Vegetable Glycerin vs HUMCO glycerin-warning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramblin

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Columbia, Missouri
On the advice of forum members I bought HUMCO brand glycerin from Walmart. Very sweet and 99.5% pure with the mentioned USP standard on the bottle. Nice vapor. The sweetness was overpowering though.

One problem was it made me nauseous!!!
I'll say that again for emphasis. It made me nauseous!!!

One person had called HUMCO and asked if this was vegetable glycerin and if I remember correctly they said no, it was not. It says nothing on the bottle about being vegetable glycerin.

Don't do this to yourself! Almost any health food store will carry NOW brand vegetable glycerin. Mine was about $4.00 after taxes for a 4 ounce bottle and about $7.00 for a 8 ounce bottle. Just make sure it is vegetable glycerin, OK?

I don't know about the glycerin people are buying from Michaels craft store. If it doesn't say vegetable glycerin, I would not use it myself. Your mileage and experience may differ.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
I've been using the Humco daily for at least a couple of months now with no problems at all (and certainly not nausea!). I find most of my juices are too thin without it. I don't think that anyone said it had to be vegetable glycerin....just make sure it said USP so it was pure.

Sorry you had a bad experience with it. Maybe others will chime in with how it has worked for them.

Lu

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Well, with the way I use it...if there was going to be a problem, I would have known by now. I just pour it straight from the bottle because I tend to like my liquid on the thick side....I don't have time to figure it drop by drop.

Guess people have different systems....just like for people allergic to PG. Sounds like it's going to effect different people differently.

Lu

CssReb

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
USA, NYC
I've used 95.5% USP pure glycerin I bought from CVS pharmacy, found in the skincare section. It gave me a bogged down, dried out foggy headed crappy feeling.
I stopped using it.

Then I bought some glycerin from LorAnn Oils along with some flavorings and have had no problems.

There's gotta be a difference but, neither bottles indicate vegetable or otherwise.

Last edited:

Monkeylurv

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Long Island, NY
I've used 95.5% USP pure glycerin I bought from CVS pharmacy, found in the skincare section. It gave me a bogged down, dried out foggy headed crappy feeling.
I stopped using it.
That's how I feel on PG. I am waiting on Kosher USP VG (99%). I'm hoping it works out & I don't get the same problems.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Unless Glycerin is marked as vegetable it's probably made from animals. I read somewhere that it is cheaper to produce.

Based on the numerous threads on the issue, it may turn out that some people are sensitive to one or the other. I wonder what the Wilton's brand is..does anyone know?

This might be what it boils down to. I mean, look how sick some people got on PG....yet 95% of others vape it with no problem. Everyone's system is different. It's all on what your individual system can tolerate.

I have heard of a distinction between vegetable and animal glycerine but really don't know which contain what. I know the Wilton's is used in food....so it was called "food grade" but that's really all I know about it.

Lu

Elwin

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Missouri, USA
I've been using HUMCO glycerin to reduce the nicotine content of my Nicquid e-juice for about 2 days now, and have felt no ill effects.
The only other thing I've noticed is that it does tend to reduce the flavor, but also creates a cloudier, heavier vapor.

P.S. Walrus - Only Chuck Heston and Edward G. Robinson know the ingredients of Soylent glycerine, and they ain't talkin...

:)

Last edited:

Monkeylurv

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Long Island, NY
As far as I have learned, there are different types of glycerin. If something is labeled just glycerin, I would also be worried it's synthetic. It's a shame there aren't ingredients on these labels or the source of their product (thanks FDA!).

I would find the best/safest VG you can find if you're going to be inhaling this stuff! Vegetable Glycerin is usually made from Palm or Coconut oil. I've also read sometimes from Soy.

I bought USP Kosher Vegetable glycerin here (haven't used it yet):
Glycerin, Vegetable (Kosher USP) - Bulk - Wholesale
They have USP PG too.

This one is USP Kosher 100% food grade vegetable glycerin: More Than Alive - Vegetable Glycerin

I dunno, that kosher gives me a little extra assurance.

Hey Guys...
I just bought a 6oz bottle of glycerine USP from walmart, found it in the pharmacy area. I just mixed up a dropper bottle w/ some of my marbro flavor from myvaporstore.com (36mg nicotine) and refilled my empty cart, dripped 2 drops on the wick and 2 drops of straight glycerine to top of my cart. It kicks like a mule, no nausea as of yet, and the vapes are AMAZING!! Sorry to hear some of you are having adverse reactions to it though!! Like alot of members are saying, some thing DO affect certain folks differantly than the next joe. Good luck to everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread