Video: Experiment with a atomizer-less e-cig

Status
Not open for further replies.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
A great little vid Rob.....I had thought about that with my mains soldering Iron but I couldn't see how to get over the time they take to heat up and I am not sure they quite reach the actual temperatures that we really need for good vapour, but the way you drilled that atomizer out has made me think a bit more.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
How about the cold heat soldering iron gets hot instantly

Hey truck....I have just ordered one of those cold heat soldering irons....I looked up how they work after reading your post and although the tip has to touch something metal before it will heat ....I think I can see a way to utilize that. .....in fact that actually seems like the technology to make us an atomizer that will virtually never break down. The manufacturers of atomizers should be looking at that.

In fact I am a bit excited by that soldering iron ...I can see the potential for making a complete ecig and atomizer in one out of it. Forget all the other mods .....if it works that would be the king of mods.

Last edited:

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Robw--great job thinking it out. I have scene a MOD that someone made with a soldering Iorn --but here you are trying to get rid of the atomizer which is key. --Thanks

Pete--keep us up to date on your cold Soldering Iorn--should be interesting----Sun

I sure will sun....I am going to have trouble sleeping tonight.. it's potential has made me feel so excited.....lol.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
It's basically a heater coil inside a metal casing. Hence the slow heating and high battery drain. Would be very useful in the event of a hardware ban.

A 'cold soldering gun' example: http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/giftsforhim/69d3/

Proprietary tip material (ceramic?) and heats in 1 second apparently.

Last edited:

iam0z

Mar 10, 2009
Florida
the thing is with the cold soldering iron they warn against using rechargeable batteries in them i know this cause i own one already and the owners manual expressly warns against doing this.

other than that it heats up what bridges the two probes in front and closes the "circuit between them now if ejuice will conduct then all ya gotta do is submerse the tip like the wicking mesh in the atomiser but right now let me go get mine and see what happens when a drop of juice bridges the probes.

Last edited:

iam0z

Mar 10, 2009
Florida
ok here we go.

with my cold heat soldering iron first of all the power will stay on all the time and the ejuice was not conductive enough to close the circuit and create heat so i took a dead atomizer and touched the wicking material with the tip and man did it start smoking up a storm immediately but with no shut off other than to break contact with the mesh it will continue heating till it either burns up the tip or the batteries give out so............

there ya have it

robw

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2008
Austin Texas
Found this on how stuff works
HowStuffWorks "Resistance Soldering"
cold-heat-17.jpg

robw

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2008
Austin Texas
According to how stuff works this is a really old design, but the ability to get to 700 degrees in 1 second it the key. Cold heat looks like it could be a winner.

If there is a metal pin in the salvaged atty tube and the pin gets pushed into the cart stuffing when you push the cart in the atty tube then the cold heat should heat the pin instantly causing the juice to smoke.

The thinner the pin the better. This would allow standard carts to work like the new vapor king attys because the heating element will touch more surface area of the cart than a wicked atomizer does.

robw

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2008
Austin Texas
By pin, I was thinking about it being attached to the heating part of the solding iron. The pin faces up and when you put in a cart, it penetrates the cart filling so when the power is turned on, the pin heats up. This way there is heat being applied through out the length of the cart. This allows more surface area to be in contact with liquid at one time, thus creating more vapor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread