Vegtable Glycerine VS. propyleneglycol

Status
Not open for further replies.

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
PG makes great vapor, but a lot of it disappears after inhale, and it dissipates quickly in the air.
It has very little taste, and is a bit thicker than water.
It is the main ingredient in all the e-juice except ones specifically labelled non-PG
PG is safe, according to MOST sources. Words like "mutigenic" appear on some MSDS.

VG makes GREAT vapor, tons of vapor even after inhaling, and leaves copious clouds of "smoke" in the air for a long time after exhale.
But it buries flavors quite a bit more than PG, and it leaves a bit of aftertaste in your mouth that you may or may not like.
VG is very thick, add too much and you'll need water as well, or your fluid may not wick quick enough to keep your atomizer coil wet.
VG also supposedly leaves a lot more residue on the atomizer, so possibly less life
No known safety issues, no scary words on MSDS

You don't actually need much VG to make a lot of "smoke", I have some zero carts I made that are pure PG, with a couple drops of VG per ML to give it a good smokey appearance.

Last edited:

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
I originally bought glycerin labelled as "glycerinum" in a local Slovak pharmacy and it gave me quite a bad time with my digestion. Then a good soul got me VG from UK Boots which is actually aimed at healing sore throat (says on the bottle) and everything was much, much better. Pity I could not find a way to buy it online.

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
Im in Denmark, and i can probably buy it the glycerol at several stores. But what about the flavour and my nicotine. Do i mix it with PG e-juice or what? Sorry im a bit confused :p
If you are happy with the e-juice, you do nothing. If not, you mix VG with the juice to make it weaker (to lower the nicotine content). This will give you more vapour, too.

Or you use VG to make your own zero-nicotine liquid to vape in between nicotine (or instead of nicotine, if you want to lose the addiction).

DIY e-liquid - e-cigarette-forum.com • The place for electronic cigarette reviews, news and chat

efaglil

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Is there not a high street shop you can walk into and buy PG ?

Hi Typan, I'm not aware of one. I usually just buy it online. The glycerin you can buy from Boots, the brand I have is Care+ and I believe that it's the pharmaceutical grade that Frankie's talking about.

Im in Denmark, and i can probably buy it the glycerol at several stores. But what about the flavour and my nicotine. Do i mix it with PG e-juice or what? Sorry im a bit confused :p

Hi Whippi, for myself I use them to dilute e-liquids to make them a little less strong. So if I use it on 36mg in a 50/50 ratio the Nic rating will be approx 18mg.

If you're interested in making your own nicotine there's a thread on the board dedicated to it. See the DIY thread. It's not for me though, looks too dangerous! I expect you could only buy it privately if you had a license as it's highly poisonous.

For flavourings see the Lorann Flavours thread.

Hope this helps

Lil

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
I prefer something that is primarily aimed at consumption ("oral administration")
Weegie Burd found details of the one I use at the moment. It seems to be perfect for e-liquid:
Glycerin BP/Value Health Glycerin BP (Boots Company plc) , SPC from the eMC

Aby idea how to get that?

Frankie, I got both vegetable glycerin (kosher, USP) and propylene glycol from this place, which does international shipping (link is to their shipping information page):

Natural Bulk Cosmetic Bases * Soap Making * Soapmaking Supplies * Essential Oils * Bulk Bases * Soap * Private Labeling * Contract Packaging * Soap Making Supplies

The vg is quite cheap; $3.65 for 16 ozs, and other sizes available too. While I have no idea how expensive the international shipping is, it may be worth your while to ask them.

Here's the direct link to the vg:

Glycerin, Vegetable (Kosher USP) - Bulk - Wholesale

efaglil

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Hi Frankie,

I was just looking online for you @ Boots and couldn't find it listed there except for the prescriptions section as you say. I think my wording of the above has misled you. I meant the PG was bought online though it doesn't read that way. I bought the pharmaceutical grade glycerin I have at the store. I bought the vegetable glycerin from ebay.

Cheers,

Lil

Need to ask you all a question actually 2 questions. Seen as I am still waiting for my menthol e juice.
1st question when your cartridges are empty do any of you fill them with Glycerin? to continue the smoking.
and my last question regarding the menthol glycerin, I decided to go for the 36mg 15ml bottle, how long would a 15ml bottle last roughly and is 36mg something that is comparable to smoking rollies which is what i used to smoke.

Many thanks

efaglil

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Need to ask you all a question actually 2 questions. Seen as I am still waiting for my menthol e juice.
1st question when your cartridges are empty do any of you fill them with Glycerin? to continue the smoking.
and my last question regarding the menthol glycerin, I decided to go for the 36mg 15ml bottle, how long would a 15ml bottle last roughly and is 36mg something that is comparable to smoking rollies which is what i used to smoke.

Many thanks

Hi Giuseppe,

I completely agree with Frankie. 36mg might be a bit too strong if you haven't tried it before. See my-first-try-36mg-liquid for a current thread on the same subject.

I don't think it's a good idea to just to use glycerin on it's own either. It's a bit thick and may clog up your atomiser. Some people use distilled water to dilute others use alcohol such as absinthe or vodka. I've used all and each works well.

Best,

Lil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread