Video from the #IMPROOF rally this weekend in L.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
At least you have an excuse.. there was not a single piece of coverage on the local news about this. :(

Dang sorry I missed this, you are suprised there was no coverage by the news.
The mainstream news are the propagandist, people I knowo I am preaching
to the choir. The news sways the opinions of people they get people to believe what they
want them to believe so the masses go the way the powers that be want them to.
When I sit and watch the mainstream news I know it is solely for entertainment purposes only.
I apologize my local vapers for not making it there to stand with you.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Great video. The only thing I wish it had made clear (for those not in CA) was that the rally was in LA in response to the LA city counsels idiotic vaping ban.

Thank you for sharing.

That's what's frustrating - there is STILL a chance to convince Mayor Garcetti not to sign it as it stands. I'll be calling today, I have already emailed (with no response). I also got no response from my councilman to either email. I really hope for all of our sakes that they wind up on the wrong side of history.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
That's what's frustrating - there is STILL a chance to convince Mayor Garcetti not to sign it as it stands. I'll be calling today, I have already emailed (with no response). I also got no response from my councilman to either email. I really hope for all of our sakes that they wind up on the wrong side of history.

Since Mr Cameron has a "higher profile" than most vapers, maybe he could arrange a meeting with the Mayor.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

That press release does look like it was basically "after the fact". Considering the positive turn-out, if it was possible to contact Mr Cameron and all the participants and have a second rally where the media was notified, that could be beneficial. (I'm sure that is "easier said than done", however). Or it could expose that most media, other than one national news organization, is too much in-bed with certain political persuasions and the rally would be ignored or marginalized. Hopefully that would not be the case.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
That press release does look like it was basically "after the fact". Considering the positive turn-out, if it was possible to contact Mr Cameron and all the participants and have a second rally where the media was notified, that could be beneficial. (I'm sure that is "easier said than done", however). Or it could expose that most media, other than one national news organization, is too much in-bed with certain political persuasions and the rally would be ignored or marginalized. Hopefully that would not be the case.

Well, L.A. media will cover almost anything; I think they would have covered this, especially since it was on a weekend when news is a little slower. I think it had more to do with not getting the word out than no one being interested. We have a lot of news stations here and local press; for the most part they just want something to fill the time and a rally of potentially angry e-cigarette users would have been worth taking a look at.

The press release says "will sponsor" and gives the date and time, but it was posted on the same day as the rally. When it was actually sent out is anyone's guess.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Excellent video! And excellent rally! :thumbs:
Yes, why not repeat it - and see if you can get the press to cover it?
And why not take up the advice and get an appointment with the mayor?
Science, truth, health - everything is on our side. The only thing that is opposing us is greed.

Oh, and never mind not getting responses to your e-mails. I am used to that (European vaping activist here).
The more people mail in, the more you all will get noticed.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you - and for all the LA vapers!

Last edited:

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Excellent video! And excellent rally! :thumbs:
Yes, why not repeat it - and see if you can get the press to cover it?
And why not take up the advice and get an appointment with the mayor?
Science, truth, health - everything is on our side. The only thing that is opposing us is greed.

Oh, and never mind not getting responses to your e-mails. I am used to that (European vaping activist here).
The more people mail in, the more you all will get noticed.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you - and for all the LA vapers!

Thanks. We need it! :)

I am not a good person to represent vapers though - I did not start vaping to quit, I quit smoking 14 years ago. I just vape because it's everything I love about smoking and nothing I don't. In my emails, I have just talked about my mom who is starting to vape after 65 years of smoking. In person, I would just be somebody who likes to vape, it's not as compelling as all of those people who have used it to quit and might even be damaging to the cause. I can say for sure that as long as I can vape I am in NO danger of EVER smoking again - but it's just not as compelling.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
I did not start vaping to quit

Hey, that makes two of us. :)
I never wanted to quit smoking. Not once in my 35 years as a smoker. Why on earth should I?
I bought my first e-cig to use it in the evenings, to smoke less in the evenings. As I had been smoking too much in the evenings, and it was not doing me good. Well, I started up that first e-cig - on 4 Nov 2011 - and made the transition to vaping immediately, effortlessly and 100%. The time was right. And I had found a much better alternative. Doing what I love to do, enjoying myself, but without the harmful smoke as such.

But yes, I agree, your story is not for the ears of politicians. Much better to mention your mom, who is now starting to vape after 65 years of smoking :) - And wow, congrats to your mom!

And speaking of elderly ladies: have you seen Karen Lee? That rocks! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTYKoqQpny0

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Thanks. We need it! :)

I am not a good person to represent vapers though - I did not start vaping to quit, I quit smoking 14 years ago. I just vape because it's everything I love about smoking and nothing I don't. In my emails, I have just talked about my mom who is starting to vape after 65 years of smoking. In person, I would just be somebody who likes to vape, it's not as compelling as all of those people who have used it to quit and might even be damaging to the cause. I can say for sure that as long as I can vape I am in NO danger of EVER smoking again - but it's just not as compelling.

I'm hoping the #IMPROOF movement goes national and more vaping business' get on board so that no one looks at it like a single store's puff piece (literally). I think it's one of the most positive and catchy pr movements I've seen and wish it had started a year ago. Oh well. Maybe the timing's better now.

I think your under estimating your story. The way I look at it is that for every smoker that quits, there are apx 5 non-smokers affected because they live longer, healthier and more active lives. Plus don't smell or make the smoking mess with cigarette burns (no burning the house down with an ecig). And there's no second hand smoke. I think your side of the story, as essentially a non-smoker with a mother who switched from smoking to vaping is an important one.

It would be wonderful to get non-smokers to sit up and take notice of this rather than making snap judgements about what it looks like (and that's what many of my non-smoking friends have had a tendency to do). They don't understand why smokers don't "just quit", and in some cases like they did 20 years ago. They don't realize tobacco companies continue to sneak in chemicals that make cigarettes more addictive - and that's not illegal since it doesn't increase the nicotine content.

Anyway, hearing about the difference it made to you when someone close to you stopped smoking and started vaping is a good story to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread