'pools up' over time, and leaks into the mod if not sealed properly.

Last edited:

Mark Ant

Sep 8, 2020
What kind of sealant did you use?

I used some clear aquarium silicone sealant, only because I had a tube on hand.
You could use any kitchen/bathroom sealant any colour.
Can be found in small tubes that you can squeeze out by hand instead of using sealant gun.
Squeeze a pea size of sealant onto finger tip and run your finger around the bottom edge.
Do the same over the gold pins, don't go too heavy.
Wait for 15 mins and you will be able to easily clean up any areas that get covered accidentally, like the top of the gold pins, Using a tiny screwdriver or pinhead or similar to tidy up.
Once done, drop a pod in to check all fits ok.
You may need to push pod down if not sitting properly, as sealant is only half set it shouldn't be a problem.
Once all is good, remove pod and leave to set for a few hours.

• Informative
Reactions: Katya

Mark Ant

Sep 8, 2020
Thank you, I have a Vinci X whose pods tend to get wet feet. I hate leaky pods--besides, they can damage those, apparently not properly sealed, devices. Serious design flaw.

Cost, cost, cost...
Just make it cheaply as possible and move on to next design.
If any complaints, just ignore or blame it on user error.
If less than half are returned, we make profit.
This is the mantra

Stuartelemo

Moved On
Aug 30, 2020
  • Deleted by classwife

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Folks, Conformal Coatings should really be used to prevent damage from liquid ingress with vape mods.

Dipping the boards a few times to make sure they are coated well is not going to be excessively expensive.

Actually, the cost is very high when you consider the longer a mod lasts the less future sales they will make.

Pete Gustin

Sep 21, 2020
    Thanks for this post!! Mine does the exact same thing. The dealer told me to be very careful about not overcharging the battery -- I killed my first one that way. Checking for leaks is also a great idea. Thanks!

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The dealer told me to be very careful about not overcharging the battery -- I killed my first one that way

If you're overcharging the battery that is a defect in the pod system, not your fault. The mod's circuitry should have a cut-off for the charging so that when the battery reaches X voltage it will stop the charging.

I doubt that is the problem, though. I think the dealer who told you that is most likely yet another $10/hr vape shop dolt.

But if he's right and you have to worry about not overcharging your battery in that system, then drop that system. It could be dangerous.

Pete Gustin

Sep 21, 2020
    Welcome to ECF, Davo004.
    I just replaced mine and saw something in the box I hadn't noticed before: the coil has to be inserted in a certain way. The red lines have to line up exactly with the front and back of the unit... I'm wondering if I just put the coils in too carelessly. I'll watch it and let everyone know if this makes a difference.

• Informative
    Reactions: UncLeJunkLe
    I've been reading this with interest, as I also thought that my issue was unique. It worked happily for around two months and then one day just would not switch on after charging it. The vendor was great and immediately sent me a new unit, which worked perfectly for close to two months and then did the exact same thing a few nights ago.

The reason that I thought I would chime in here, is because I think that it might not be a leak. Having not turned on for two days, I tried again tonight, and nothing, so I plugged it back into the power source (my Mac) and still nothing. Whilst plugged in, I moved the plug gently where it plugs into the PM80 and realised that if I moved the plug carefully up and down, it suddenly turned on again. I think that it might just be the circuit board where the power plugs into it. I think that in disconnecting it from charge the first time that I had an issue moved something on the circuit board.

If I'm right, this is obviously not a fix, but it might help identify the problem. I would be interested to hear if anyone else tries this and has any luck. For clarity, hold the plug in place in the PM80 and gently move it towards the two little buttons (the plus/minus buttons) and back again. You obviously can't move it much, or you will break it for sure, just a little.

Viccenzo

Oct 20, 2020
    Hello, I had the same problem, and it is very simple to solve. All you have to do is lower that pin a little bit in the middle of the Micro USB connection. This is because the system identifies a fault, and to prevent damage to the device the POD does not turn on. I found a video on Youtube that explains exactly what you have to do. Follow the link: By the way, I recommend you buy a magnetic cable so that the connection is always there. I'll post a photo of which cable I'm talking about.
    WxHhBFZ

Last edited:

Johnathon476

Oct 24, 2020

please watch my video it’s a fix/repair for this mod I experienced the same issue found no help online just a lot of people with the same questions it’s true that juice goes into the mod but that’s not the issue it’s the battery connection to the board the cable breaks and causes it to short or stop working if not plugged into power supply ! There is a part one and then 2 of my video will be posting a part 3 showing my mod working properly after I re-solder the battery cable to the board

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread