The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Vaporshark rDNA and kayfun issue

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by Impulso, Oct 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Impulso

Impulso Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2013
    Rocklin, ca
    Hi All,

I seem to have a leaking issue from the AFC while using my KFL+ only while using the rDNA. Doesn't happen on my mech, provari, MVP etc. Anyone experience the same thing happening? I am thinking that this may be due to the lack of a deep enough set of air channels and that the AFC may be lining up incorrectly?

This sucks as I love the setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Garemlin

Garemlin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 15, 2013
    In the Mist
    I have noticed that I do get a little liquid around the base of my KFL when using it on my rDNA. Not so on my Provari. Or maybe it just isn't as noticable because it seems to sit right on the flat top.

3. MidwestGuy

MidwestGuy Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 17, 2014
    Iowa
    I had this problem as well with my Kayfuns and rDNA. I wrapped some teflon tape around the AFC screw, snugged it in flush with the bottom, and all is well from this point forward on all of my Kayfuns.

Wrapping teflon around such a tiny screw can be/was a bit difficult, may take a couple of attempts. Be sure to keep the ends clear, more so towards the end of the AFC screw so that teflon doesn't stick out in the air flow channel and block any airflow. You can use quite a bit around the screw, the teflon will compress as it threads/tightens.

4. Blackboar

Blackboar Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 17, 2014
    Upper Marlboro, MD
    Although I haven't needed it for my Kayfun, I can attest to how effective Teflon tape is for a leaky atty. For me, I use it to wrap the threads and between the AFC ring and barrel of my leaky Magma. I've been using the Teflon wrapped threaded Magma on my rDNA for a few weeks now. The atty and mod stay bone dry.

5. Impulso

Nov 23, 2013
    Rocklin, ca
    Thanks for all the tips. I find it weird that it does it only with the rDNA - must be the low clearance?

I tightened the afc and the leaking is gone down quite a bit.

For those who suggested using Teflon, how much that restrict the airflow? Not at all, or a little bit?

6. Blackboar

Blackboar Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 17, 2014
    Upper Marlboro, MD
    It should not impede airflow at all if you only wrap the threads of the screw with it. Use an exacto knife to trim any excess.

7. MidwestGuy

MidwestGuy Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 17, 2014
    Iowa
    Are you sure it doesn't happen on other mods? It happened on all my mods, albeit just slightly when subjecting the Kayfun to moderate temperature changes. All of my Kayfuns leaked slightly whether on or off the mod for me. Definitely not an isolated rDNA issue for me; rather a Kayfun issue. Keep in mind I'm talking barely a drop of e-liquid... to most probably a non-issue completely.

I don't think there is any part of the rDNA design that would promote additional leaking beyond normal Kayfun "slight seepage". With my teflon "fix" - no leaking at all/sealed well.

The Teflon tape shouldn't interfere with airflow any more than using it without teflon. Just make sure the end of the screw (side going in to the atty) is clear/doesn't have any excess on it.

8. Impulso

Nov 23, 2013
    Rocklin, ca
    It's wierd, I know, but no leakage otherwise. Forget the liquid on the mod, there would be a small amount of liquid on the bottom of the kayfun near the afc. I am worried about whether the vaporshark has the 510 connection insulated to prevent seepage into the mod, and that's why I was concerned. Don't want to fry the board and have an expensive paper weight.

I'll try the Teflon fix this weekend for sure. Thanks for the tip and answers all!

9. MFD00M

MFD00M Full Member Verified Member

Aug 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I removed the air flow screws on all my kayfun lites. I like the airflow wide open. I was getting the same issue and still do somewhat. I think it has to do with the fact that some vapor lingers and exits from the air holes after you take a drag, and since the airflow hole doesn't line up with the slots in the rDNA juice builds up as condensation.

I started taking a drag and keep inhaling a second or two after i let go of the fire button to clear any lingering vapor. Seems to have helped. I don't get anywhere near as much. I just make sure to wipe it off every time i refill the kayfun.

10. Impulso

Nov 23, 2013
    Rocklin, ca
    That's an interesting suggestion that I'll try this weekend. Thanks!

11. bamani71

bamani71 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 19, 2012
    Colorado
    The airflow screws (and holes if you take them out) sit right in between the airflow channels, so condensation collects under the Kayfun. At least it does for the EHPro version that I have.

12. herb

herb Vaping Master ECF Veteran

How is that EHpro version you have ?

13. bamani71

bamani71 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 19, 2012
    Colorado
    It works well for me. I can't really give an honest comparison or anything because it's the only kind I have. I've had some minor gurgling when it gets really low, but no major leaks or anything. Blow it out and it's good to go!

14. Impulso

Nov 23, 2013
    Rocklin, ca
    Reviving this old dead thread. I've been using my kayfun on my provari for about a week now, and not a sliver of leakage. It must be what bamani stated - not lining up the airflow channels? Bah!! Sucks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.