Vaporshark releases the DNA 40 (DNA not rDNA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
Vaporshark has just released a baby version of the rDNA 40. Somehow they squeezed a full size 18650 in that body. Not user replaceable though. I may consider this one. Even though I really don't want a 40w device.

Vapor Shark DNA (40W Version)

When the original Vapor Shark DNA was released, it took the vape world by storm. Never before had an ultra compact device been packed with so much power and battery life, or so many revolutionary and groundbreaking features. Fast forward to 2015, and we are reprising our performance with the release of the new and redesigned Vapor Shark DNA 40. The first time you hold it in your hand, you'll be impressed all over again at how much power has been condensed into its classically elegant form. Don't allow the familiar aesthetics to confuse you; nearly every component of this DNA has been upgraded and modernized. Most notably, the DNA is now powered by the DNA 40 board from Evolv, providing you the opportunity to take advantage of the incredible temperature sensing and limiting feature when using nickel wire builds or our new TSC atomizers. In an exceptional design feat, the battery has been replaced with a full size 2500 mAh, 35 Amp, LG 18650 hard wired to the DNA 40 board. As if that wasn't enough, the Vapor Shark DNA has been outfitted with Zip high speed charging capability which reduces charging to a fraction of the time normally required. From the new tactile, rubberized finish to the self adjusting solid stainless steel 510 connection; the Vapor Shark DNA is a completely new device for a completely new era.

- 120 Day Warranty
- Designed by Vapor Shark
- New Rubberized Finish
- Powered by Evolv DNA 40
- Pocket Size at 2.94 x 1.50 x 0.88 Inches
- Supports 0.16 ohm or Higher Kanthal coils
- Supports 0.1 ohm or Higher Non-Resistance coils
- Maximum Output of 23 Amps
- 40 Watts of Power
- LG 2500mAh 35A 18650 Battery
- Cast Zinc-Aluminum Alloy
- Stainless Steel 510 Connection
- Zip High Speed Charging System
- Self Adjusting Gold Plated Center Pin
- Laser-Etched Logo
- $25 Battery Replacement

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Vaporshark has just released a baby version of the rDNA 40. Somehow they squeezed a full size 18650 in that body. Not user replaceable though. I may consider this one. Even though I really don't want a 40w device.

Vapor Shark DNA (40W Version)

When the original Vapor Shark DNA was released, it took the vape world by storm. Never before had an ultra compact device been packed with so much power and battery life, or so many revolutionary and groundbreaking features. Fast forward to 2015, and we are reprising our performance with the release of the new and redesigned Vapor Shark DNA 40. The first time you hold it in your hand, you'll be impressed all over again at how much power has been condensed into its classically elegant form. Don't allow the familiar aesthetics to confuse you; nearly every component of this DNA has been upgraded and modernized. Most notably, the DNA is now powered by the DNA 40 board from Evolv, providing you the opportunity to take advantage of the incredible temperature sensing and limiting feature when using nickel wire builds or our new TSC atomizers. In an exceptional design feat, the battery has been replaced with a full size 2500 mAh, 35 Amp, LG 18650 hard wired to the DNA 40 board. As if that wasn't enough, the Vapor Shark DNA has been outfitted with Zip high speed charging capability which reduces charging to a fraction of the time normally required. From the new tactile, rubberized finish to the self adjusting solid stainless steel 510 connection; the Vapor Shark DNA is a completely new device for a completely new era.

- 120 Day Warranty
- Designed by Vapor Shark
- New Rubberized Finish
- Powered by Evolv DNA 40
- Pocket Size at 2.94 x 1.50 x 0.88 Inches
- Supports 0.16 ohm or Higher Kanthal Coils
- Supports 0.1 ohm or Higher Non-Resistance Coils
- Maximum Output of 23 Amps
- 40 Watts of Power
- LG 2500mAh 35A 18650 Battery
- Cast Zinc-Aluminum Alloy
- Stainless Steel 510 Connection
- Zip High Speed Charging System
- Self Adjusting Gold Plated Center Pin
- Laser-Etched Logo
- $25 Battery Replacement

Why would anyone want one of these with the battery hard wired to the device. I wouldn't buy one if that was the only choice. I'm checking to see if the rDna40 is still available. Was thinking about getting another but not if I can't change the battery myself. Seems like a step back instead of forward. I see they have that model for 159 but to me the 30 extra is worth it to be able to change the battery out yourself. It takes a while to charge with the USB

Last edited:

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Why would anyone want one of these with the battery hard wired to the device. I wouldn't buy one if that was the only choice. I'm checking to see if the rDna40 is still available. Was thinking about getting another but not if I can't change the battery myself. Seems like a step back instead of forward. I see they have that model for 159 but to me the 30 extra is worth it to be able to change the battery out yourself. It takes a while to charge with the USB

They aren't discontinuing the rDNA40. Like with the 30w versions before, VS is offering both models. I for one like the fact that the DNA40 is essentially Cloupor Mini in size but offers all of the features of the DNA40. The battery may be hard wired, but being a standard 18650 LG cell, changing it yourself should be quite simple once the cell begins to fail. I rather like this DNA40 model and think it's a pretty neat little unit.

eUsername

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
'Merica
Why would anyone want one of these with the battery hard wired to the device.

It's smaller than a rDNA...

The "new tactile, rubberized finish" is interesting. My DNA30 is looking pretty beatup at this point. Love the idea of a rubberized finish and that would do away with the need for a shark skin. Wonder how this finish would hold up by the 510 connection?

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
2.94 x 1.50 x 0.88 inches
3.25 x 1.67 x 0.95 inches

$159 vs. $189

not enough smaller or cheaper to give up replaceable batteries

in light of the new $62 VaporFlask clones, these prices need to come WAY down

Not to mention the $80 or less rDNA 40 clones that are going to hit any day now.

That said, had this been for sale a month ago, I'd have placed an order for the Vaporshark DNA40 and been set for mods until after CNY.

But it's a bit late now, I've got a Cloupor Mini in hand and one of those Vaporflask DNA40 clones on the way, and still had enough change left over to buy four more LG HE4s and 240ml of good ITC juice. :)

Last edited:

alistairs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2014
Castro Valley, CA, USA

They are advertising the DNA (40W) as having zip charging, same as the new rDNA40 - about an hour and a half to fully charge the battery on USB, or about twice as fast as any comparable mod, and faster than many external chargers.

Zip

Eric Auer

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2014
PA
I think it looks great.

Things that would bother me personally:

- Screen on the bottom. To me that does not seem practical at all.

- The +/- buttons look like they protrude a lot?

- "Vaporshark" logo is way too big.

Eric

Edit:

The "Zip" charging looks very nice, but will it allow passtrough?
IMHO that is a must if you can not change out the battery.

Last edited:

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
2.94 x 1.50 x 0.88 inches
3.25 x 1.67 x 0.95 inches

$159 vs. $189

not enough smaller or cheaper to give up replaceable batteries

in light of the new $62 VaporFlask clones, these prices need to come WAY down

I have both rDNA40 and DNA30 (very slightly smaller than the DNA40). It might not seem that big of a difference, it is when you handle it. If I didn't have 4 DNA40 boards coming, I'd order one. If there's a code, I'd be able to justify it much easier. I love the size of the DNA30 and the 1300mah lasts longer than you would think (because it's lipo) so it's very usable for a night out.

Last edited:

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
I think it looks great.

Things that would bother me personally:

- Screen on the bottom. To me that does not seem practical at all.

- The +/- buttons look like they protrude a lot?

- "Vaporshark" logo is way too big.

Eric

Edit:

The "Zip" charging looks very nice, but will it allow passtrough?
IMHO that is a must if you can not change out the battery.

The rDNA 30 was my first box mod. I am so used to the screen being on the bottom that having it on the side of my IPV Mini just feels weird. Don't like the logo??? Grab a silicone shark skin.

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
I have both rDNA40 and DNA30 (very slightly smaller than the DNA40). It might not seem that big of a difference, it is when you handle it. If I didn't have 4 DNA40 boards coming, I'd order one. If there's a code, I'd be able to justify it much easily. I love the size of the DNA30 and the 1300mah lasts longer than you would think (because it's lipo) so it's very usable for a night out.
It really does make a difference.

DNA 30 and rDNA 30 side by side.

23e6f6d264e5fc84e5ae91df1e26e8e7.jpg

DNA 30 in hand
a9f628f4200d43935ded9002206b47b1.jpg

rDNA 30 in hand
d82dcc34003a811c2f14102355391274.jpg

Tap'd from my LG G3

Last edited:

CBCstillmatic

Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
United States
I just think they missed the mark on price a bit. In the $100-120 range I would of gladly bought one as a back up to my rDNA 40 in case it ever needs to be sent in for repair. I'm loving the temp limiting so want another DNA 40 device for backup. The smaller size seams great to take on the go or to work but if you add on the $25 for eventual battery replacement (I wouldn't do it myself) plus the shipping to send it in I may as well just order another rDNA that isn't all that much bigger. Being it's rough to shell out another $190 just for a back up I was thinking of getting one of the $60 DNA 40 clones that could also be used as a night out device that could get beat up and I wouldn't mind so much. But $120 or under and I would have bought the authentic in a heartbeat instead.

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
No wireless charging hurts.... If I buy another vaporshark in the near future, it will have to be the rDNA 40.

In fact I love the wireless charging so much that I don't think I'll buy another mod without it. So nice to just drop it down on my nightstand when I go to bed each night with a full charge each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread