VG Pipe Tobacco Essence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I should say up front I am in general not a fan of tobacco flavored juices. Tried several and didn't like any of them much. This pipe tobacco essence is to me delicious and very useful as a flavor on its own and with other flavors.

What you need:

A 10-12 mL syringe
A cotton ball
A small sauce pan
A stove, preferably gas for better heat control
VG, about 30 mL
Pipe tobacco...I used Stanwell Melange for one and a bulk cherry tobacco for another. Two heaping table spoons is about what I used, but I didn't really measure closely.
Dropper bottles

Put the VG in the pan, and bring it to just boiling with some visible bubbles rising. Remove from the heat and add the tobacco, swirling it around to soak all of it. Put it back on very low heat and bring it slowly back up to just simmering (a couple bubbles but not lots of boiling). Let it simmer for 30 seconds, then remove from heat, cover, and let it sit overnight.

The mix will be very dark the next day. Heat it up a bit to get it flowing, then decant the liquid into the syringe with the cotton ball shoved down into the bottom. The cotton will act as a filter. The liquid will look like dark honey. Fill the syringe and put the plunger in, and press the liquid through the cotton into a dropper bottle. You can press liquid out of the tobacco in the pan, so it flows to one side, then decant this into the syringe as well, and press it through the cotton into the dropper bottle. 30 mL of VG made for me about 20 mL of liquid, with the rest held by the tobacco, which did not press out. I avoided really squeezing the liquid out to minimize any vegetable matter in the liquid.

This liquid is likely very low in nic or the other alkaloids, but it is huge with flavor. This liquid, which I call pipe tobacco essense, is a VG-based flavoring now. I like it at about 30% in a juice I make with unflavored nic juice and distilled water to thin, but my favorite way to have this essence is to put a few drops in my cart, then a few drops of a high-nic juice I make with Capella Caramel, then a few drops of essence and a few drops of the caramel juice. This is easily the most satisfying juice I make, even without nic. One could vape it straight, which is really excellent, but it is thick and best thinned a bit. I dedicate an atty/cart for it as I have found tobacco juices do require more atty-cleaning than most other juices, and the flavor is quite rich.

I've had others try it that are familiar with my mixes, and everyone says this is the best one I've made. I find it really relaxing and so very very satisfying that I am wondering if the hot VG is actually getting the alkaloids out. The chemistry says I shouldn't be, but no juice I make makes me forget to smoke as well as this one. Perhaps the deep sweet tobacco flavor is creating an effective illusion. Regardless, I absolutely adore this essence.

YMMV with relative amounts of VG and tobacco, but both are cheap, and its really hard to go wrong with this. I have not experimented much with relative amounts or cook-time...my first batch was so good with this recipe that I've just been vaping it, and a little goes a very long way.

Hope other DIYers try this and love it too!

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Kurt, I will have to try this because I am a huge fan of tobacco flavors. I liked the Tasty Vapor Tobacco liquid, produced by simply soaking tobacco in PG for a week, but it would be better with more strength. This method seems to fill the bill.

You use only VG liquids, don't you? Never tried using PG for a batch?

I don't have any PG to try, Max. Even the PG in some flavorings will start to irritate my mouth. PG is possibly a better solvent for tobacco flavors, at least at room temp, but I'm sticking to VG as much as possible. As I said, though, this is not a juice, it is a flavoring liquid. I could have let this soak for longer, but that which I made is quite delicious to me. The heat seems to jump start the flavor extraction, without cooking it too much by the time I remove the pan from the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread