Vibration with the Pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faethe

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Hey - no worries on a response. I know you guys are busy. I have noticed that my Pilots batteries go dead rather quickly when I am vaping in the car. At first I thought it was the wind as I drive around with the windows down. When I corrected that, and put my thumb over the hole in the cartridge, I still have issues. I am pretty sure it's the vibration in the car. It seems to drain the batteries very quickly and cause the atomizers to go very hot and reach cutoff almost immediately.

No worries in the house. All my batteries have excellent life and I am quite please. But it seems I can not take the things out of the house without having the batteries fail! I have a total of 4 batteries, and it seems I drain all of them when I am out for more than an hour.

I have no idea how this will be corrected. Just thought I would report it to you. I just use the pilots inside the house now.

CandyGirl

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
It's probably from wind hitting the LED end of it. Try blowing on the LED and you'll see what I mean. It doesn't take much to trigger it.

I found a pen cap that fits over the LED end, and now I put that on it when I go out. I haven't had a problem with it since then. It also works nice for clipping it in my pocket like you would a pen.

wow, hadn't given this a thought. i want to use my 901 with a usb passthrough in my car for business trips. thought about making a nice little nest out of one of the cupholders but if air flow and vibration will trigger the battery i'm going to have to rethink that. you probably just saved me from making a big mistake.

thank you!

Daniel@P.S.

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
TN. USA
The Only model that we carry that does that is the Pilot.

Now, as far as the pilot, I have tried literally 40-45 different ecigs from
all the major ecig manufacturers. We only carry ecigs that I would
personally recommend/use ourselves. The Pilot is considered "New Technology"
and uses an electronic switch instead of the old style Pneumatic Switches in
the old batteries(901, Penstyle, Pee-Wee). It's simular to a microphone switch. So if you scream at it loud enough into it, it will turn on. It's not the best for driving with the radio up loud or windows down, but if you don't do those things it shouldn't be a problem. We have also had them programmed to hopefully lengthen the atomizer life. So yes, the Pilot is a great ecig, and highly recommended :)

-Daniel

zauriel

Feb 16, 2009
Springfield, MO
Yeah, vibration is certainly an issue with the Pilot. You didn't mention what vibration was actually occurring (engine shake?) or where you kept the Pilot when you weren't vaping (pocket? passenger seat?), but in my case it stems from my sound system. I've got one 12" sub in the trunk, and when I have the music up loud, the bass will set off the switch in the batteries, no matter where I put them. It took me a while to realize what was happening ... kind of freaked me out the first time. :D

So I've had to deal with not being able to have the music at a volume I like if I'm carrying the Pilot with me. It's not an incredible volume sacrifice, granted, but lower than I'd like to have it at. There's a possibility that when I'm carrying the Pilot disassembled in its case, that the batteries won't go off since they're muffled inside the case, but there's no way to tell because I'd have to open the case to look, exposing it to the bass again :p

I recently got my penstyle from the last ordering rush, and I've tested it in the car at very high volume and the bass doesn't activate the penstyle battery at all. I meant for the penstyle to be an at-home device, but I may have to start considering bringing it on the road. We'll see. The Pilot is much more convenient especially for direct dripping, which I see now you can't do with the penstyle (unless you are using a syringe -- and I wouldn't risk trying that in the car ;)).

Faethe

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Ah a pen cap! Good job - I have some of those :)

I just have it in my hand while I am driving. I keep the batteries inside the little case thing. I suppose I could keep it capped until I have a drag off it. Actually, I think my room fan is also setting it off (I live in Florida, circulation is necessary!).

OK. Fair enough. It's damn nice, anyway :D

Midnight Toker

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2009
Los Angeles
just use a usb passthrough in your vehicle in conjunction with a usb-cig lighter conversion and your set ....
There isn't a USB pass through made for the Pilot that I'm aware of yet. Let me know if I'm mistaken. Also this wouldn't help the fact that the cutoff has been reached.

I also have the same problem with the Pilot in the car. Definitely seems to be the windows for me. I was wondering if it had to do with pressure or noise. Either way, it reaches cutoff and the atomizer gets hot. Going to stick with the Evo in the car.

Last edited:

Faethe

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando, Florida
just use a usb passthrough in your vehicle in conjunction with a usb-cig lighter conversion and your set ....

I'd love to, but they don't exist yet :(

forgive me if I am missing something but wouldn't you be able to drag on it with the pen cap still on? (I'm a bit sleep deprived right now so please be kind if the answer seems really obvious)

Oh, you may have a point there! I was just thinking of taking the white plastic cap some of the pen carts come in and using it as a shield? It does have a hole in it, though?

]v[icr0-kn0x

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Yeah, the 401's are a little problematic in regards of vibration. I was with a buddy of mines in his car and he had a couple subs in the trunk. As soon as he was bumping it at a moderate level I can clearly see the led on my pilot go with the beat. I immediately disconnected the atomizer since the thing is being set off. This is where the 2 min. cut off time sometimes can save a bit of the juice on these batteries. I might have to pick up a 901 for cases where I might be areas where vibrations might around.

]v[icr0-kn0x

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I think it really depends how close proximity one is on regards of vibration. I think in a enclose area like a car are in a small room where the the bass is a bit over powering that this might set the thing off. This was the only experience I had when using the pilot. When I was out and bout, it was fine in my pocket. I would recommend that you do several test to see how your situation will be like.

Midnight Toker

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2009
Los Angeles
If subs set it off, will the thing be going off constantly if I have it in my pocket while I'm walking around? I was really wanting to get one for when I'm out and about, given the great battery life and all, and just use my 901 at home, but now I'm not so sure.
I carried mine in my pocket until I felt heat on my leg. Since then I got the Pilot case and haven't had any problems since.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
The Only model that we carry that does that is the Pilot.

Now, as far as the pilot, I have tried literally 40-45 different ecigs from
all the major ecig manufacturers. We only carry ecigs that I would
personally recommend/use ourselves. The Pilot is considered "New Technology"
and uses an electronic switch instead of the old style Pneumatic Switches in
the old batteries(901, Penstyle, Pee-Wee). It's simular to a microphone switch. So if you scream at it loud enough into it, it will turn on. It's not the best for driving with the radio up loud or windows down, but if you don't do those things it shouldn't be a problem. We have also had them programmed to hopefully lengthen the atomizer life. So yes, the Pilot is a great ecig, and highly recommended :)

-Daniel

I've said it in other threads, I'll say it in this one.

My friend's pilot batteries activate in my car with the windows up and stereo off. I drive a Nissan Altima...a VERY quiet, smooth ride. They still light up.

I dare you to tell me this is "normal operation".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread