Very easy LED(sort of) mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magus86

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
Myerstown, PA
Okay, this is very very simple, and I just thought of it now. I noticed those two little notches on the end cap of my 510 and L88B batteries, and I started thinking about changing the LEDs. I did a search for information about it but couldn't find much of anything. So then I thought what if I try to paint the inside of the endcap a different color, or put something in between the LED and the endcap since I'm not much of a tech guy when it comes to hardware. That's when I spotted my bag of candy with generic butterscotch candies in it that come in the yellow wrapper... So, if you can't tell where this is going yet, I took the yellow wrapper from the butterscotch candy and folded it over itself a few times to make a nice deep yellow color and cut it to fit inside the battery shaft and under the endcap. I now have a 510 auto battery with a yellow LED(sort of). Candy wrappers, colored cellophane of any kind can be used. It works best with a white LED, of course. I guess if you wanted to you could put a red piece of cellophane inside the cap of a battery with a blue LED and make it purple. Anyway, it's a very cheap and easy mod that took about a minute.

Also, I don't know if this is consistent across the board, but my auto battery end cap took almost no effort at all. I popped it off by putting a mini flathead screwdriver in one of the notches. However, my 2 manual batteries aren't so easy. I can't seem to get them off. I tried a hair dryer as was suggested in another thread, but it didn't work. I don't want to ruin it, so maybe I just didn't hold the hair dryer there long enough, or mine just isn't strong enough(it's an old POS my dad probably got at an auction). Anyway, feel free to try the hairdryer if you encounter the same thing, but I'll just leave my other batteries the way they are for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread