VEGETABLE GLYCERIN vs. SYNTHETIC GLYCERIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Doc

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Torrington, CT 06790
I have determined that I do not like the Humco (synthetic) glycerin. Wilton is definitely better synthetic glycerin than the Humco. It is easily found on eBay.

Today I compared Wilton (synthetic) glycerin with the HERITAGE brand of VEGETABLE GLYCERIN which I got at a local health food store. I used each type to cut/thin some 16mG cappucino by just 25%....thus, making it 12mG. I vaped from TWO DSE601 EPIPES...SIDE-BY-SIDE.

Both vape nicely, but the Wilton is more likely to CLOGG the DSE601. The Wilton also did not preserve the original Cappucino flavor as well as the HERITAGE VG did.

So there you have it. In my side-by-side comparison, the HERITAGE brand of VEGETABLE GLYCERIN works better than the Wilton SYNTHETIC glycerin. That tells me that the HERITAGE VG probably also works better than that synthetic HUMCO stuff. I hope some folks find this helpful.

It seems likely to me that VEGETABLE GLYCERIN generally works better than SYNTHETIC GLYCERIN.

The HERITAGE VG was only about $5 for a 4 Oz/120mL bottle....yet I paid about the same price for just ONE 2 Oz/59mL bottle of the Wilton glycerin....which I'm neary certain is synthetic glycerin. Personally, I'll go with the HERITAGE VG. I've also heard that the "NOW" brand of VG is also very good. It is also sold at health food stores. I dumped my HUMCO glycerin (from WalMart) right down the toilet LOL

Last edited:

The Doc

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Torrington, CT 06790
Here's one for you~what is synthetic glycerin? How is it made, what is different from palm oil glycerin, for example. There are a few people who cannot use PG, and also claim to have very bad reactions to glycerin, why would that be.

I'm neither doctor, nor chemist nor health professional. Therefore, I'll not pretend to know the differences; no matter how vital or subtle.

What my logic does tell me is that synthetic chemicals, compounds & lubricants work extremely well in the realm of the electromechanical sciences.

However when dealing with human biology, it is better for us as biological life forms to make every effort to ingest, absorb and consume as many ORGANIC substances as feasible....as opposed to synthetic ones. With very few exceptions, this will always be an advantage. In our present technological surroundings this can be a challenging undertaking. But in the case of vaping inhalation, I simply prefer to utilize VG to cut/thin my PG based vaping juices....rather than any form of synthetic glycerin. I've not the time at present to do an elaborate research or study on the exact chemical differences; nor on the related sources and/or derivatives. I also have no idea what aspects of human biology would make someone better off with synthetics as opposed to organics...but I'm sure there are some cases for various biological reasons. My only immediate concern is what I choose to use and how it affects me in my own vaping experiences....which you can rest assured I will keep a close watch upon.

The Doc

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Torrington, CT 06790
What makes you say that the Wilton brand made it more likely to clog your atty? I make my own juice using Wilton's and I have the DSE-601. Thus far I've seen no sign of the atty getting clogged. I am not saying you aren't correct, however, you don't give any details to support your ascertation.

The juice mixed with the Wilton's was pooling up behind the atty and running a bit thicker in my side-by-side comparison......and it seemed like the Heritage VG was maintaining original flavor just a tad bit better. Both vaped for a very respectably comparable duration, so that was not an issue. Overall, the Wilton's is very good quality glyceric and I do plan on using it all up......I just happen to like the Heritage VG a bit better.

Health food stores usually carry the HERITAGE or NOW brand of VG and it is quite inexspensive unless the particular store is a rip-off with their markup.

Last edited:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I just purchased a bottle of Sunmark Glycerin (USP) from WalMart pharmacy, made or distributed by McKesson...the only reference to origin is listed as "active ingredient..Glycerin 99.5% anhydrous" so am going to assume it is a sythentic glycerine, probably? not? from vegetable sources.

This is in reference to glycerine production, vegetable, animal, petro source:
Glycerine can be produced from any fat, animal or vegetable. It is produced when soaps are made by saponification of fats, but in many cases it is not separated and remains in the soap. It is also a byproduct of biodiesel production via transesterification. In this case, it must be separated from the fatty acid methyl ester produced.

It is a relatively simple chemical

C-OH
|
C-OH
|
C-OH

It can be synthesized starting with propylene and chlorine, but with the current production of biodiesel in the world, glycerine is in surplus and this process is not economically viable. Regardless of its source - animal fat, vegetable fat, synthetic production - it is the same chemical and in its pure state you will not be able to differentiate it based on source. Since biodiesel production is currently the primary source of glycerine, and since most biodiesel is produced from vegetable fats, most of the glycerine available today is vegetable in origin. But as shown above, this really does not matter.

My theory: stay with glycerin I know is vegetable in origin, even though there is supposedly no difference between them. Opinion: Would you want a manufactured diamond or a mined diamond. No difference? That's bull, the way I see it. Maybe it's just me, but I think the human race has been subject to just about enough unknown and passed off as ok "looks-like" stuff. Just look what they did to tobacco to make cigarettes. Tobacco leaves or chemistry? It truly does literally and figuratively blow your mind!
Thanks to all for this thread.

Last edited:

PaulZ

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
I was looking at using Vegetable Glycerin as it is the kind used in baby food and organic products (food, makeup, etc.) and i happened to notice that NOW has 16 ounces for ~$8

Now, i'm a personal trainer (i know its terrible that im a PE and i smoke.. right? well, i smoked on a rare occation.. maybe.. one-two cigs per week, and i bought a vape to prevent even that from being a habit, because i loved it so much. and this wont ruin my workouts :p)

SO anyway, NOW is a supplement company that i buy my fish oil pills (omega 3-6-9) and a few other things from, and they make very high quality products. I'm heading down to the local nutrition store to pick up a bottle of VG and some vanilla extract (my favorite flavor is vanilla.. yay!) to refill my blu cartriges.

i figured 16 oz for $8 was a good deal :D

PaulZ

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
I went and picked it up today, $8.79 for 16 ounces of NOW "Vegetable Glycerine" 100% pure, i also bought McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract (2 fl ounces) for $7.50

I mixed about 80% VG with 20% vanilla extract, I have a Blu ecig so i took an old cartridge, took out the little plastic thingy, the fiberfill and rinsed it all out. I rinses off/cleaned my vaporiser too.

I used tweezers to dip the fiberfill in the solution, and pushed it back into the little clear plastic holder, the excess was conveniently squeezed out in the process of putting the fiberfill back into the holder.

Popped that back into the black cartridge (i have a black one) and took a hit.

My god does it produce a ton of smoke.
It may just be the VG i got, but the smoke output is absolutely nuts. it's two or three times how much vape i got from the first few puffs from a Blu pack (which is a decent amount) from a 4 second drag.

it tastes kinda like vanilla, but not really. It smells exactly like roasted marshmallows, so it is enjoyable :D not the vanilla i was hoping though.

would "vanilla flavoring" work instead of extract?

The Doc

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Torrington, CT 06790
I went and picked it up today, $8.79 for 16 ounces of NOW "Vegetable Glycerine" 100% pure, i also bought McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract (2 fl ounces) for $7.50

I mixed about 80% VG with 20% vanilla extract, I have a Blu ecig so i took an old cartridge, took out the little plastic thingy, the fiberfill and rinsed it all out. I rinses off/cleaned my vaporiser too.

I used tweezers to dip the fiberfill in the solution, and pushed it back into the little clear plastic holder, the excess was conveniently squeezed out in the process of putting the fiberfill back into the holder.

Popped that back into the black cartridge (i have a black one) and took a hit.

My god does it produce a ton of smoke.
It may just be the VG i got, but the smoke output is absolutely nuts. it's two or three times how much vape i got from the first few puffs from a Blu pack (which is a decent amount) from a 4 second drag.

it tastes kinda like vanilla, but not really. It smells exactly like roasted marshmallows, so it is enjoyable :D not the vanilla i was hoping though.

would "vanilla flavoring" work instead of extract?

Go on ebay and get some of the tiny bottles of LorAnn flavorings, you WON'T regret it!! Maybe you can find it at a baking supply outlet in your vicinity (not sure). A couple of drops goes a long way!! The Pralines & Cream is very sweet!

Windsage

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2010
Florida
Vegetable based glycerin is becoming more and more common as more companies manufacture bio-diesel. To make bio-diesel from vegetable oil, you simply remove the glycerin from the vegetable oil. Most people that use home made bio-diesel just throw out the glycerin, but as more factories make the stuff, you will see the price of glycerin continue to fall.

All of that said, if it doesn't say Glycerin USP, anhydrous 99.5% on it, I won't buy it.

The Doc said:
I have determined that I do not like the Humco (synthetic) glycerin. Wilton is definitely better synthetic glycerin than the Humco. It is easily found on eBay.

Today I compared Wilton (synthetic) glycerin with the HERITAGE brand of VEGETABLE GLYCERIN which I got at a local health food store. I used each type to cut/thin some 16mG cappucino by just 25%....thus, making it 12mG. I vaped from TWO DSE601 EPIPES...SIDE-BY-SIDE.

Both vape nicely, but the Wilton is more likely to CLOGG the DSE601. The Wilton also did not preserve the original Cappucino flavor as well as the HERITAGE VG did.

So there you have it. In my side-by-side comparison, the HERITAGE brand of VEGETABLE GLYCERIN works better than the Wilton SYNTHETIC glycerin. That tells me that the HERITAGE VG probably also works better than that synthetic HUMCO stuff. I hope some folks find this helpful.

It seems likely to me that VEGETABLE GLYCERIN generally works better than SYNTHETIC GLYCERIN.

The HERITAGE VG was only about $5 for a 4 Oz/120mL bottle....yet I paid about the same price for just ONE 2 Oz/59mL bottle of the Wilton glycerin....which I'm neary certain is synthetic glycerin. Personally, I'll go with the HERITAGE VG. I've also heard that the "NOW" brand of VG is also very good. It is also sold at health food stores. I dumped my HUMCO glycerin (from WalMart) right down the toilet LOL

Oops accidental post.. Sorry. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkiy

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Synthetic glycerin is petroleum-based, where natural glycerin—such as that produced during biodiesel production—is created from fats and oils.
Quote from Biodiesel Magazine
I'm not a coffee snob, and don't see me becoming a glycerin snob either. :vapor: Haven't been in a health food store in 30 years, but I do go to Wal Mart and CVS now and then. Especially since there appears to be no easy way to be sure of the means of production, availability wins out for me. I don't see anywhere in this thread where anyone had anything but speculation to offer. They're essentially the same substance, regardless of the means of manufacture. USP is good enough for me.

Good information here: Why Glycerine USP?, including a discussion of what glycerin is, and the means of production.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread