Video review: Johnson Creek "Kona Coffee"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
YouTube - Video review of Johnson Creek's "Hawaiian Kona Coffee" flavor e-liquid.

This is a video review of Johnson Creek's "Hawaiian Kona Coffee" flavor e-liquid.

flavor - 5
vapor - 6
throat hit - 5
overall - 5

All reviews are done according to the following guidelines.

1) Clean, fresh atomizer. Blown out, rinsed, drained, blown out again and then "cooked off" to make sure NO LIQUID is left on the internal wick
2) Newly stuffed cart. Brand new blank for all intents and purposes - Cart topped off with the liquid being reviewed.
3) 2 drops of liquid placed on the metal wick of the atomizer
4) Freshly charged battery.
5) NEW GUIDELINE: If the liquid is a stated flavor (Coffee, Strawberry, Vanilla, Pineapple, Cola etc...) and does not match the flavor it is advertised to be an automatic 2 point deduction will be made to the "flavor" score. If it says "Cherry", I want to taste cherry.

Review categories:

Flavor : 1 - 10 (1=unusable, 10=heavenly)
Vapor Production : 1-10 (1= no vapor at all, 10=Marlboro 100 at below 0 )
Throat hit : 1-10 (1= no sensation at all, 10=Real cigarette)
Overall : 1-10 (Includes all of the above plus personal impressions relating to the liquid.)

Scoring :

1-2 : Unbearable. DO NOT BUY THIS STUFF.
3-4 : Very poor. Useable but not recommended. There's something that's not right and it kills the entire experience.
5-6 : Poor - Average. Meh...It makes vapor, it doesn't taste foul and it tickles a little. Nothing to write home about.
7-8 : Good - You can feel pretty confident buying this juice. It does what it's supposed to do and it does it well.
9-10 : Amazing! - THIS is the stuff that will kill tobacco smoking. Simply put, an amazing puff that's well worth the money.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Terraphon--You hit the nail right on the head--JC Coffee as well as some of their other flavors simply do not taste as stated. It is like JC uses its base Tobacco flavor for all of their flavors and then adds in whatever they are trying to make as a flavor. The underlying flavor in all of them is the same--which is inconsitant and bland at best.

Again--a very well done "bumper to bumper review and we appreciate the effort you put forth in your reviews and the time it takes to do each one--Thanks--Sun

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
You're right on the money, I think, Sun. I believe they DO take a base flavor and just chuck some flavoring into it. I also think they just do it somewhat willy-nilly with no real flavor QC.

It seems like they have a "close enough" mentality and that makes me feel abused.

I'm going to do one on their "Chocolate Almond Decadence" tonight or tomorrow and I also have their vanilla flavor with me, here.

Faethe

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Kona is my favorite flavor. To me it tastes exactly like Kona coffee. Kona is heavy and dark tasting. It's very acidic and very, very strong - almost like a gunpowder mix. (Gunpowder coffee = omg buzzzzzz). I am wondering how many people are familiar with Kona as it's not something you can get at starbucks? There is a place in orlando called the Kick ... coffee company that specializes in Hawain blends. The Johnson creek taste like a kona 4 shot cappuccino. Really, really strong.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Kona is my favorite flavor. To me it tastes exactly like Kona coffee. Kona is heavy and dark tasting. It's very acidic and very, very strong - almost like a gunpowder mix. (Gunpowder coffee = omg buzzzzzz). I am wondering how many people are familiar with Kona as it's not something you can get at starbucks? There is a place in orlando called the Kick ... coffee company that specializes in Hawain blends. The Johnson creek taste like a kona 4 shot cappuccino. Really, really strong.

uhm..

I'll venture to say that you're NOT drinking real Kona if you think it's heavy and dark tasting. Based on what you've said here, you're likely drinking a "Kona Blend" which is typically only 10% Kona.

1) True Kona costs anywhere from $30 to $50 per pound for the medium roast stuff. When you get up to the dark roast stuff (like peaberry and extra fancy) you're going to chuck out a LOT of cash. I bought 1/3 pound of Peaberry a couple years back for $42 (as compared to regular, store-bought coffees which average $7 per pound)

2) Kona coffee is not acidic...it is known, world wide, for being of mild acidity, very bright in flavor, not dark at all.

3) Kona is known for having a light to medium body and NOT being heavy. It is a medium weight coffee with very little residual flavor. It rests light on the tongue and tends to finish very smooth.

4) Kona is, generally speaking, deceptively strong in caffiene but not in flavor. The flavor of Kona coffee varies WIDELY depending on the grade of the bean and which part of the mountain it grew on. The cheap stuff we get here on the main land (the medium roasts) are known to be light in flavor with nutty or buttery tones.

If you're drinking something that's dark, heavy, acidic and very, very strong, you're not drinking Kona coffee.

Make sure that the beans you're getting your coffee from are 100% government certified, 100% Kona coffee beans. I'm sure you're going to find that you're drinking something else (like an extra dark roast (French / Italian roast) arabica with a 10% kona grove #1 or emporium prime blend).

Trust me on this. I've been drinking 100% Kona for 15+ years and have had every recognized grade.

Last edited:

ejfan1977

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Kingston, Washington
Terraphon, I really think you were generous with your score on the Kona Coffee. It had to be the worst flavor I tried so far out of the J.C. Samplers. That was the one that I kept on tasting the flavor in the background when I changed cartridges to another flavor. I still have to do a full cleaning of that atomizer. It truly does not taste like coffee to me at all. Your description of the Tuna w/o the fishy smell was spot on.

If someone had introduced me to vaping with that flavor I would have never started! I do know that will be my very last desperation sampler bottle if I run out of juice.

Anyway, love your revues. You do an awesome job! Thanks for your honest input!

Last edited:

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Terraphon, I really think you were generous with your score on the Kona Coffee. It had to be the worst flavor I tried so far out of the J.C. Samplers. That was the one that I kept on tasting the flavor in the background when I changed cartridges to another flavor. I still have to do a full cleaning of that atomizer. It truly does not taste like coffee to me at all. Your description of the Tuna w/o the fishy smell was spot on.

If someone had introduced me to vaping with that flavor I would have never started! I do know that will be my very last desperation sampler bottle if I run out of juice.

Anyway, love your revues. You do an awesome job! Thanks for your honest input!

Yeah...I had to do a full cleaning on my atomizer (like I was going to do a whole new review) to get the taste out of there.

Rotten.

And, no...it doesn't taste like coffee, at all. Tuna fish, all day. And I agree...if that had been my first vape...I'd still be on the Marlboros, methinks.

I gave it a 5, though, because it was better than the puke flavored stuff and I recon that SOME people may like it...I'm trying to stick with the idea that flavor is subjective.

And I'm glad you like my reviews...I plan on doing bunches more and I enjoy hearing that people are getting good information from them. The positive feedback I get is the primary reason I keep going on with them. If people weren't getting anything from them, I'd quit.

My next mission is to start reviewing e-cigs. Those will be slow going, though, because I don't feel like shelling out hundreds of dollars on hardware. If distributors were willing to send samples for review purposes I'd be cranking them out like there was no tomorrow but I can't even get them to do that with the liquids (Which I find odd...One would think that positive press would help them, if their product is any good) so...They'll happen as I can afford to make them happen.

ritalee76

ECF Veteran
I'm just in awe of the fact that you actually put that in your e-cig and *inhaled*!!! I couldn't get past the puppy breath smell!

But... it does make for good fun... I carried it around with me for a couple of days, asking every unsuspecting person I knew to take a whiff... Then told them I found a way to bottle baby puppy breath. :D

GrimmGreen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2009
Carson City, Nevada, United States
uhm..

I'll venture to say that you're NOT drinking real Kona if you think it's heavy and dark tasting. Based on what you've said here, you're likely drinking a "Kona Blend" which is typically only 10% Kona.

1) True Kona costs anywhere from $30 to $50 per pound for the medium roast stuff. When you get up to the dark roast stuff (like peaberry and extra fancy) you're going to chuck out a LOT of cash. I bought 1/3 pound of Peaberry a couple years back for $42 (as compared to regular, store-bought coffees which average $7 per pound)

2) Kona coffee is not acidic...it is known, world wide, for being of mild acidity, very bright in flavor, not dark at all.

3) Kona is known for having a light to medium body and NOT being heavy. It is a medium weight coffee with very little residual flavor. It rests light on the tongue and tends to finish very smooth.

4) Kona is, generally speaking, deceptively strong in caffiene but not in flavor. The flavor of Kona coffee varies WIDELY depending on the grade of the bean and which part of the mountain it grew on. The cheap stuff we get here on the main land (the medium roasts) are known to be light in flavor with nutty or buttery tones.

If you're drinking something that's dark, heavy, acidic and very, very strong, you're not drinking Kona coffee.

Make sure that the beans you're getting your coffee from are 100% government certified, 100% Kona coffee beans. I'm sure you're going to find that you're drinking something else (like an extra dark roast (French / Italian roast) arabica with a 10% kona grove #1 or emporium prime blend).

Trust me on this. I've been drinking 100% Kona for 15+ years and have had every recognized grade.

wow Terraphon , you really hit the nail on the head here , are you sure you weren't the professional coffee taster instead of me? ha ha

over the years i have had some HORRIBLE Kona coffees , they mostly taste like toothpicks or peanut butter , and some amazingly well balanced Konas , funny thing is you can put a cruddy Kona into a blend at %10-%15 , roast the hell out of it , and everyone will think they are drinking 'AUTHENTIC' Kona coffee

keep up the good work dude

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
I'm just in awe of the fact that you actually put that in your e-cig and *inhaled*!!! I couldn't get past the puppy breath smell!

But... it does make for good fun... I carried it around with me for a couple of days, asking every unsuspecting person I knew to take a whiff... Then told them I found a way to bottle baby puppy breath. :D

I was going to say puppy breath (because puppy breath smells EXACTLY like tuna minus the fishy smell) but I wasn't sure how many people would get the reference.

So...yeah...Puppy breath.

And doing the review was hard but...I do it for you, the consumers. My work may carry me to the edge...the precipice...the very BRINK of the pits of hell but I shall carry on...YES, I shall endure. I will puff the ... out of a dead Alsatian if the public needs it reviewed for this is my one and true calling.

ok, wow...I need to eat something.

i may not have ur reviewing rep terraphon but have you tried the coffee from janty though? i thought it was very good ..it was a low nic cart but tasted good...as stock vapor goes i wouldnt know i cut everything to insure i get good vapor.:p

I haven't but I'd like to. I've heard that the Janty liquids are pretty good.

My biggest problem is one of expense. I've only been doing this vaping thing for a month and I have about 100 mils in uncut liquid here. I'm a strict budgeter so if it's not on my books, I don't buy it and there's a LOT of stuff out there to try.

I tried it last night and it smells EXACTLY like puppy breath. Nobody else could smell it but to me it was overpowering.

Puppy breath in a bottle...mmmmm.

I don't mind puppy breath...I just don't want to TASTE it.

wow Terraphon , you really hit the nail on the head here , are you sure you weren't the professional coffee taster instead of me? ha ha

over the years i have had some HORRIBLE Kona coffees , they mostly taste like toothpicks or peanut butter , and some amazingly well balanced Konas , funny thing is you can put a cruddy Kona into a blend at %10-%15 , roast the hell out of it , and everyone will think they are drinking 'AUTHENTIC' Kona coffee

keep up the good work dude

hehe...nah, I've never been a taster, I just like my coffee and I know a good one when I taste it. Also, Kona is by far my #1 favorite of all time and 90% of what I drink...I keep some on hand at all times.

I was reminded, last night, that I need to send off for some beans. I'm nearly out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread