Vermont legislation (H 632) would ban the sale and possession of e-cigarettes by adults

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Vermont legislation (H 632) would ban the sale and possession of e-cigarettes by adults (but not cigarettes).
http://www.leg.state.vt.us/docs/2014/Bills/Intro/H-632.pdf

The bill hasn't been assigned to a committee yet, but will let folks know when that occurs.

Please note that we've already defeated a dozen bills in 8 states since 2009 that would have banned e-cig sales to adults.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Do not evade forum censors to use offensive language

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Unnecessary

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Actually if you read it...It says will have to have a license and no sales for those under age of 18

Actually, if you read it... that applies to tobacco products.

For tobacco substitutes and electronic cigarettes:

9 An act relating to banning the sale or possession of electronic cigarettes

10 It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:

11 Sec. 1. 7 V.S.A. § 1012 is added to read:
12 § 1012. TOBACCO SUBSTITUTES; ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES
13 (a) A person shall not sell or possess tobacco substitutes.
14 (b) A person who violates subsection (a) of this section shall be subject to a
15 civil penalty of not more than $100.00 for a first offense and not more than
16 $500.00 for a second or subsequent offense.

This is a different section, going by the verbiage and section numbers. :)

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
A complete ban? Are people getting too healthy for them? There is simply no good reason for that.

We are doing ourselves a huge disservice by eliminating discussion about which party is pushing these types of bills.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

It's not political, it's just that one group of politicians feel they need to control every aspect of your lives and develop methods of marketing higher taxes on every aspect to insure you either abide or pay. Plus let's face it, keeping people alive longer has no advantage to society.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Actually, if you read it... that applies to tobacco products.

For tobacco substitutes and electronic cigarettes:

9 An act relating to banning the sale or possession of electronic cigarettes

10 It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:

11 Sec. 1. 7 V.S.A. § 1012 is added to read:
12 § 1012. TOBACCO SUBSTITUTES; ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES
13 (a) A person shall not sell or possess tobacco substitutes.
14 (b) A person who violates subsection (a) of this section shall be subject to a
15 civil penalty of not more than $100.00 for a first offense and not more than
16 $500.00 for a second or subsequent offense.

This is a different section, going by the verbiage and section numbers. :)

So, if I have to resort to eating carrot sticks if I can't buy e-cigs, then it would seem that carrot sticks would fit the definition of "tobacco substitutes". Does chewing on your pen warrant a $500.00 fine? And wouldn't Chantix, Nicorette and patches also qualify as "tobacco substitutes"?

Am I missing something or is this piece of legislation on the surface at patently stupid as it... really is? :blink:

"Oh no - not those tobacco substitutes, those tobacco substitutes." Yeah... right. :glare:

Last edited:

tommy2bad

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Kilkenny
It seems in their desire to rid the world of tobacco they think of e-cigarettes as a way for tobacco companies to remain in business and it a line they want to stop before it becomes a means of avoiding complete ruin. Two things wrong with their thinking; 1; preventing the harm from smoking should be their goal, not the destruction of the tobacco industry, 2; they have a snowball in hells chance of achieving their desired goal.

Requiring a licence and sales restriction to minors is reasonable, refusing a licence to e-cigarettes while giving one for cigarettes is so stupid it beggars belief.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Bill, thanks for this. How can I track this bill? I usually spend most of Aug. in VT at a family house on a lake and have relatives who live in VT. I alerted VT Vapors, a B&M I hoped to visit this summer, so they can spread the word too. For those of us who visit VT regularly - from skiers, to leaf peepers and summer residents - making possession subject to a $100 fine (and $500 for subsequent) is crazy.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Rickajho inquired:

then it would seem that carrot sticks would fit the definition of "tobacco substitutes". Does chewing on your pen warrant a $500.00 fine? And wouldn't Chantix, Nicorette and patches also qualify as "tobacco substitutes"?

Please note the Vermont Statute's current definition of "tobacco substitute" applies to all e-cigs that contain nicotine, but doesn't appear to apply to e-liquid or vaporizers that don't contain nicotine.

The Vermont Statutes Online

(8) "Tobacco substitute" means products including electronic cigarettes or other electronic or battery-powered devices that contain and are designed to deliver nicotine or other substances into the body through inhaling vapor and that have not been approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration for tobacco cessation or other medical purposes. (Added 1991, No. 70, § 2, eff. May 1, 1992; amended 1999, No. 89 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 2007, No. 114 (Adj. Sess.), § 3; 2011, No. 166 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; 2013, No. 14, § 1.)

So while H 632 would ban the sale and possession of most "cigalikes" (and all nicotine containing e-cigs), it wouldn't ban the sale or possession of e-liquid or vaporizers (that don't contain nicotine) if sold and stored separately.

Although I cannot fathom an adult being cited for possessing an e-cig containing nicotine (especially since the only way a nonuser could tell if an e-cig contained nicotine is by getting a judge to sign a search warrant, seize the product and test it (which I also cannot envision), we need to kill this bill as it would set a terrible precedent.

Please note that we've defeated all 12 bills introduced in 8 different states since 2009 that would have banned the sale of e-cigs to adults. Let's keep our record perfect.

Last edited:

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
I haven't figured out how to get updates automatically, but I found tracking information on the VT website:
The Vermont Legislative Bill Tracking System

It was just referred to the House Committee on Human Services who will review it, hold hearings and decide on the merits of the bill. The members of the committee are:

HOUSE COMMITTEE ON HUMAN SERVICES (Room 46)
Pugh of South Burlington, Chair
Haas of Rochester, Vice Chair
Donahue of Northfield, Ranking Member
Batchelor of Derby
Burditt of West Rutland
Frank of Underhill
French of Randolph
Krowinski of Burlington, Clerk
McFaun of Barre Town
Mrowicki of Putney
Trieber of Rockingham

I'm going to watch this link to see when it comes up on their meeting agenda: Vermont Legislature

If anyone can make to Montpelier to speak when it's posted, be prepared - the agenda from another date has this at the top:
ATTENTION WITNESSES- Please email handouts to the committee assistant before your scheduled meeting date and bring 5 hard copies. Please write your name, organization, date and title each document. With few exceptions, any documents you hand out to a committee, or send to a committee assistant, are open to the public and may be posted to the committee’s webpage.

Now if I could only find the committee's webpage. I've seached and searched!

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
A complete ban? Are people getting too healthy for them? There is simply no good reason for that.

We are doing ourselves a huge disservice by eliminating discussion about which party is pushing these types of bills.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

You can discuss the person/s responsible for starting/sponsoring these bills. Just don't let it dissolve into a partisan free-for-all of this party vs that party hate posts. That does no one any good, and is against TOS.

Sent while Moderating ECF via Tapatalk 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread