Vappower Green 30A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...only 15A+ battery, but good capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 10A-25A constant current. This cell was purchased by a friend from IMRBatteries and donated for testing. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have selected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Bottom Line
    This is a good 15A-20A continuous discharge current (CDR) high capacity cell. At 25A its temperature exceeds my safety limit of 100°C though. In my opinion this is not a 30A cell and you should not run it above 20A.

Test Results
    image.jpg

Comments
    • At 10A the discharge reached over 2700mAh. This is good capacity, average for a 3000mAh-rated cell.
    • At 15A the cell reached 73°C, a low temperature for a 15A cell being run at its CDR.
    • At 20A the cell had a high maximum temperature of 87°C. This is too high to set 20A as the CDR. The CDR seems to be between 15A and 20A.
    • At 25A the cell reached a max temperature of 101°C. This is a way too high a temperature for a cell to operate at and exceeded my safety limit of 100°C.
    • A discharge was not done at 30A due to the very high temperature seen during the 25A test.
    • An additional five cycles at 20A showed no signs of damage other than that expected from running a cell near its CDR for several cycles. But it runs too hot to set the CDR at 20A.
    • This cell's discharge curves are similar to the Samsung 30Q and LG HG2. Its top and can shape and its capacity rating of 3000mAh are the same as the HG2. This might be a rewrapped HG2.
    • I am setting a CDR of 15A+ for this cell. It runs too hot to set it at 20A but the temperature is low at 15A. The CDR is between 15A and 20A. I think you will get very good cycle life at 15A due to the low temperature at that current level. In my opinion you should not run this cell at above 20A.
    • I gave the HG2 a CDR of 20A. But after testing a lot more of the cells vapers use, it has ended up being one of the hottest running cells at its CDR. I will retest it and if the numbers are the same I will be downgrading the HG2 to a CDR of 15A+.
    • To see how other batteries have tested and how hard you can safely push any of the batteries I have tested, check out the links in my signature.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread