VaporShark rDNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiatrix

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
@KTMRider Have you found yourself wanting more power than the dna 40 provides, or are you satisfied with it and mostly want the 200 for the novelty if it?

Also because I'm inexperienced, I'm currious to know what ohms, wattage, and coil gauge you tend to use most often. Anyone who feels like answering that one would be welcome, actually.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
@KTMRider Have you found yourself wanting more power than the dna 40 provides, or are you satisfied with it and mostly want the 200 for the novelty if it?

Also because I'm inexperienced, I'm currious to know what ohms, wattage, and coil gauge you tend to use most often. Anyone who feels like answering that one would be welcome, actually.
I like a cool vape so I haven't had a need for more than 30w ever. I tried at 40w with my dripper at .75Ω dual coil kanthal (28g) just because but I usually vape at 24w. I'm at 20w with a .11Ω Ni200 28g in temp mode. My kanthal builds in my tanks are usually 1.2Ω - 1.5Ω and they're awesome at 12 - 15w. I have 30g and 28g and I only use 28g. I tried 26g but it needed more power to heat up fast and held heat too long, IMO.

There's really no need to "sub-ohm" anymore with VW devices but some people are just set in their ways or think it's the cool thing to do.

I love the ability to customize the mod with the DNA200. My DNA200's will never see anything over 50w and most likely never over 30w. That's why it's really hard for me to resist getting another rDNA40 with the sale going on right now.

Reactions: Fiatrix

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
You have until Sunday.

I've had mine for 8 months and it's still one of my favorite mods (next to my VS DNA40). I use it just about every day and if the DNA200 wasn't announced (I already bought 2 boards and will be buying the VS DNA200), I would've already ordered another one. I had 2 VS DNA30's and put them up for sale last month but had second thoughts when someone bought one of them so I kept the other one. I dealt with CS once and they were great to deal with (replaced my DNA40 with faulty fire button). I know some have had issues with CS but I've been happy with them and will continue to buy and recommend their mods. I came >< this close to ordering an Opus 200 that was in stock just to get my grubby little hands on a DNA200 but just barely resisted and will be waiting impatiently for the VS DNA200. There's a Vape Expo in NJ in a couple of weeks and VS will be there. I'm hoping they'll have some DNA200's for sale (yeah, wishful thinking).
Yeah, I just pre-ordered a DNA200 mod last weekend, so that is why I haven't insta jumped on the rDNA. I do miss my large screen DNA40 G-box mod (wife has confiscated it for the last month or so), and for the price its hard to resist. I will probably cave before the week is over.

Reactions: KTMRider

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Yeah, I just pre-ordered a DNA200 mod last weekend, so that is why I haven't insta jumped on the rDNA. I do miss my large screen DNA40 G-box mod (wife has confiscated it for the last month or so), and for the price its hard to resist. I will probably cave before the week is over.
I just sold a small screen DNA40 in a cloupor I built so I have 4 large screen DNA40's and a small screen DNA40 (rDNA40). One of the reasons I'm tempted is for the large screen on a rDNA40. $110 for a rDNA40, it's really tempting. Maybe sell off my Hana v4 or the blue large screen I built.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Does the smaller Dna40 have the same larger screen as the rDna? I like the smaller form factor of the Dna, but screen size would be more important.

Anything else different between the two besides battery compartment?
I bought my rDNA 8 months ago so it has the small screen. The new ones have the large screen. I got my DNA40 last month with a large screen. They both use 18650 (LG HE2) so the only difference is the rDNA has a removable battery. The DNA40 is great to carry around and it has zip charging so it can charge the battery in about an hour (new rDNA40 has zip charging too, mine is 800ma charging). If you can deal with not being able to put in a fresh battery, the DNA40 is a great mod. That's what I grab when I'm running around doing errands.

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria
@KTMRider Have you found yourself wanting more power than the DNA 40 provides, or are you satisfied with it and mostly want the 200 for the novelty if it?

I use my rDNA primarily to drive a dual coil dripper with 26gauge coils at 33-35W. Works perfectly for me. It's a good compromise between a rich vape and battery life. I'd say 24gauge is about the limit of what can be used reasonbly well with it.
The only times i have found myself wanting more power was when i was experimenting with more crazy builds like multiple twisted strands, claptons or 24 gauge mesh builds.

I'd say it's a perfect little device for what i would consider standard applications. If your interest is chasing the biggest clouds possible, then i'd recommend something with higher power output like the SX mini or even more power, but keep in mind that you will also be going through batteries much faster.

Fiatrix

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
I use my rDNA primarily to drive a dual coil dripper with 26gauge coils at 33-35W. Works perfectly for me. It's a good compromise between a rich vape and battery life. I'd say 24gauge is about the limit of what can be used reasonbly well with it.
The only times i have found myself wanting more power was when i was experimenting with more crazy builds like multiple twisted strands, claptons or 24 gauge mesh builds.

I'd say it's a perfect little device for what i would consider standard applications. If your interest is chasing the biggest clouds possible, then i'd recommend something with higher power output like the SX mini or even more power, but keep in mind that you will also be going through batteries much faster.
Thanks for answering! I am not a cloud chaser by any means, I'm just after really good, rich flavor. I order 28 guage and the rdna 40 with a subtank mini and a magma clone, so I think I can make that work. What resistance are you usually using?

[Nooo.... I just realize my subtank and drip tip for the magma (key to making everything I just ordered work! haha, I don't have one yet) are coming all the way from the Netherlands and won't be here for a month! How did I not notice this? Lol. Mannn...]

Last edited:

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
For the Magma with 28gauge i'd start with 8 wraps on a 2.5mm diameter. Single coils should come out roughly at around 1.4Ohm, making the dual coil build about 0.7ohm. 14-16W for single, 28ish watts for dual coil should be a good starting point.
I usually go 12-14w for single and 24w for dual with those coils.

Reactions: Fiatrix

BudmanNC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
United States
I have an rDNA that I got from the Black Friday sale. I've never had any problems with it until now. I can charge it and let it sit a couple of days and the battery is completely dead. I figured the battery was going bad so I tried a battery that I know is good and the same thing happens. I've tried charging with the "zip charger" and with a XTAR charger. Has anyone had this happen?

Reactions: VapieDan

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria
I usually go 12-14w for single and 24w for dual with those coils.

Yes, those settings would likely be working just fine also. I was assuming airflow set to largest airholes. The strength of ones drag and personal preference play into it as well. Ofc there is no one shoe that fits all. :)

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
I have an rDNA that I got from the Black Friday sale. I've never had any problems with it until now. I can charge it and let it sit a couple of days and the battery is completely dead. I figured the battery was going bad so I tried a battery that I know is good and the same thing happens. I've tried charging with the "zip charger" and with a XTAR charger. Has anyone had this happen?
Never happened with mine. Did you try leaving it w/o a battery for a day or so? What's the voltage of the battery 5 mins after taking it off the charger? What's the voltage after a few days in the rDNA?

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States

There have been other reports with this issue. I would contact Vaporshark for warranty instructions.

BudmanNC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
United States
Never happened with mine. Did you try leaving it w/o a battery for a day or so? What's the voltage of the battery 5 mins after taking it off the charger? What's the voltage after a few days in the rDNA?
Have not tried leaving a battery out a couple of days yet. Battery charged two days ago in XTAR was at 4.19 when I just checked. Just took a different battery out that's been in there two days. Charged to 4.2 when I installed it. Now was 1.2 when I stuck it in the XTAR charger. o_O

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
There have been other reports with this issue. I would contact Vaporshark for warranty instructions.
I heard about it too but his is out of warranty.

Have not tried leaving a battery out a couple of days yet. Battery charged two days ago in XTAR was at 4.19 when I just checked. Just took a different battery out that's been in there two days. Charged to 4.2 when I installed it. Now was 1.2 when I stuck it in the XTAR charger. o_O
1.2v is pretty much toast (permanent damage), even if you could bring it back. Try fully charging that battery and let it sit (not in the mod) for a few days and read the voltage.

BudmanNC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
United States
I heard about it too but his is out of warranty.

1.2v is pretty much toast (permanent damage), even if you could bring it back. Try fully charging that battery and let it sit (not in the mod) for a few days and read the voltage.
Yep. That one shocked me. The others were 3.something coming out of it. It's in the charger now. We'll see what happens. I guess I need to call Vapor Shark.

Fiatrix

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
IT'S HERE!!!!!

I am so excited and intimidated at the same time, haha. My tank hasn't arrived yet, and neither has my drip tip for this rda, and the little coils/wicks the rda came with seem kinda suck but they're all I got til my wire and cotton arrive. Dripped it anyway, lol.

The coil resistance jumps around a tad... Reads anywhere from 2.5 to 2.8 on the vs at any given time. Is that normal? Could it just be that it's a poor quality wire, or have I done something wrong?

I'm also getting dry hits by the second pull with my wattage as low as 10.... I think this learning curve may be steep for me. :/ Any tips? I'm glad all I have is silica for the time being, actually. I fear I would have burned up cotton to a crisp by now.

P.S. This shark is beautiful. And to my surprise, the size and fit are absolutely perfect for my tiny hands! Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread