hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Hello! Today I’m very excited to present what I consider to be a very innovative new device from VapX. Although VapX is a fairly new company and doesn’t have a lot of products on the market yet, each one that I’ve tested so far has been very well designed and function very well. Today I will be talking about the Meteor mod from VapX that was sent to me by Clay from VapX in order to do this review. I’ll show what was included in the package I received and do my best to cover the functions even though there was not a user manual in the sample that I received.

upload_2021-1-17_12-13-34.jpg

What’s in the box?

1. Meteor 510 2000mah battery
    1. USB-C charging cable
    1. Instruction manual( not included in my sample)
    Also, I received the charging pad that can be used with the included cable to charge the Meteor using the four contacts on the mod and charging pad.

upload_2021-1-17_12-13-35.jpg

Specifications without using charging pad:

• Output power: 5-80 watts

• Battery capacity: 2000mah

• Output Voltage: .5-8 volts

• Charging current: 5v@2 amps

• Dimensions: 79.8mm x 42.8mm x 35mm

• Thread type: 510

• Resistance range: .08 – 3.0 ohms

• Display: .96” TFT color display

First Impressions:

The packaging that the Meteor arrived in was pretty standard cardboard packaging. The sample that I received only contained the mod and the USB-C cable in the mod packaging. I also received a second box that contained the charging pad that can be used to quick charge the mod with the correct USB power charger. It is recommended to use at least a 45w charger to use the fast charging function.

I thought the mod itself is very attractive looking and it was smaller than I thought it would be. On first examination of the mod, I didn’t see the charging port on the mod. It is on the same side as the firing button below where the series of arrows or chevrons or whatever they are called. The charge port is covered by a nice rubber plug that makes it very inconspicuous. The plug moves out of the way nicely so as not to be in the way when trying to plug in a charging cord.

If you have the firing button facing you then the display screen is on the right side. Not a huge deal but I mostly use my thumb to fire which places the screen in the palm of your hand not being able to see the display. However if you first finger fire then you will be able to see the display easily. Like I said, not a huge problem but for me personally I would have liked the screen on the other side.

On the opposite side of the screen is just the VapX logo. On the back is a nice leather wrap with the word METEOR embossed into the leather with red stitching going around it. On the bottom of the unit you will find four electrical contacts that are used to match up with the contacts on the charging pad. The mod is IP68 rated so I’m not sure exactly how the contacts on the bottom fit with that. I’m assuming that they are very well sealed from water, dust, and anything else. There are also what to be three venting holes on either side of the mod near the 510 connection side.

At the top of the display it shows the firing mode and battery indicator. Below that is the wattage set, coil resistance, voltage while firing, and finally puff counter. The display is very bright and easily readable in my opinion. Also, the screen brightness is adjustable which a big plus on this mod is. I wish more mods included this feature.

Five clicks of the fire button turns the mod on and off like most others. Pressing the fire button and either the + or – button simultaneously will adjust the screen brightness either up or down. Pressing the fire button three times will make the current mode flash and you can cycle through the modes using the + and – buttons. The included modes are Power, TC-NI, TC-SS, TC-TI, TCR, VPC, and Bypass. Pressing both the + and – buttons will lock those two buttons but will still allow the mod to fire. While the mode is flashing, a quick press of the fire button will scroll to resistance first and then to the puffs which then pressing the + button will clear the puff counter. You can also bring back the last puff count by pressing the + button again. I guess this is in case you accidentally erase the puff count.

The charging pad that I received with the mod included only the pad and did not come with an additional cable but the mod did so I used that cable to power the pad in order to try charging the mod on the pad. I do not own a 45 or higher watt charger to power a USB so was only able to use the 2.1 amp charger that I had. The mod recognizes the available power and charges accordingly. If you do have the correct higher output charger then the display will show a different message than just “charging”. I believe it will say super or fast charging but don’t know for sure since I don’t have the charger and no user manual was included with the mod or charging pad. I kind of feel like VapX should have included the high output charger with the pad since it is required to use the fast charge function. Part of the claim to fame of this mod is that with a 45 watt or higher charger that the mod will fully charge in 10 minutes. Yes, that’s right. Ten minute charging cycle. I may order a charger and test that for myself at a later date. If I do then I will make a post on this thread with my findings. I did use the charging pad with my available USB adapter and it took about 1.5 hours to charge. Also, there is a right way and wrong way to place the mod on the pad. Just by dumb luck, I put it on the wrong way. It didn’t hurt anything but didn’t charge. There is an arrow on one side of the charging pad and the display should face that arrow.

Final Thoughts:

I very much enjoyed testing the VapX Meteor 510 mod. I felt like it was a very nice and compact size. It’s nice that it is IP68 rated but the body isn’t rubberized so if it is dropped on a hard surface like concrete then it’s likely going to get scratched but will most likely still work. I think that VapX has a lot going for them as far as design innovation and quality of build on the devices they have released so far. The Meteor is no exception. The feeling of quality holding the mod as well as it functioning well and having nice features like brightness adjustment on the display. It seemed to fire fast and I was able to get 420 puffs using a Zeus single coil RTA with 316 flat braided coil running at 25 watts. That seemed like good battery life to me.

From what I understand, the charging pad will be sold as a separate item and I hope that VapX decides to include a high output USB charger with it. However, like I mentioned earlier, you don’t have to have a high output charger to use the base. I could see this being handy if someone wanted to keep the base plugged in at their work station and just sat the mod back on the pad between uses to keep the mod topped off at full charge. I honestly did not notice any difference in performance from start to finish of the battery charge.

Ok, so by now you’re probably thinking that this sounds great and there are no negatives or cons. Wrong. Every device has something that could be improved upon or changed. The Meteor had two things that I noticed. First of all is the raised 510 connection on the mod. When a tank is screwed on, it leaves a small gap between the mod and the base of the tank. I don’t know if this is something that will be changed on production models but the review sample I received had the gap. The second thing is something that could be just because of me but did notice. The fire button is nice and clicky but I noticed thumb firing that the top of the button feels wider than the bottom so that it tapers down from top to bottom and sometimes felt a little awkward firing the mod. I don’t notice it all the time but sometimes do. It might be because I work with my hands and by the end of the day my hands can sometimes be tired and that is when I noticed the button difference the most.

So there you have it. The VapX Meteor 510 mod with a quick charging pad. Would I recommend this device? Absolutely yes! I very much liked it and plan on keeping it in my rotation. I think that VapX is thinking outside the box and it’s refreshing to see someone come out with a new mod. I do wonder if they have any tanks on the drawing board since it would have been nice if a tank was included but I didn’t mind that too much and used one of my personal favorites.

A great big thanks to Clay and VapX for sending the Meteor 510 mod and charging pad for this review. Thanks also to the readers. You make this possible. Below is a link to the VapX website but the Meteor is not on there yet as it is so new. I’m sure it will be soon.

https://vapx.com/

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    TY, Hitt. It’s nice to have a charging pad in a reasonably priced mod. I feel like it’s safer as you’re not putting wear and tear on the usb port.

And with the right charger, you can charge fast.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread