Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
“I care about the fact that we know that teenagers are the most price-sensitive consumers,” he said. “And we need to make it so that fewer teenagers are able to do this.”

Eh? If teenagers were price-sensitive, the juul would not be their preferred vape! juul pods at $4+ for 0.7 ml of liquid are already dang expensive compared to any refillable device.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
“I care about the fact that we know that teenagers are the most price-sensitive consumers,” he said. “And we need to make it so that fewer teenagers are able to do this.”

Eh? If teenagers were price-sensitive, the Juul would not be their preferred vape! Juul pods at $4+ for 0.7 ml of liquid are already dang expensive compared to any refillable device.
I ran out of liquid a couple weeks ago and resorted to a juul. I’m used to small RDAs and Kayfuns. I went through 16 of the 3% pods in about three days $$$$

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I ran out of liquid a couple weeks ago and resorted to a juul. I’m used to small RDAs and Kayfuns. I went through 16 of the 3% pods in about three days $$$$
I tried a Juul way back when they were new and all the pods were 5%. I could not imagine going through more than two of them a day. But hey, people are different. FWIW, I also use small (MTL) BF RDAs and go through about 5 ml of 13mg (now) and 15mg (back then).

As far as running out: I've never come anywhere close. I start to get antsy when I open my last 120ml bottle. That means it's time to mix more! :)

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Raising Taxes to curb a behavior is a Time Honored technique. And it is Very Effective when the Numbers Show that there was significant reduction in Sales of the Taxed Product.

Now of course, those Numbers aren't really giving one the Complete Picture. Because they Don't take into account the sale of Products that were Not Taxed.

But the Way you get around this is you Just Don't Mention that. Instead, you just give the public Emotional Sound Bites...

"City officials say they are aware of the huge extent of the illegal sales, but defend high cigarette taxes as saving lives.

New York State Department of Taxation and Finance officials declined comment.

Still, the Empire State, the report says, “is the highest net importer of smuggled cigarettes, totaling 56.8 percent of total cigarette consumption in the state.”

https://nypost.com/2017/11/11/nyc-is-the-cigarette-smuggling-capital-of-the-us-study/

Raising Taxes to curb a behavior is a Time Honored technique. And it is Very Effective when the Numbers Show that there was significant reduction in Sales of the Taxed Product.

Now of course, those Numbers aren't really giving one the Complete Picture. Because they Don't take into account the sale of Products that were Not Taxed.

But the Way you get around this is you Just Don't Mention that. Instead, you just give the public Emotional Sound Bites...

"City officials say they are aware of the huge extent of the illegal sales, but defend high cigarette taxes as saving lives.

New York State Department of Taxation and Finance officials declined comment.

Still, the Empire State, the report says, “is the highest net importer of smuggled cigarettes, totaling 56.8 percent of total cigarette consumption in the state.”

https://nypost.com/2017/11/11/nyc-is-the-cigarette-smuggling-capital-of-the-us-study/

That sounds suspiciously similar to what happens with drugs across the entire world. Increasing taxes or outright banning just seems to drive up the cost and introduces bad elements.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
" By imposing a tax so high that it will shut down many or all of Vermont’s existing vapor retail stores, Gov. Scott is breaking his promise to voters and leaving adult smokers behind.”
re: VTDigger
Most states have underage nicotine consumption laws on the books now. Why don't states just enforce these underage laws in retail sales, and if need be, make them more severe? Stopping retail nicotine sales to minors would go along way to solving the problem.
I see no problem in taxing, good government cost money, it just should be fair to all state consumers. Taxing does not need to be a weapon of hate, it should be a fair way to help all citizens to pursue happiness.

Reactions: zoiDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread