Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
So I got my boyfriend to try vaping for a week (trying to quit smoking cigs) which seemed to be working out for him, but then he reported that his throat was feeling very irritated and tight, and he had trouble swallowing AND it made him feel nauseous. Not sure if these are common symptoms for PG allergy but he said he wanted to continue using ecigs but just couldn't if it made him feel that way and bought a pack of ciggies. Do you think all VG or more VG liquids would help? He used the liquids I have which is usually a 70/30 PG/VG mix or 50/50. I want him to continue vaping instead of going back to the smokes so I'm thinking of buying some all VG liquid? If so, what vendors sell 100% VG liquid in good tobacco flavors? Thanks.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Usually when a new Vaper gets nauseous, it is from getting too much nicotine. At first it takes a little bit to judge what amount of nic you should be vaping because unlike real cigs, there is no beginning and end point like there is with a real cig. I would recommend he cut back on his nic slightly and see if that helps. Some people are sensitive to PG and prefer all VG also, but most likely the nausea is from too much nic.

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
try boba's bounty from ave its all VG

and if its not the PG/VG that's bothering him (I remember not felling well in the beginning think its from being a heavy smoker also as a side not it might be easier if he cuts back in steps)

but if its not that Boba's has a good ciglike quality and is quite infesting it may make him want it

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
The difficulty swallowing - especially if it was a sensation of his throat closing up - could be a symptom of a very serious allergic reaction. Chronic nausea has also been reported, possibly leading to vomiting. (Been there, done that.) It's not necessarily an indicator of nicotine OD, especially if the nausea starts very shortly after the first vape of the day.

Ok, he might have a problem with PG. People seem to fall into two broad classes on this one. Those people who can tolerate the amount of PG known to be in some flavorings, representing possibly up to 20% of a liquids total makeup. (That would be me. But I do take antihistamines every day due to other allergy issues.) And those unfortunate few who have a severe reaction to any PG in their liquids at all.

All he can do it try stuff with what is either called "high VG", or mistakenly 100 VG at some places - even though their flavorings may contain PG. If those don't work out well enough for him you have to head for the places that explicitly state everything in their liquids is 100 VG, right down to the flavorings.

If he likes 'baccy flavors the first place on my list for him to try is The Vapor Room. They have what they call a "100 VG" option. But this is one of the places with a "gotcha" attached to that. The only stuff they sell that is truly 100 VG, right down to the flavorings, is their tobacco stuff. And only the tobaccos that don't have any extras in them - like Vanilla Tobacco, Hazelnut Tobacco etc.

Fortunately they have a lot of excellent tobacco flavors! :) As a 100 VG user I love them all.

Also, at The Vapor Room site they have an FAQ posted up there about the ingredients. For their other flavors where there is PG in the flavoring base, the percentage of PG in their liquids is as low as only 5% - a lot less than most places where it's closer to 20%. If you have any specific questions you can e-mail them from the site for more info.

If you are considering The Vapor Room shout back here or send me a PM and I'll advise how to get the best deal on a first time customer order.

Last edited:

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Thank you Rick, that sounds about right. I don't think its too much nicotine as I started him off with 18mg liquid and then switched to 12mg (what I typically use). He doesn't vape constantly, usually just a few drags as much as you would smoking a cigarette I suppose. I will try the 100% VG and see if that helps. Hopefully the very small % of PG won't matter that much in some flavorings. He never had a problem taking an occasional puff of my stuff, it only started happening when he really tried to replace his cig breaks with the e-cig only and was using it more often. He did say the feeling went away once he stopped vaping and it only happened after he vaped.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
sounds like what happened to me...

got lucky at first and got mostly VG strong juice (before I even knew the difference)

then got some PG stuff and got sic, sore throat (bad) and severe dehydration

boy I learned quick and now use 80%VG at the best :)

some different bottles with different levels of nic sitting around helped me too till I figured it out

hope you get it figured out

Last edited:

jrenae4

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
ES, MD
Heather's Heavenly Vapes Purity line includes tobaccos and those are VG based, so you can set any ratio.

Velvet Cloud Vapor is 100% VG and their tobaccos are renowned.

The Plume Room and some others offer high VG juices, but those 2 ^^^^ are the top ones for tobaccos.

2nd these first 2 as well. No experience with Plume Room :)

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Thank you Rick, that sounds about right. I don't think its too much nicotine as I started him off with 18mg liquid and then switched to 12mg (what I typically use). He doesn't vape constantly, usually just a few drags as much as you would smoking a cigarette I suppose. I will try the 100% VG and see if that helps. Hopefully the very small % of PG won't matter that much in some flavorings. He never had a problem taking an occasional puff of my stuff, it only started happening when he really tried to replace his cig breaks with the e-cig only and was using it more often. He did say the feeling went away once he stopped vaping and it only happened after he vaped.

Yeah, that sounds about right - in a bad way. :( My entire career with high PG liquids lasted all of four days. I was constantly nauseous - mild, but chronic. By day three these intense, random, fits of itching broke out out my hands and forearms. (That is also a known allergic reaction to PG - in or out of context of vaping.) Day four I picked up my PV and no more than a half dozen drags later WHAM! Nausea, vomiting, the intense itching thing, and difficulty breathing - it felt like my lungs were lined with wet cheesecloth or something. Put the PV down and all the symptoms went away over a two hour period.

That was enough to scare me off trying anything for the next three days. I researched allergic reaction on ECF, asked a buncha questions and - timidly - started vaping again with a high VG liquid. No problems. Ok - vape vape vape vape... nothing returned. Considering both the PG and VG liquids I had were the same nic level that pretty much rules out the question of it was a "too much nic" problem. It wasn't.

This isn't to freak out all the newbies, looking for problems that aren't there. Fortunately bad reactions to PG are the exception - not the rule. However allergic reaction to PG is a very real and documented thing that's been an issue long before e-cigs came around. At least us peeps who have "PG issues" have an option - thank god.

bryaninaustin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2012
Austin, TX
I normally don't vape tobacco juice. I like a number of the non-tobaccos from Velvet Cloud a lot. I sampled VCV's White Beard tobacco at a B&M over the weekend and was impressed, so I ordered bottles of White Beard and Blue Beard this week. I was not a fan of the Burley Beard which VCV sent me as a sample. It tasted like tobacco tea. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread