The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Vendor hacked? Be careful with cc

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Bostonsnboxers, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Bostonsnboxers

Bostonsnboxers Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 9, 2011
    NW OH, US
    I hope the title gets the attention of most w/o being melodramatic. I have a cc that I use strictly for grocery shopping (Kroger), Amazon shopping and purchasing my ecig supplies. No one else but my husband has access to this card, and I am not a newbie with computers..I do not have a virus, nor have I fallen prey to phishing.

Yesterday it came to my attention that someone living in another state attempted to place an online order using my cc (my billing address, phone#, etc) for over $350 worth of merchandise from a 'surf shop'. I have spent hundreds in the last 2 months on ecig/diy supplies from ECF approved vendors only, and believe that one of their sites has been hacked. I am NOT accusing anyone, nor will I name any of the multiple vendors that I've given my info to on this board OR through pm, so please don't ask. It could happen to the most honest of vendors..

This has been taken care of..cc cancelled and new one received express mail this morning, but I urge you ALL to keep an eye out on your statements for suspisious activity. I had alerts set up to email me with each online/phone transaction but they still managed to sneak one transaction by.

Be careful, and diligent! :)

2. washvap

washvap Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2011
    wa
    Thanks for the notice. It's something we should all be careful about.

3. markfm

markfm Aussie Pup Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    CC stuff is tough. Just a couple days ago I got email from Zappos, an Amazon subsidiary, that hackers had gotten into their system. Supposedly "just" name, addy, last 4 digits of credit card, but ehh...

4. kaykay

kaykay Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    concrete jungle
    wow u too,i too have ordered from a couple of places...and my info was stolen some one made a 300 purchase @ a home depot in stl. when i live in nyc.....be careful ppl.

5. bassworm

bassworm Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2011
    It may not have been from a vendor being hacked, it could have been a thief monitoring network traffic that your transaction went across, it could have been a side loaded virus from the interwebs that was sophisticated enough to bypass even the best antivirus -

Then again, someone behind you at kroger in the checkout could have been pretending to use their phone and actually taking a picture / video of your card as you pulled it out to swipe it, I doubt this is a possibility, but they have magnetic card readers that work across radio waves, all someone would have to do is just have the device activated and walk past you...

either way, good luck, stay diligent.

6. Strigoi

Strigoi Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 12, 2010
    Martinez, CA
    This happened awhile ago and a bunch of us got nailed by someone. Luckily I caught it quick and they only charged a couple hundred on my card, which was taken care of without issue. I talked to both vendors I'd used and both of them used the same merchant account to process the credit cards and believed it was done through there (basically, not on the vendors end). The charges happened a day after I bought ecig stuff and I hadn't used the card for weeks before that, which lead me to believe that it was from one of those orders.

7. twohandedcreations

twohandedcreations Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2011
    orlando florida
    yea, there's so many ways for crooks to get access to card #'s, Its happened to both my parents and my singer in my band over the last 3 weeks. unfortunately your cc is at just as much risk with amazon as it is with any small vendor. Bassworm is correct, your card # is in just as much risk now-a-days being in your pocket out in public as it is typing your # in to the computer. The directions to purchase and build card reader's that steal #'s just by being within 10ft of the card, can be found right here on the internet....! So you can assume it was a vendor that got hacked but the reality is that the card # could have been stolen from anywhere, even from your own pocket! the ONLY defense is to monitor your activity DAILY!

8. spider362

spider362 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Check to see if your CC company offers a virtual credit card.

Mine offers "Shop Safe", so when I order online I get a specific CC number (different from my parent one) that I give to that vendor. When I get the virtual number I place controls on it such as upper limit and expiration date. Once this number is used by the vendor it will not be accepted anywhere else.

Citi offers one, I think. Go to your account, click "Tools" and look for something like "virtual, single use, or temporary cc number".

9. denali_41

denali_41 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der

those card number stealing devices are a lot more common then you'd think..they make a case for cc now that can block those readers effectively

monitoring is the only true way to protect yourself,,or go without a cc ??

10. Bostonsnboxers

Bostonsnboxers Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 9, 2011
    NW OH, US
    I understand the many ways a cc# can be stolen. My purpose in posting was to alert ppl to be careful, and to monitor their activity. I have my reasons for believing it was directly related to my ecig purchases, but that doesn't matter..just wanted to remind everyone to be careful. :)

11. Jimi D.

Jimi D. ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 26, 2010
    Florida Keys
    Thanks for that info...

12. Dieseler

Dieseler ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Illinois
    Thanks for the reminder we all need to be aware thats for sure. :)

13. AzIrish

AzIrish Moved On

Nov 23, 2011
    Tucson
    I got a pre-paid card a few weeks ago. I feel much safer when I placed my last order. I also changed my Amazon and paypal account to pre-paid as well.

14. Corpa

Corpa Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    California
    I had this happen last year. Someone charged over $300 for electronic equipment plus $200 at iTunes. Thank goodness my credit union caught it and so did Apple so the charge never made it to my account. The credit union tracked it to Delta Airlines where I purchased tickets.

Since that happened I now use the On Screen Keyboard when entering any confidential information on forms. This prevents trojan viruses from tracking/recording every character you type.

If you don't know where to find it, look under Programs then Accessories then Ease of Access and you'll see it.

15. bassworm

bassworm Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2011
    Thats an interesting idea corpa but its not a failsafe if the trojan or malware is written to monitor data on the http:// forms and collect it before the data actually posts to the website then it wont matter on the input method. More and more attacks are designed to not work on the operating system level but within the browser(s) and their functionality, I mean how much time to people spend actually outside of their web browsers these days?

now that Im thinking about it that idea reminds me of when people would switch off of a wireless phone to a wired one to give a CC#

16. Corpa

Dec 26, 2011
    California
    Very true bassworm however every tiny step we take helps to insure our security. Nothing is fool proof. Making sure when you do enter private information is on a secure Web site i.e. (https not http.) Using antivirus and firewall software. Delete history and tracking cookies on a regular basis so they won't be able to monitor your browsing habits. I also use Malwarebytes in addition to a firewall and antivirus.

However the truth is if the bad guys want it bad enough, they most likely will get it.

17. Big Screen D

Big Screen D Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Georgia
    Thanks for the heads up.

I use one card for almost all purchases from a cup of coffee, to large online purchases. My daily routine includes logging into my banking account and at least glancing at recent transactions including my credit card transactions.

18. Corpa

Dec 26, 2011
    California
    Ditto Big Screen D, I do the same especially after experiencing it in the past.

19. ambientech

ambientech Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 27, 2011
    somewhere
    My card just got hacked today. This is the second time it has happened to me. They emptied my checking and I have many payments going to bounce.

20. twohandedcreations

twohandedcreations Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2011
    orlando florida
    I've been thinking about just getting prepaid cards, you can get'em at any local 5&dime/convenient stores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.