Vegetable glycerin, Palm glycerin, Soy glycerin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Thanks, JD. :)

Last Decl. I ordered from Essential Depot the two gal. pack (1gal pg, 1 gal vg). The vg was labeled as Veg. Glycerin. Very happy with taste.

Just got in another two gal. order, but the label has "Derived from Palm" which does NOT say on their web site for this particular item.

Noticed that ED introduced Soy glycerin this past April, and so this post. :?:

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
The one you got last is the same as the new ;) Before they stated "palm" specifically, it was also palm and they've used the same source for over 5 years they state(for palm - The soy is a new source; ADM from the US, the other is probably from indonisia or malaysia where most palm is from).

No matter palm or soy-derived, it's fine. In europe, almost all VG is from rapeseed(non-GMO), btw...

In flavored juices you won't be able to tell a difference in blind-testings... Some VGs, no matter source-feedstock-used, can have a very slight taste difference compared to others, but it's firstly very slight, so you need a good palette to pick it up, and second, you only can tell when vaping it unflavored...

In short, use whatever you like... As ED themselves state on there site, then the soy offering is the best deal, but use whatever makes you happy... The active element of VG is glycerol, and glycerol is the same no matter which vegetable oil it comes from, and it's 99.7% pure min usually and the rest is water...

Last edited:

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Yes, VG from indonisia and malaysia use obviously palm as it's locally available in abundance(though they also use soy at times there I know atleast from one place), but in US and europe they can just as well use cheaper local feedstock, since which used doesn't matter anyway, than to import palm oil from e.g. malaysia for there glycerin production. Also some state to do it for the deforestation-issues, which possibly is true and not just about the money...

As i've stated before, several VG makers use different feedstock, as the price of raw material changes from crop to crop and time of year, e.g. bulk-apothecary gets either palm or soy from there supplier, varying from batch to batch and a local VG maker in my country states they and many others do the same...

Personally, if I could choose and the price was comparable, then I would also choose palm, but honestly, it's not really based on anything logical I must admit ;) As said, glycerol is glycerol and there's no soy in soy-glycerin...

Last edited:

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Nope, doesn't make any difference to me on price, jambi. Just was interested to see if any difference between any of them and why. Thank you. :)

mhertz, then what I'm gathering from your info is that there is NO difference in resulting product from what vg is made and all can be handled the same......Cool! :D

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
In general then all USP/EP VG is the same no matter which feedstock derived from, meaning it is entirelly or almost consisting of glycerol and water. However, the USP/EP monographs allows very low amounts of residual fatty acids and esters left. The fatty acids are the rest of the veg-oils when the glycerol has been distilled out. One VG I saw had 0.004(I think it's in percentage, but honestly don't know for sure), but for all practises and purposse, it's generally stated that VG/glycerin is only glycerol and water.

There are very slight taste-variations between some VGs and I don't know if it's because of the above or something else...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread